Lantirn navigation

ebabil

Hi guys,

I don't have much knowledge about lantirn. But i see some pics some F16's are still carrying lantirn pod along with litening for just navigation. Why is it still needed for navigation? and can we use it for navigation with our tomcat?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

and can we use it for navigation with our tomcat?

Yes, you can indeed.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There’s a confusion here. LANTIRN originally consists in a designation pod and a navigation pod which includes a terrain following radar. Those were used on F-15Es and F-16Cs. But on the Tomcat, only the designation pod was integrated. Its only use in terms of navigation is helping fixing the INS while overflying a known landmark.

There’s a confusion here.

I'm not sure there is/was. ebabil just asked in general if it is possible to use the LANTIRN for navigation purposes on the DCS Tomcat, to which the answer remains "yes". He hasn't asked about specific navigation uses. It can not just be used to obtain GPS coordinates and assist in nav fixes, but it can also serve a FLIR at night. TFR is obviously not included in the Tomcat LANTIRN as you pointed out correctly.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

So, there are 2 lantirn variants right? one for nav and one for tpod?

As far as i know, we can not order to our rio to turn on lantirn so that we can use it just for navflir. It would be good if we could.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

So, there are 2 lantirn variants right? one for nav and one for tpod?

AFAIK it's not 2 different variants of the LANTIRN, it's just that the LANTIRN isn't completly integrated into the Tomcat.

As far as i know, we can not order to our rio to turn on lantirn so that we can use it just for navflir. It would be good if we could.

You can't order Jester anything in regards to the LANTIRN right now. He doesn't know how to use it at all. He will get that ability soon though.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ok, i hope HB makes a complete lantirn and pilot can use it for nav

Youtube

There are 2 pods.

AN/AAQ-13 (navigation) and AN/AAQ-14 (targeting).

The navigation pod was for the F-15E and F-16.

Maybe the NAV designate for lantirn~two-stage trigger~full action.

Edited by FWind

Maybe the NAV designate for lantirn

What you have to do is find a visual point on LANTIRN, punch the coordinates on LANTIRN into a waypoint (what Fix Point, or FP is nominally for), then have the pilot fly over that point and have the RIO mark on top and then Fix Enable.

Edited by Home Fries

We might be talking about two different things. As was indicated earlier in the thread, the LANTIRN system nominally consists of two pods for both navigation and targeting. The F-14 only integrated the targeting portion of the system, and even then the GPS receiver in the AN/AAQ-14 pod is not integrated with the Tomcat's WCS.

Where I was going is that since the GPS does not communicate with the INS, what you can do is take GPS coordinates of a visually identifiable position, then perform a visual fix to update the INS.

There are 2 pods.

AN/AAQ-13 (navigation) and AN/AAQ-14 (targeting).

Oh, didn't know it was actually two different pods when fully implemented. :thumbup:

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

We might be talking about two different things. As was indicated earlier in the thread, the LANTIRN system nominally consists of two pods for both navigation and targeting. The F-14 only integrated the targeting portion of the system, and even then the GPS receiver in the AN/AAQ-14 pod is not integrated with the Tomcat's WCS.

Where I was going is that since the GPS does not communicate with the INS, what you can do is take GPS coordinates of a visually identifiable position, then perform a visual fix to update the INS.

You will found lantirn manual on eBay.

Keyword: 01-F14AAA-2-2-18