Engine Overheating Issue - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 03:28 AM   #1
Cool Breeze

Default Engine Overheating Issue

I'm wondering if someone else is able reproduce or having a similar issue.

As the title says I'm having severe heat issues while airborne. The placard in the cockpit says don't operate cowl flaps above 225 IAS, but I'm not able to keep temps from spiking regardless of power settings without opening up the cowl around a quarter open. With the cowl closed even above 250 IAS results in a rapid rise in temps.

I've tried several power settings max continuous 43.5IN 2600RPM down to min cruise 31IN 2150RPM auto-lean which still nets me 250IAS at around 5,000ft MSL.

Any help confirming or letting me know what I'm doing wrong please let me know, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: trk Thunderbolt Engine Overheating.trk (2.71 MB, 12 views)

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
John F. Kennedy
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #2
Eldur
Veteran

I literally can't get the CHT below something just over 200° even with the cowl flaps fully opened at any speed. Closing them makes the temp skyrocket yesterday. The only way to reduce that temp is cutting throttle to idle. Even if I fly at just 20" MP and less than 2000 RPM, it's over 200. Looked better in the preview videos. Well, at least the damage isn't modelled yet

OTOH it takes ages to warm up the engine oil...
Old 06-04-2020, 05:24 AM   #3
ShadowFrost

To add to the overheating issue, I literally can't get the oil pressure down on ramp or warmed up. Seems like temperature modeling of the engine has some work to be done.
ShadowFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #4
grafspee

Just for record, Auto lean will make engine run hotter, not cooler.
On lean mixture you get more power of the engine, it runs hotter too.
This is why Auto lean is more fuel economy, same fuel -> more power -> more speed -> more range

Last edited by grafspee; 06-04-2020 at 07:32 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #5
Cool Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFrost View Post
To add to the overheating issue, I literally can't get the oil pressure down on ramp or warmed up. Seems like temperature modeling of the engine has some work to be done.

So I've sat through and baby sat the 'Bolt for about 15 minutes. At around 10 minutes the oil pressure will start literally climbing off the scale. Then after a few seconds peaked out the needle will drop around 20psi a few seconds later it will drop into the "normal" range.
So I guess hot starts are going to be the order of the day until we get a hot fix or the next update.

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
John F. Kennedy
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
Art-J
Veteran

^ The same behaviour could be seen on one of Grim Reaper's preview vids last week, so it seems to be some WIP issue that carried over to our release build. We'll have to wait for the first fixes I guess.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
Gentoo87

I to experienced this last night, low RPM, in cruise range form Manifold pressure. Thank fully the cowl flaps are not taking damage over 225. I would rather blow the cowl flaps than the engine.
Gentoo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
Redglyph

It would be nice to see a list or a summary of the known issues and not-yet-implemented features, otherwise it's hard to know what to report :/

In any case, I haven't found that yet, have they posted something like that?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
KBALLZZ

Noticed this my first day flying the plane. Wondering what the heck I was doing wrong because the CHT would just rise off the charts when flying within limits.
KBALLZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
fjacobsen

I think many engine readings are off right now.
Excessive CHT.
Weird acting Oil pressure
Strange oil tempearture.

And so on.,,

I guess it´s cause we still are in early acces, so let´s wait and see what will happen next.