Fuel Booster

TynMahn

This seems like a bug but may not be.

Why can I fly with all aux tanks (fuse, and drop tanks) without the fuel booster but, if I try to fly with the wing tanks, I HAVE to use the fuel booster?

Obviously, or at least apparently, there is a mechanical pump providing fuel pressure to the engine and works fine except when the wing tanks are in selected.

Also, I've watched a few YouTube videos of people flying real p51's and they turn off the fuel booster after takeoff and turn it on right before landing.

In this game, the engine dies if it isn't on and you are drawing from the wing tanks.

This seems like a bug but may not be.

Why can I fly with all aux tanks (fuse, and drop tanks) without the fuel booster but, if I try to fly with the wing tanks, I HAVE to use the fuel booster?

Obviously, or at least apparently, there is a mechanical pump providing fuel pressure to the engine and works fine except when the wing tanks are in selected.

Also, I've watched a few YouTube videos of people flying real p51's and they turn off the fuel booster after takeoff and turn it on right before landing.

In this game, the engine dies if it isn't on and you are drawing from the wing tanks.

If you fly level and gently w/o any negative gs fuel booster is not required.

If you do aerobatics or combat or fly high, fuel booster should be on.

Take note that some p-51 had 3 position switch on fuel booster off-normal-on dont know what exactly normal mean but it maby some automatic system which turn fule pump on if drop in fuel pressure accure.

Another thing is that most p-51 flying today could have modified fuel system so you cant realy tell what is going on in modern p-51

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I believe they do so to avoid expensive and rare spare parts being worn out too soon (the same why they don't go full MP never, ever). But in a combat environment with manoeuvring and everything (not to mention you don't pay bills in the simulator) you should use it.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I believe they do so to avoid expensive and rare spare parts being worn out too soon (the same why they don't go full MP never, ever).

S!

Check p-51 called QuickSilver this one is rocking 61' quite often

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Normally in aviation the fuel pump is on for takeoff and landing + any acrobatics and inversions. I have noticed that in a normal flight the fuel pressure drops and engine cuts out without any inversions or negative g

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I get your point about them not wanting to unnecessarily burn up parts that aren't needed. And also, that they would not regularly push the a/c to situations where a pilot fighting for his life would.

However, my point was, if I try to run on just the mechanical pump, in level flight and drawing from the wing tanks, the engine will die.

I will have to check to see at what other specific man press and rpm this happens at but, I do know that at 40-45 mp and 27 rpm, the engine will die on the pump alone if drawing from wing tanks in level flight.

My question is, "is this correct"? Because it doesn't seem like it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Normally in aviation the fuel pump is on for takeoff and landing + any acrobatics and inversions. I have noticed that in a normal flight the fuel pressure drops and engine cuts out without any inversions or negative g

You forget to add high alt operations in this case fuel vapor may appeare in fuel lines so you need them pressureised so booster pumps ON

maby after switching to another wing tank you need to flip booster on for second to pressurise fuel line.

check this.

Looks like drop tanks are pressurised by vacum pump exhaust.

And wing tanks need initail booster pump to make it work.

Fuselage tank is mounter higher then wings tanks so probably can work w/o booster.

So when you switch to unused yet wing tank probably mechanical pumo is not able to suck fuel from tank, becouse there is too much air in wing's tank fuel lines.

That is my gues. Another gues is that booster switch is inter connected to fuel selector so it will turn on fuel pump from selected tank.

This looks like good answer to topic question

main-qimg-0efd1d63968d74ed3735a08d08f437ba

Edited by grafspee

So Yesterday i tried this and i was able to fly very long time on wing tanks without Fuel pump.

im not completely sure what i did but i think when i moved the throttle to idle (was going into dive) the pressure dropt and i needed the pump again. but in cruise the pressure was stable without. i then tried it on higher altitude (35k ft) and no luck even with pump, the pressure was low

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

So Yesterday i tried this and i was able to fly very long time on wing tanks without Fuel pump.

im not completely sure what i did but i think when i moved the throttle to idle (was going into dive) the pressure dropt and i needed the pump again. but in cruise the pressure was stable without. i then tried it on higher altitude (35k ft) and no luck even with pump, the pressure was low

Fuel pressure will drop down up high, becouse lower ambient pressure(pressure boost from fuel pump remain same but gage is calibrated for 1ATM at 35k ft pressure is about 0.24ATM).Up high you will need fuel pump on. If you climb fast warm fuel can start boiling creating a lot of vapor, same may happen in fuel lines so booster pump on will pressurise fuel lines preventing creation of vapor.

Edited by grafspee

(was going into dive) the pressure dropt and i needed the pump again.

This is simple, i assume that you simply push stick forward, so you put negative g on plane, and in negative g you need fuel booster on.

Edited by grafspee

I'm going to go with grafspee's explanation being correct.

And given that, I just have to say that, this kind of attention to detail is what makes me spend so much time in this one over the other one.....even though the other one is getting a pony soon, it won't be near as bada** awesome as this one is

I'm going to go with grafspee's explanation being correct.

And given that, I just have to say that, this kind of attention to detail is what makes me spend so much time in this one over the other one.....even though the other one is getting a pony soon, it won't be near as bada** awesome as this one is

its not just negative G, while landing i have it quite often that I forget the booster, and when i prepare for landing the engines quits on me. so I guess with low throttle setting you also need the booster.

yeah, the detail is amazing, I was watching alot of P-51 youtube videos lately and there is not much what they do differently than us.

I really have problem flying other modules now, flying a jet is awesome, but flying and mastering the Mustang is legendary

SFMBE

its not just negative G, while landing i have it quite often that I forget the booster, and when i prepare for landing the engines quits on me. so I guess with low throttle setting you also need the booster.

yeah, the detail is amazing, I was watching alot of P-51 youtube videos lately and there is not much what they do differently than us.

I really have problem flying other modules now, flying a jet is awesome, but flying and mastering the Mustang is legendary

Problem in DCS is that you realy dont feel g while flying, it is so easy to get in to negative g w/o noticing it, anyway negative g is not only reason when fuel pump can suck air, same goes with bank or anything which will displace fuel in your tanks. Low throttle setting should not matter, thing which should matter is rpm, fuel pump efficiency will drop with rpm.

But if you fly carefully you can land w/o booster on i did it couple times, its just safety feature

same goes with bank or anything which will displace fuel in your tanks. Low throttle setting should not matter, thing which should matter is rpm, fuel pump efficiency will drop with rpm.

But if you fly carefully you can land w/o booster on i did it couple times, its just safety feature

yes I was not sure its the throttle because it doesn't happen instantly when lowering the throttle

it could very well be the bank I use for my landing pattern.

i keep RPM at 2700 so i dont think its that.

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

yes I was not sure its the throttle because it doesn't happen instantly when lowering the throttle

it could very well be the bank I use for my landing pattern.

i keep RPM at 2700 so i dont think its that.

eventualy rpm will drop at 26' at speed arouynd 120mph you will get lower rpm then 2700.

It can stack numerous things to starve engine, but it wont happen instantly,