I Need Advice re: Installing DCS to SSD - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
SnowTiger

Default I Need Advice re: Installing DCS to SSD

I currently have DCS installed on my C:\ Drive (typical legacy HD).

I understand that if DCS is running from an SSD it will reduce my Load Times and probably operate better overall.

I just did the Upgrade to 2.5 on my C Drive (after many hours of downloading).
During that upgrade, the installed did NOT import all my files (i.e. missions etc) from DCS 2 OpenAlpha but it did uninstall the Desktop Icon for it.
I manually moved files from OpenAlpha to 2.5.
Furthermore, it didn't even rename my desktop icon. However, it did change the look of it. I renamed it myself.

Anyway, I'd like to get my DCS installation onto a new SSD but I need to know the correct procedure.

The SSD will be a Slave Drive i.e. I am NOT reinstalling Windows.

Do I need to re-run the DCS Installer to get DCS onto that new SSD ?
Someone suggested copying files over but then the program is still installed in C:/Program Files and C:/Saved Games.

But if doing a clean install, won't I have to first create a new/separate Program Files and Saved Games folder on that SSD and then somehow point the clean install to the SSD and those folders ?

PS> While it may sound like I'm completely daft, I have been working on and building PC's since 1990. But I am not familiar with SSD's nor getting DCS onto it so that my Performance is actually Improved.

Please - Any Advice will be helpful.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
flippit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTiger View Post
I currently have DCS installed on my C:\ Drive (typical legacy HD).

I understand that if DCS is running from an SSD it will reduce my Load Times and probably operate better overall.

I just did the Upgrade to 2.5 on my C Drive (after many hours of downloading).
During that upgrade, the installed did NOT import all my files (i.e. missions etc) from DCS 2 OpenAlpha but it did uninstall the Desktop Icon for it.
I manually moved files from OpenAlpha to 2.5.
Furthermore, it didn't even rename my desktop icon. However, it did change the look of it. I renamed it myself.

Anyway, I'd like to get my DCS installation onto a new SSD but I need to know the correct procedure.

The SSD will be a Slave Drive i.e. I am NOT reinstalling Windows.

Do I need to re-run the DCS Installer to get DCS onto that new SSD ?
Someone suggested copying files over but then the program is still installed in C:/Program Files and C:/Saved Games.

But if doing a clean install, won't I have to first create a new/separate Program Files and Saved Games folder on that SSD and then somehow point the clean install to the SSD and those folders ?

PS> While it may sound like I'm completely daft, I have been working on and building PC's since 1990. But I am not familiar with SSD's nor getting DCS onto it so that my Performance is actually Improved.

Please - Any Advice will be helpful.
Thanks in Advance.
I simply cut and paste the dcs folder from the drive it was on and moved it onto ssd drive. Worked absolutely fine.

I had the multiple versions spread across multiple drives but there is at long last one install only and I have it on my ssd.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
flippit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
SnowTiger

I would love to successfully utilize the copy/paste method but I'm a bit confused as to whether or not this will increase my performance.
I'm confused because DCS is currently installed on my old C Drive which means it is in the Windows Registry on the C Drive as well as Program Files folder and Saved Games folder.

Are you suggesting that I Copy/Paste JUST the DCS folders from Both Program Files AND Saved Games folder and paste BOTH into the SSD ?

If so, do they each need to be in a New Program Files folder (or sub-folder) and New Saved Games folder ?
OR
Do I just copy Both DCS/Eagle Dynamics Folders directly to the SSD and make a new Desktop Icon (or redirect the current one) and that's it ?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
flippit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTiger View Post
I would love to successfully utilize the copy/paste method but I'm a bit confused as to whether or not this will increase my performance.
I'm confused because DCS is currently installed on my old C Drive which means it is in the Windows Registry on the C Drive as well as Program Files folder and Saved Games folder.

Are you suggesting that I Copy/Paste JUST the DCS folders from Both Program Files AND Saved Games folder and paste BOTH into the SSD ?

If so, do they each need to be in a New Program Files folder (or sub-folder) and New Saved Games folder ?
OR
Do I just copy Both DCS/Eagle Dynamics Folders directly to the SSD and make a new Desktop Icon (or redirect the current one) and that's it ?
I didn't move the saved games folder. Couldn't tell you how much I have in there but there is nothing stopping me from moving it if I wanted to. It's just the dcs folder from programme files. It's on their to get the increased performance on the ssd drive.

My ssd is my f drive. So my folder structure is f:/games/dcs world.

Dcs is the only thing on that drive so I don't need to index it into program files that you would typically see on the c drive.

I don't now much about checking the registry but when I did check the registry, it could see it in the f drive.

I'm no computer expert but I seemed to muddle through it and it all works fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
flippit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Art-J
Veteran

Was in the same situation when I bought my SSD for DCS, but couldn't be bothered to reinstall the game, let alone the system.

Just move the game folder manually to SSD drive, to whatever-the-name folder, edit your shortcuts and edit directory path in the Win registry, location mentioned here:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...3&postcount=63

Done, works 100%.

I still keep SavedGames/DCS on my old platter drive, as I don't install customs mods there. If you do, however, you can also move it as well, but you'll have to tinker with mklink command, so that Windows thinks the folder is still in the old location.

Don't quite understand what you mean by "whether or not this will increase my performance". Of course it will, you bought a a friggin' SSD Loading performance goes through the roof and disk-read-related stutters are gone for good. Nothing else, really, but these two factors alone justify any money you paid for this brilliant device. Second best investment I ever made for this game, after hefty gfx card.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
SnowTiger

Okay thanks you guys.

I will leave the Saved Games folders/files where they are and will only move (i.e. Cut and Paste) the Eagle Dynamics folder from Program Files to my new SSD.

DCS will be the ONLY thing on my SSD.
So "Eagle Dynamics" will be the Only Folder there.

With regards to the Saved Games folder, I thought maybe it too had to be moved in order to increase performance but it sounds like that is not the case. And I'm glad. This simplifies the process allot.

This is definitely going to happen before this day is done.
Thanks again for the assistance folks. I can't wait to try this out and see it in action.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:30 AM   #7
hansangb
Veteran

You can always try moving it. The trick would be to move the SAVED GAMES to your SSD but leave a symbolic link on the C:\users\user_name\ directory.

See this: https://youtu.be/bONzpe9hH_M

It's a quick video I made that made DCS 1.5 think that the config folders were still there. What I really did was to create a symbolic link to 2.2's config folder. Pretty easy to do and easy to back out.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
gordon200

I've moved DCS to game file on my SSD no problem. Regedit is set to route DCS to my SSD and I changed the address in the desktop icon properties.

DCS 2.5OB launched successfully and I now have DCS files on both discs. How do I free up the space on the HHD?
I appreciate your patience and assistance.
i7-8086K @ 5.1 on 360mm Rad, EVGA Z390 Dark mobo, 32Gb G Skill 3200 C14 RAM, EVGA 2080ti Kingpin on 240mm rad, HP Reverb, VKB Gunfighter Pro WWII grip, Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, MFB Crosswind pedals, EVGA 850W psu, Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Last edited by gordon200; 02-10-2018 at 11:28 AM.
gordon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #9
BitMaster
Veteran

you may set symbolic links, but to keep it simple... throw that DCS folder anywhere you want and start it from there. If you feel you need a better GUI, SkateZilla's Updater Tool has all that you could ask for: update repair launch VR-ON/Off etc etc... and you can control many different branches.

My only mod atm.

Big Thank You to Skate for doing this, we should use it as it is so great and easy
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon retrofitted EK-waterblock - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1x 860Pro 256GB - 32GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
SnowTiger

I also moved DCS to my SSD and edited the Registry etc etc.
I also made sure ALL links and Icons directed to the appropriate locations.

It all worked great until the latest update which screwed the whole setup.

I have since UNINSTALLED DCS for Good.