Improved stability and dedicated server - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #81
Drexx
Closed Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
I only see 50 or so posts in this thread, some by the same people, I guess that is not a lot of people complaining about multiplayer either.
I LITERALLY don't have time to complain in this form, I need to work on DDCS code and lately you see it as the top multiplayer server day in and day out, I sell LOTS of modules, and I am pretty sure I can prove that MOST of the hours played in DCS is in fact multiplayer, want to trade metrics, I log everything! (people play 6-8 hours a day every day, I doubt ANYONE does this in single player),

How about taking my bug reports seriously for once, I think I know what I am talking about when I explain all the desync bugs, and I am PURPOSELY picking ONLY the desync bugs, I could fill the bug list up with 50+ backend DCS bugs with the API(events sending me null objects etc), desynced things, weird loading issues but I use my time better to give you guys a FOCUSED most painful group of bugs so you get that fixed first then move on to the next set, but I see NOTHING getting fixed on the desync front(which requires 2 computers to test the dataobjects), im tired of people moving large base groups on the map causing massive lag (its mostly new people that don't know any better, again ["uncontrolled"] flag does NOT work on clients when server has units spawned in with addGroup())

Bugs in question:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212793 https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209552 https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209551 https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209554 https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209553

I don't complain because its a waste of my time right now, I need a better dialog opened up to the ED devs, I am a dev myself, I code 6-8 hours a day on average, for this game, for over a year now(on top of 6 hours of coding at my day job), I am pledged to the cause, I really understand its quarks, and when my bug reports get ignored(reported != fixed) and not fixed for months at a time... it makes me think..

Yes, what you said COMPLETELY triggered me, lack of complaints is NOT a reason to not fix the game!

BTW, I really make DCS World shine, jump on my server sometime, especially when I get the second hardcore one up, I PROMISE you, you will have no desire to play single player ever again pretty much. I get DAILY comments like 'your saving the game', 'I wouldn't be playing DCS without your server', seriously, I need more support, I am a free resource that sells lots of modules for you guys......

Sincerely, I want to make this game better and help you guys, and I understand you might be short staffed, which would explain a lot.

Andrew Finegan
-Drex

Last edited by Drexx; 07-11-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #82
Kayos

It sure would be nice for them to work on fixing multiplayer one day. As far as I can remember this has been promised for years. Hopefully they actually do something about it now that we have a unified version with 2.5
Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #83
flyingFrisbee

Quote:
I only see 50 or so posts in this thread, some by the same people, I guess that is not a lot of people complaining about multiplayer either.

Well, since ED seems to base whether or not it delivers a workable experience for those in the community dedicated enough to host servers based on the number of people who reply in a (to put it nicely) strictly moderated forum thread, I guess I'll chime in.

In lieu of an actual dynamic campaign, multiplayer is by far the most engaging, dynamic, and challenging environment to play DCS. There's so much potential for DCS here if people like Drex or the hoggit admins didn't have to spend hours a day just maintaining their servers and working around months-old bugs, let alone improving them. Of course you're going to have a lot on your plate, but online play often forces players to be sneaky, clever, and competent with their aircraft, and if properly supported would easily outshine the default singleplayer experience.

Even as I type this, there are 40 people connected to DDCS in the middle of a weekday, at least in NA. Routinely the server is filled in the evenings because the server can't handle more than 50 people online at once. There's a really strong case to be made that buggy multiplayer with obscene loading times and routine freezes after loading with a barebones lobby, briefing tab, map, communication, and GCI system in is the reason for your reportedly low percent of people who actually play online.

Last edited by flyingFrisbee; 07-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #84
0xDEADBEEF

Quote:
You really said this, did you? The amount of ignorance ED puts towards MP is puzzling. We live in 2018, and ED has buildt up a pretty solid reputation about banning people who complain about things in the forums.

Please open your ears towards those people who spend tons of hours developing multiplayer for DCS. Drex might not be the first who's done incredible stuff, but the effort and skill/knowledge he puts into this is one of a kind.

Crowdsourcing is real nowadays. Ignoring Multiplayer in Gameplay is just having your eyes closed, and the past few years that I've flown DCS I can only say: ED has grossly ignored Multiplayer as if it was a lesser sidekick of singleplayer. Have a look at what made money in Gaming the past decade. Hint, it's not singleplayer. People love to fly together, not alone.

I've said it before, my opinion has been flagged extreme but I stand to it. If you would improve Multiplayer you would see the numbers turn rapidly from SP to MP. It is just so much more engaging than flying alone. DCS excells in simulation and graphics. But as with every simulator the gameplay implementation is not worth mentioning and IMHO the biggest flaw DCS has, yet it gets the least attention.

Last edited by 0xDEADBEEF; 07-11-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #85
sirscorpion

Quote:
There are some major issues with stability and performance on Mplayer servers, rubber banding still happens even on the best servers.

This is a combination of no dedicated servers, server authoritative lag compensation/security. I would add to drexx list as well that some core systems of how an aircraft is spawned is a horror for mission makers and Mplayer interface which is laggy as well.

Aircraft should be spawned from a list "AKA select airport > select aircraft > select load out" is a much more stream lined system. attach to it possible cost as well, cost for the armament as well further gives mission makers some really powerful options.

I think the Mplayer hosts and ED can have a talk, there is so much potential here.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #86
0xDEADBEEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingFrisbee View Post
Well, since ED seems to base whether or not it delivers a workable experience for those in the community dedicated enough to host servers based on the number of people who reply in a (to put it nicely) strictly moderated forum thread, I guess I'll chime in.

In lieu of an actual dynamic campaign, multiplayer is by far the most engaging, dynamic, and challenging environment to play DCS. There's so much potential for DCS here if people like Drex or the hoggit admins didn't have to spend hours a day just maintaining their servers and working around months-old bugs, let alone improving them. Of course you're going to have a lot on your plate, but online play often forces players to be sneaky, clever, and competent with their aircraft, and if properly supported would easily outshine the default singleplayer experience.

Even as I type this, there are 40 people connected to DDCS in the middle of a weekday, at least in NA. Routinely the server is filled in the evenings because the server can't handle more than 50 people online at once. There's a really strong case to be made that buggy multiplayer with obscene loading times and routine freezes after loading with a barebones lobby, briefing tab, map, communication, and GCI system in is the reason for your reportedly low percent of people who actually play online.

And that said, drex is literally just scratching the surface of what can be possible. Really all we are longing for is some commitment by ED, instead of having their community managers say not enough people complain about it, yet ban them if they loose contenance and then get replies like these. Sorry Nineline, I am still puzzled by the words you chose. They are so descriptive about how we feel about how ED stands towards Multiplayer.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #87
microvax

This is a general complaint about the situation that in 2018 we have a single threaded game engine that requires graphics capability to run a server.

Business Intelligence delivered right to your doorstep.

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #88
JonathanRL

Quote:
I am a somewhat new player but I have to say seeing this kind of a response from a community manager does not really encourage me to put more money into modules.

You see, I used to play a lot of Single Player Flight Sims. A lot. I daresay DCS is my first venture in flying Multiplayer - and I got kinda hooked. Partially it was due to a lack of content, first and foremost it was due to the helpful community who came with suggestions, flew missions and designed scenarios where I could jump in for a fun fight.

Do please take these considerations seriously, especially when you do not even have to design the actual missions or dynamic experiences - just make sure I can change plane without crashing and that my mates are still there after 30 minutes flying to a waypoint.

Last edited by JonathanRL; 07-11-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #89
Yaga

MP works fine for me most of the time. But that's because I only play on a couple servers using missions that have been meticulously groomed to avoid game breaking issues.

It would certainly be nice if we could do more in mission making without it causing warp, lag, etc.

It would also be nice to know ED is working on this, public outrage or not.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #90
flyingFrisbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
And that said, drex is literally just scratching the surface of what can be possible. Really all we are longing for is some commitment by ED

I agree completely. MP could be so much better than it already is, and if people like him were put in a position by ED to actually use their time, skill, and passion to create rather than work around dozens of bugs it'd be a sight to behold.
Closed Thread