Can't Save Custom Default Snap Views AGAIN

PLEASE FIX the freaking SnapView Saves.

I am so sick and tired of modifying/customizing my Default View/Head Position/Seat Position (whatever you want to call it) every single time I jump into a cockpit. It is super frustrating and a giant waste of time. Especially, in a time-sensitive mission.

This issue has come up many times. It has rarely worked for any length of time.

Furthermore, we should be able to SAVE head position/default view SnapViews for Each Pilot/Gunner Position for EACH AIRCRAFT Mod.

This should also be the view we see when we jump into ANY online mission.

There is no need for Missions to save the Mission Designer's Default Views (which have to be changed every single time you jump into a cockpit) in Multiplayer. There is no need for this ability.

And even IF the Mission Designers default snap view information is uploaded to a server with a mission, the PLAYER's Default Views should take Precedence over all others.

Please, surely this cannot be that difficult to do ?

SnowTiger:joystick:

There is an option (in the option screen) that you must set to allow edition of SNAP views (iirc it's called "Use default snap views")

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Thanks David but I'm well aware of that.

This is an issue that has existed on and off for a long time.

Currently (in OB) Snap Views can be saved during a flight. As soon as I jump into a new cockpit or start a mission over, the previously saved Snap Views are history and I'm back to being smashed up against the dash (or might as well be anyway).

Previously we have also been able to save a default view (which should work in ANY Mission, single or multiplayer) for each seat position. This too no longer works.

I use snap views a lot, and as the F18 is quite new I'm still experimenting with the default view - and thus saving it often.

It definitively works on my PC, and gets saved to my snapviews.lua files (.../User Settings/.../.../Config).

Are you sure that this file and its parent folder are writable by DCS ?

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I'm sure. I've only been doing it for 9 years.

It's an on/off issue depending on the update and aircraft and which seat in said aircraft.

It'll work great and then some update ruins it. I'll wait a couple months or weeks and another update will correct it, at least for a couple aircraft.

It's getting really old.

There is no need for Missions to save the Mission Designer's Default Views

+1

the whole existence of the setting "use these settings for all missions" is questionable the least ( if in the first place i'm right about THAT setting causing this?).

If you dont change the settings between making missions, it stays the same anyways.

And if you DO change the settings for another mission, why on earth would you want to have a setting that you have to disable first to do so?

ESPECIALLY when having that setting ON you F up everybody's custom made views????

Anyway, whatever the cause forcing the mission makers view settings to a mission is, it has zero practical value imo.

Edited by voodooman

I'm sure. I've only been doing it for 9 years.

It's an on/off issue depending on the update and aircraft and which seat in said aircraft.

It'll work great and then some update ruins it. I'll wait a couple months or weeks and another update will correct it, at least for a couple aircraft.

It's getting really old.

But I have just reverted back to OB version and haven't really had opportunity (or the willpower) to check this issue in all mods. Certainly it appears to be an issue in the Gazelle again but I'll have to get back to you on that.

The mission can also keep you from using your custom view settings. If you are playing online an a server, would have to talk with the mission creator/server host if the would be willing to remove the restriction ( IMHO, no good reason to be there anyways).

If Offline, need to open up the .miz file with your zip utility and see if there is a CONFIG folder. If so there will be several files relating to the View. Can remove this whole folder and it will revert to YOUR settings instead of the mission's.

If Offline, need to open up the .miz file with your zip utility and see if there is a CONFIG folder. If so there will be several files relating to the View. Can remove this whole folder and it will revert to YOUR settings instead of the mission's.

That is good know.

I'm definitely going to look into that.

Thanks Shahdoh.

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similar problem too. I have the user snap view checked and have custom settings set for the A-10C only in the user folder SnapViews.lua. I have not altered any snap views for any other aircraft. I also did the modification as a .diff.lua to the axis so that my TrackIR uses the "absolute" movement for all the TrackIR axis for all the modules.

Both the A-10C and the F/A-18C respond correctly to my TrackIR but all other aircraft do not. They all still move slowly like they are reading the original SnapViewsDefault.lua. It does not matter if I change the axis back to the Head Tracker in the controls. And it does not matter whether I'm doing instant action of if I'm in a public server.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I'm also experiencing this in 2.5.4.25729 (OpenBeta).

DCS is occasionally (randomly?) saving View.lua settings inside mission files so when you use that mission your custom views will not carry over beyond that mission.

Try this - find the mission in which you were trying to save snap views and take a note of its size (in relation to other .miz files). If it's noticeably bigger then the mission is storing unwanted files and folders....including view settings.

You can open the .miz with WinRar or whatever, delete the un-needed stuff, and then run it again.

DCS is occasionally (randomly?) saving View.lua settings inside mission files so when you use that mission your custom views will not carry over beyond that mission.

Try this - find the mission in which you were trying to save snap views and take a note of its size (in relation to other .miz files). If it's noticeably bigger then the mission is storing unwanted files and folders....including view settings.

You can open the .miz with WinRar or whatever, delete the un-needed stuff, and then run it again.

Thanks for the tip. Does this happen when you run DCS from the mission editor (same way you can make ABRIS edits), or is it prone to do this when launching missions directly from the default menu?

Home Fries,

I usually see this when people take a track file and convert it into a mission. The track stores the view settings in a config folder which can/should be deleted when converting it into a mission. Otherwise those view settings are forced upon everyone if used as a multiplayer mission.

Thanks, fellas.

Lixma, there was the Config/Views folder in the mission; removing that restored my snapviews. I was doing my snapviews after running the mission directly from the ME, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Shahdow, thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Best,

HF

HF, I only run missions from the ME (except ED official ones from their own menu) and those missions are really basic stuff - dogfight practice, weapons training, free flights....that I've created myself.

99% of the time there's no issue but for whatever reason DCS sometimes elects to include all the other stuff.

One poster suggested that this happens when you use the 'Prepare Mission' function, which might be true, but I never use 'prepare mission' so it's still a mystery.

• 1 year later...

Interesting info, I set up new snap views + default front facing with tweaked FOV yesterday for 10 aircraft, using the quickstart instant action missions to get quick access to the planes, then was totally confused as to why when i flew other missions, the settings were lost. Ive also reset views in my own missions but they dont stay saved next time I jump in. Frustrating.

Hello Sprool

While I haven't flown in DCS in almost a full year now (and now have problems with my PC making it impossible to do so) I was informed that sometimes when Mission Authors save their missions (for multiplayer) that they are inadvertently also saving THEIR Snap Views or Default Views which take precedence over your settings when in those missions.

Every time you start in a new cockpit in those missions, you have to reset or resave your own settings ... only to lose them again the next time you spawn.

It is truly annoying and frustrating. It is just one of the many things that ultimately made me leave DCS when I did.

Of course I have no idea if this is the case for you but you may wish to try creating your own simple mission and see if the problem remains.

I'm not sure that will help any but it might help identify the source of the problem.

On the other hand, this also happened following MANY updates and had nothing to do with missions, as I discovered while flying in my own missions.

Yes, I reported this but it was probably lost in the wind.

What we do in my squadron is to replace the options.lua file in the mission archive with a default one (it's attached in the linked thread)

• 3 months later...

Here we go again.

Custom Snap Views are not being saved again.

Yes, they are saved in the session you are playing, but once you Quit, and reenter the mission, the Custom views are not saved. tested it on the F/A-18, A-10C and A-10C II.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

• 1 month later...

Yes RodBorza, I agree! The same experiences I made with the snap yiew of my F 18. 

BUT.: With the A 10, everything is okay with the snap view. Even if you quite the mission and start another one, no problem. The custom snap views are there.

For that reason it seems to me as if the problem is caused by the F 18 module.