Pimax - Setup questions from a Rift owner

obious

Hi All,

I've recently had the opportunity to buy a Pimax 5K+ from a friend of mine who received his backer unit about a week or so ago. Long story short, he doesn't have a machine capable of running the Pimax (GTX 1060) and so is graciously selling me his unit.

I've zero experience with the HTC Vive (currently own a Rift) but understand that the Pimax currently only uses the Vive base stations to track head movement etc.

Question is, what else apart from a base station (which current go for around £180 on Amazon UK) do I need to get up and running? Does the Pimax come with a power cable of some kind or do I need to get one of those as well?

Thanks

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Hi All,

I've recently had the opportunity to buy a Pimax 5K+ from a friend of mine who received his backer unit about a week or so ago. Long story short, he doesn't have a machine capable of running the Pimax (GTX 1060) and so is graciously selling me his unit.

I've zero experience with the HTC Vive (currently own a Rift) but understand that the Pimax currently only uses the Vive base stations to track head movement etc.

Question is, what else apart from a base station (which current go for around £180 on Amazon UK) do I need to get up and running? Does the Pimax come with a power cable of some kind or do I need to get one of those as well?

Thanks

You need one Vive base station (around $80USD on ebay) and you'll get 6DOF. The base station *should* come with the USB and power cable.

Pimax comes with all the power/DisplayPort/USB cable so you don't need anything else.

You'll need to install SteamVR and PiMAXTool as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I was also a Rift owner and also recently bought the pimax 5k+.

I bought a base station for $45, and power cord separately. now thinking of buying a second base station and they are all over $100 before shipping.

For setup, it is not enough to go the control panel and update graphics card driver there. You also have to update driver in GeForce Experience, assuming you use nVidia card like most people. and update steamVR.

The base station sometimes does not seem to 'talk' to the pimax headrest. For me, in pitools when i turn on base station, it appears in steamVR, but then headset goes off. Tried restarting pimax service, disable power management etc various suggestion from google, but the most effective way for base station to detect headset again in steamVR was to slowly rotate the headset 360 degrees! weird but it works.

I also found the default pimax strap really uncomfortable. then i found people using the vive delux audio strap. use velcros to hold it to the pimax. much more comfortable, plus it comes with pretty good audio. the pimax headset does not come with ear phones like the Rift. If you want a perfect fit then pay for print service to print those vive 3D parts that clip the delux strap to the pimax set.

pimax is much wide field of view and higher resolution than the Rift. can't go back to the rift. It still has screendoor effect, but is still better. Using the Rift, it's so blurry I could not see ground targets even with labels turned on till i'm almost hitting the ground. With pimax, the ground target are much easier to spot. If you fly ground attack planes like the A10, it makes all the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes... Vive controllers work perfectly fine and pair with Pimax 5K+ without any problems...

Tried Beat Sabre (Steam), Dead Burried (Oculus), Elven Assasin (Oculus)... all work as expected and transparenty...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

You can also stop the Oculus service from running, easy to do with the Oculus Tray Tool.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|