Forum Title

MrDieing

Creature is correct. I was involved in military aviation for 25 years. Not once ever did I hear the F-16 referred to as Fighting Falcon. Pilots and GCA alike referred to them as F-16 or Viper. And I had a friend who was a DFC recipient and flew them. It's the Viper.

When the bird was new, the community wanted to call it Viper after the Battlestar Galactica viper.

The brass didn't like that idea and came up with a PC name of their own. In the beginning the Viper moniker was a nickname. It became ubiquitous over time. It's like the Hawg. The brass would never go with Hog or Hawg or Warthog.

The only people I have ever heard call it a Fighting Falcon were modelers, TV personnel, and some authors...and of course Gilman Louie

Edited by Zeagle

call it the fighting falcon.

I mean the F18 was called the Hornet, but people nickname it the bug

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Which is wrong. A hornet isn't a bug, it's an insect.

vidalfacepalm.jpg

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I just posted about this in another thread and didn't see this. I too would rather see them use its official moniker of Fighting Falcon over a nickname. I have the same gripe with the Warthog nickname getting overused for the A-10 as if it's the official name over Thunderbolt II.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I just posted about this in another thread and didn't see this. I too would rather see them use its official moniker of Fighting Falcon over a nickname. I have the same gripe with the Warthog nickname getting overused for the A-10 as if it's the official name over Thunderbolt II.

Best not tell the USAF Viper Demo Team

You don't have a nickname that your friends call you?

Nothing wrong with a nickname. It just seems odd to not market it under its official name. I don't foresee the RAZBAM F-15E being marketed under the name Mud Hen. Outside of the marketing angle, you can use whatever name you like. I've always used Falcon or Viper.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Tomcat drivers call it a bug. I believe they mean it as an insult.

ah yes, the ones in the museum? just like their turkey?

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• ED Team

As mentioned earlier, this is the name will be going with and it will not be changing. While we appreciate the feedback as always, this has already been settled.

As always, try as we might, we can never make everyone happy.

Thanks