[REPORTED]Not accurate starting procedure - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
grafspee

Default [REPORTED]Not accurate starting procedure

Acording to spit manual, spitfire quiped with merlin 66, pilot suposed to move cut off lever forward before priming and cranking is not working in DCS. It is impossible to start DCS Spitfire this way,which simply cancel claim that DCS is accurate simulator game. PLS fix this
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
Magic Zach

If an ED mod sees this...

I would also like to add that I'd like the mixture to be (as an option) set as an axis control.

There's also a myriad of other things that can be done to add more simulation to the engines. If the flight model is like it's own area of a simulation, and the upcoming damage model is its own simulation (hopefully), perhaps engines can have their own simulation as well.

Though, after reading Nick Grey's post on Hoggit, I suppose I can understand if it's not feasible currently
Maps: Normandy, Nevada

Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Robin885

You absolutely can start it by the book, that's how I actually make it work.
Pump with the engine primer pump, put the fuel cut off lever to the forward position, use the wobble pump until the whole fuel circuit is pressurized, and quickly use the starter. Once the engine catches, give it a hand by using the wobble pump until it runs normally.
Robin885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Art-J
Veteran

^ Which is anything BUT by the book, at least not when talking about that book...
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...17&postcount=5
... and that video for a comparison reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsJBjbCyvM

You're supposed to pressurize the system first (wobble or electric pump, doesn't matter), move the lever second and have enough time to prime the engine crank it, start it and operate primer pump only to make sure it runs smoothly. Can't do it in DCS, as the plane looses pressure immediately after moving the lever.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
^ Which is anything BUT by the book, at least not when talking about that book...
But that's not "the book", that's the very well known "pilot notes" and it mentions at the same time several versions while doesn't focus in anyone of them in particular. Not every engine version works the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
... and that video for a comparison reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsJBjbCyvM
And that's a very well known video either, a video which doesn't follow "the book" at all and is from a time in which they flew and kept the thing airworthy they way they could or just wanted even though original procedures, books or whatever says different. Not to mention they didn't care how it was in the very old times, they just flew in a cheaper and easier way than nowadays.

Current module procedures and details comes from a modern well maintained and as close as possible to the original warbird collection and people who fly them. Probably they know better.

S!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
Art-J
Veteran

Although pilot's notes refer to many variants indeed, paragraph 36 very clearly defines procedure for exact "our" config with 66-series engine, electric pump (optionally manual one, although it doesn't make any difference in the sequence order), and late mixture control in the form of a lever.

It's all there written in plain English, and it's followed in the video to the letter by the way.

Even if current module procedure is based on some modern notes for some reason, if the fuel system was modelled correctly the wartime procedure would and should work too. That's how it is in DCS Mustang for example, where one can follow both old manuals and modern procedures to start the engine just fine. I don't see why DCS Spit should be exception.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
grafspee

i would not be surprised if modern spitfires were using packard build merlins including fuel system ete etc.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
Ala13_ManOWar

They don't, indeed, unless required like in the Mk.XVI.

S!
Old 09-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
grafspee

I would say that pilot notes are explaining this matter pretty detailed, especial in priming part where use of high volatile fuel is required for start up. I would say that is more detailed then manual it self because it is focusing on stuff what pilot actual do. Where full manual is launched preaty much once, pilot notes are launched and revisited lots of times.

http://zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images...PIT9MANUAL.pdf

Last edited by grafspee; 09-30-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
grafspee