Improved stability and dedicated server - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #71
112th_Rossi

Send a message via MSN to 112th_Rossi

I've been reading this thread and there is a bit of hyperbole around DCS Multiplayer and its current state. It's definitely not perfect but it does work. However, it is NOT very accessible from a administrative and a client stand point. What I mean by accessible is, multiplayer is a much worse experience than single player in terms of stability and from a general 'wtf is going on' point of view.

Multiplayer lobbies take a long time to load with no indication to the user of what actually is happening.

There is constant jitters and pauses in multiplayer as well as rubber banding/trampolining clients.

The more complex the mission the problems seem to get exponentially worse but there is no feedback from the server to the administrator as to what might be the problem (bandwidth/cpu issues).

Yes, the 'numbers' may indicate that single player is more popular but I would wager that the multiplayer element is more vocal at this time. If single player is such a focus and multiplayer is being left to rot, then you may as well just remove multiplayer all together.

Everyone I speak to about DCS talks about multiplayer. Hoggit, one of the biggest communities exists almost solely because of multiplayer and it's community.

We've raised these issues with ED via this forum for a long time now and nothing appears to be done. We are told that it is being worked on, yet, despite all the mini-updates and better community focused communication we have heard nothing regarding the multiplayer experience. This is bordering on disrespect to the multiplayer community.

I ask you ED, tell us what you are working on. Tell us what improvements you are going to make and put our minds at ease. You have been great with communication lately but we need to know what we can expect from multiplayer, so we can continue to invest our time and our money into this hobby.

I say this with respect, but also through fatigue of wondering and hoping.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #72
ElementLT

I really can't remember where I may have read this but isn't DCS working on a completely separate function or app just for hosting a multiplayer server? if not then this would be a great idea.

The Fraternity - Georgia Reign - PvE MP
24/7 Server: gr.thefraternitysim.com:10308
Live Map& Stats: Georgia Reign
Join Our Discord
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #73
112th_Rossi

Send a message via MSN to 112th_Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementLT View Post
I really can't remember where I may have read this but isn't DCS working on a completely separate function or app just for hosting a multiplayer server? if not then this would be a great idea.
Supposedly.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #74
Elysian Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico View Post
does sling loading work for you on your server?
Lately we've only been flying the Hornet, and it's been a while in general since we flew helicopters.
We have done sling loading in the past without major issues - but that was back in 2017, before DCS 2.5 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112th_Rossi View Post
Multiplayer lobbies take a long time to load with no indication to the user of what actually is happening.
On this particular issue: for me, reducing Preload Radius to minimum (100 I think?) helped immensely, along with disabling the page file in Windows. But my PC does sport an M.2 drive.

System specs:
Spoiler:

i7 6700k @4.5Ghz
32 GB Corsair DDR4 2400MHz
ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced
ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
1TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD

Pro Flight Trainer Puma
TM Warthog HOTAS w/ 10cm extension by Sahaj (mounted on Wheelstand Pro for Warthog)
Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals
Oculus Rift CV1

Last edited by Elysian Angel; 07-11-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #75
McMicha

I also want a stable dedicated (Linux) server for DCS.
The current solution is not really practical and unfortunately has the problems already mentioned.
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software
Deutscher Forums Thread
English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM
Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #76
Acidictadpole
Closed Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian Angel View Post
On this particular issue: for me, reducing Preload Radius to minimum (100 I think?) helped immensely, along with disabling the page file in Windows. But my PC does sport an M.2 drive.
It's great that you found a workaround, but I don't think I'd consider a game which requires altering OS-level features such as a page-file to get going stable. That's just me though. Pre-load radius alterations are a pretty common suggestion to get things going I think, which is good that people can point to it and say "tweak this" and have results, but the page file shouldn't need to be touched by a video gamer IMO.

I'm curious as to your server specs and the internet throughput you're using while running your server with 40 people. Additionally how long you ran the mission for, and how complicated the mission itself is. Our server that sparked this thread is not running the simplest mission, but I wouldn't consider it insanely complicated either, and it seems to get bogged down after around 2.5 hours.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #77
Manzanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
I only see 50 or so posts in this thread, some by the same people, I guess that is not a lot of people complaining about multiplayer either.
What a terrible observation. Did you purposely refuse to acknowledge the Hoggit thread with over 300 unique upvotes and almost 200 comments? You of all people should know 50+ posts and 5K views in a thread only just three days old is quite something in these forums and to shrug it off as "not a lot of people" is absurd. Perhaps if MP was much more stable the numbers would grow and reflect on that. Last year we lost an incredible server "Open Conflict" because of the stress involved with trying to get the server to run smoothly in this simulator and ultimately because of what seems like ED's refusal to acknowledge and address this issue. Let's not lose any more servers shall we? It's been 6? years since dedicated servers were first mentioned, why has absolutely nothing come out of it?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #78
ApoNOOB

+1 Server stabillity is an issue for me. Yes it has gotten better, but there is still a long way to go.

Not only that but the netcode has three big broken features: Multicrew, Gazelle dev said their issues have to do with latency. 2. Slingloading, it has been causing issues in MP for a long time. 3. Moving ground units, same.

I will not comment on the ME side, but afaik it is very taxing for mission creators of big servers, to make engaging and stable missions.

Add on top of that client instabillity/bugs etc., and server admins&players cook their own meal of grief.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #79
OperatorJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
I only see 50 or so posts in this thread, some by the same people, I guess that is not a lot of people complaining about multiplayer either.

Most people probably gave up trying to convince you to sort this out long ago
Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #80
Threeps

Throw my name on the list of names of DCS players who want to see some improvement in the multiplayer server experience.

We know that this is a study sim and many players can't see past that in terms of a what the DCS experience could be. If you've played on some of the better MP servers like Dynamic DCS and 10rth, it quickly becomes apparent that DCS really shines in the Multiplayer world despite it not being optimized for that.

I think what the majority of players on multiplayer want , is simply some upgraded net code and performance tweaks. Also, let some of the server host have some access to an API so they can create better MP experiences, a la Drex's Dynamic DCS server.

If you only play single missions, you don't know what you are missing. If you only do "mission files" with a few friends, you still do not know what is really possible on a dynamically hosted server with access for all DCS players (with a decent ping).

If you really want to see this simulation pushed into a space where it really becomes a ground-breaking new experience with a chance to GROW its user base beyond the "Make-A-Module-Buy-A-Module" economy, you should all support these requests for better multiplayer support. I should add that all modules that I purchased have been with multiplayer experiences in mind.

Flight sims have been a solo experience for 30+ years and that's fine but online multi-player creates such a better, randomized, challenging environment when done well. This now exists.
And what's holding further development of this back, unfortunately , is the deafening silence from ED.

Last edited by Threeps; 07-11-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Closed Thread