New to Warbirds - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
jomonto

Default New to Warbirds

Hello everyone,

New to DCS world. I would like to start with the WWII warbirds.
Any recommendations on getting started? I saw the youtubes about the P-47 release, which looks great.

Is there a beginners path I should follow?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and help,

-john
jomonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 AM   #2
razo+r
Veteran

Go for the plane that interests you the most. No point in going for the best/easiest one if you are not interested in it.
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
grafspee

My advice is. Buy them all.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo+r View Post
Go for the plane that interests you the most. No point in going for the best/easiest one if you are not interested in it.
+10000000
This is straight up the best advice you can be given. No further replies after this needed
Maps: Normandy, Nevada

Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
saburo_cz

The best idea is try the TF-51D first.
It is free and you will see what it requires, except weapons.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
xvii-Dietrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by saburo_cz View Post
The best idea is try the TF-51D first.
It is free and you will see what it requires, except weapons.
@saburo_cz beat me to it... this is the No.1 piece of advice.

You get to check your hardware, your controllers, and the feel of the WW2 conventional-style landing gear (and all the issues with ground handling, etc. that this brings). If you can manage standard flights in the TF-51D on the Caucasus map you'll know what to expect when you buy a module.

Then, as @raz+or says, get the one that interests you the most. That way you'll have the enthusiasm to stick with it. All DCS aircraft required a lot of dedication to get out of them the depth and nuance that makes DCS so rewarding.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
jomonto

Great advise from everyone. I appreciate all of the input.

I still haven't installed DCS on my gaming machine yet. I'm slowly transitioning back to work (from working at home). So I can remove all the work stuff from my desk and dedicate my desk monitor back to ME. I'll get it installed tomorrow, get a HOTAS ordered and get started.

Looking forward to learning-

Thanks again,
-john
jomonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:57 AM   #8
diogofalcao

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomonto View Post
Great advise from everyone. I appreciate all of the input.

I still haven't installed DCS on my gaming machine yet. I'm slowly transitioning back to work (from working at home). So I can remove all the work stuff from my desk and dedicate my desk monitor back to ME. I'll get it installed tomorrow, get a HOTAS ordered and get started.

Looking forward to learning-

Thanks again,
-john
You will go nuts sometimes, just do not give up. It's very rewarding when you can finally land a bf109 or a spitfire with precision.

Also, i can say that a good rudder pedal makes a hell lot of difference. Keeping the ball centered with a twist joystick is not the easiest task (for me at least).
Old 06-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
zcrazyx

as others have said id start with the tf 51 first because its free and teaches you the most about warbirds for the least amount of cash paid up front, it'll teach you ground handling, engine management, (rpm, fuel, mixture mags, oil and coolant) as well as the techniques for take off and landing. You will likely need to get good at managing the above manually, which can be done with fuel dilute switch and with 2 multi position switches on the left hand side that control the coolant and oil doors on the scoop below.

another peice of advice is to skim through the manual but have fun first and foremost, dont be afraid to crash, its not real life and you can respawn and restart which after a while doesnt take that long.

if you do wish to get into fast however i would suggest getting someone to show you the ropes as well as to look at videos regarding tail wheel techniques for wich i would be happy to give some advice on.

after all this then you can choose an aircraft and the fun of combat begins .

an aircrafts difficulty is largely subjective as time spent in the aircraft will skew a pilots view of it though personally i would think the I-16 and Spitfire are the hardest on the ground to handle due to not having a tailwheel lock and the spitfire having a different system for braking.

the 109 has a lock and in combat is a real menace if flown well as the performance figures are out standing.

as for the FW190s i treat them like mustangs, they handle well on the ground and in the air but mustangs will have an advantage over them in some places.

one major difference between axis and allied aircraft is the engine management. for allied aircraft its a lot more hands on with regards to pitch control where as for axis aircraft it seems to be more automated.

personally im waiting for the mosquito, p47 and corsair to release.
zcrazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
Shahdoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcrazyx View Post
one major difference between axis and allied aircraft is the engine management. for allied aircraft its a lot more hands on with regards to pitch control where as for axis aircraft it seems to be more automated.

personally im waiting for the mosquito, p47 and corsair to release.

Well, for starters, it helps to know that you do not control the pitch on the current allied aircraft (Spit/Mustang at least), you control the RPM. The systems on the aircraft control the pitch. Realizing the difference will go a long way in understanding the aircraft better.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote