Engine Sound And Feedback - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
AliPG
Junior Member
 
AliPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 34
Exclamation Engine Sound And Feedback

Hi everyone greetings
Recently i was flying bf109 i noticed some serious issue with it after update, The Engine feedback is gone, There is no vibration at all. I guess this is bug or something related to it. When there is no feedback there is no immersion left...
Second, There is engine sound problem after update and everyone is reporting about that. There is unusual noise going on in cockpit which i noticed in every warbird in dcs. It sound unrealistic and extra, I guess it is okay with allied plane because they have small engines. I don't think so it should be in german engines too. They are big and should sound big. This is exactly a serious problem and destroying immersion to the game. No feedback no viberation of engine, There is unsual artificial sound coming from engine which is super unrealistic. I also make video for better analysis.

Following things i noticed wrong in bf109 module.
1: There is no front aspect propeller sound of bf109 in dcs.
2: There is no engine feedback (engine vibration on high rpm or low rpm)
3: Engine sound is only dependent on RPM of engine (It doesn't change with Propeller pitch)
4: Sound of Propeller is inaccurate.
5: Artificial sound coming out of compressor or turbo something at M50 boost which is so stupid and same goes to all warbirds in dcs (except p47 which is new)
6: DCS is going to implement new sound engine for DCS which may improve sound. But this time every bird is affected by this problem especially bf109 which is completely different engine and big one.
BTW i want to thank ED for WW2 experience.

Youtube Video: https://youtu.be/aB79Wm62cw8

Last edited by AliPG; 06-06-2020 at 04:39 PM.
AliPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 2,654
Default

My biggest issue to bf109 sound is that loudness depends on rpm and not on combine rpm and ATA.
So it ends that at cruise settings like 1.1 ata or 1.0 engine sound is almost gone, only supercharger wine stays very high.
And on every YouTube vid about Bf109, sounds very loud even at low cruise settings which those birds flying right now.
I think that 1.0 ATA and 2000 rpm should produce quite nice sound, but in DCS there is almost no sound at this settings external sounds. No matter how you crank up volume.
__________________
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
AliPG
Junior Member
 
AliPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
My biggest issue to bf109 sound is that loudness depends on rpm and not on combine rpm and ATA.
So it ends that at cruise settings like 1.1 ata or 1.0 engine sound is almost gone, only supercharger wine stays very high.
And on every YouTube vid about Bf109, sounds very loud even at low cruise settings which those birds flying right now.
I think that 1.0 ATA and 2000 rpm should produce quite nice sound, but in DCS there is almost no sound at this settings external sounds. No matter how you crank up volume.

Exactly its true, There is no in cockpit propeller sound too which is sad. It is absolutely unrealistic and sound is broken in dcs. I have video of in-cockpit sound of BF-109, It has incredible big engine and bassy sound. Propeller sound is brutal in real life.

Bf109 in cockpit sound:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhMGQst4lo&t=20s

AliPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
btd
Staff
 
btd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Moscow
Posts: 259
Default

Please don't duplicate messages in different topic.
For Messerschmidt there have been no updates on sound for the last 2 months.

About the volume at low rpms (ATA) - it has already been written 100 times. It is very difficult to explain in detail each time
In short, the video volume is overestimated by the compressor at low RPMs (ATA) and greatly lowered by the limiter at high. We are trying to show a huge difference in changing the sound volume from idle to maximum, that you cant hear from gopro cameras. But you can in real life.
__________________
Best regards,
Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)
https://soundcloud.com/btd

Last edited by btd; 06-03-2020 at 08:44 AM.
btd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 2,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btd View Post
Please don't duplicate messages in different topic.
For Messerschmidt there have been no updates on sound for the last 2 months.

About the volume at low rpms (ATA) - it has already been written 100 times. It is very difficult to explain in detail each time
In short, the video volume is overestimated by the compressor at low RPMs (ATA) and greatly lowered by the limiter at high. We are trying to show a huge difference in changing the sound volume from idle to maximum, that you cant hear from gopro cameras. But you can in real life.
I know what are you trying to do, but it is too much, at low ATA/RPM bf109 makes no sound at all in DCS. On another hand when you increase RPM manually, sounds is back as full power loudness but even with throttle closed.
__________________
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
btd
Staff
 
btd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Moscow
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
I know what are you trying to do, but it is too much, at low ATA/RPM bf109 makes no sound at all in DCS. On another hand when you increase RPM manually, sounds is back as full power loudness but even with throttle closed.
You are trying to set a comfortable volume level for flight or maximum RPM mode, and at the same time (with the same volume level) you want to hear Idle well. This is correct and should be for the game, but not for our simulator.

Please check the video, I just want to make sure that now in your version of the DCS the same sound?
https://youtu.be/7Ur_r8J-WKk

I think now there is a proper level difference between idle and flight modes. but if you have a recording of more or less professional audio equipment - please share it. If there is a discrepancy, I will correct it immediatly.
__________________
Best regards,
Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)
https://soundcloud.com/btd

Last edited by btd; 06-03-2020 at 02:28 PM.
btd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
AliPG
Junior Member
 
AliPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btd View Post
You are trying to set a comfortable volume level for flight or maximum RPM mode, and at the same time (with the same volume level) you want to hear Idle well. This is correct and should be for the game, but not for our simulator.

Please check the video, I just want to make sure that now in your version of the DCS the same sound?
https://youtu.be/7Ur_r8J-WKk

I think now there is a proper level difference between idle and flight modes. but if you have a recording of more or less professional audio equipment - please share it. If there is a discrepancy, I will correct it immediatly.
There is no accurate engine vibration simulated here in cockpit in every bird, For 109 there is no in cockpit propeller sound at Front Aspect, More ATA with LOW RPM, The propeller should sound more low pitch but loud. This is not implemented here in DCS unfortunately. I tried every bird here on dcs the sound of compressor or something is so loud on high ATA or boost even overwhelm the sound of engine itself which should not be there but it is there may be because of bad mixing or something. Everyone complaining i know but you guys should focus on public opinions??? The old sound of BF109 was good but no prominent... I am not saying everything should be perfect but its been long time didn't it?

Last edited by AliPG; 06-04-2020 at 12:00 PM.
AliPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
Ala13_ManOWar
Senior Member
 
Ala13_ManOWar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Spain
Posts: 2,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
My biggest issue to bf109 sound is that loudness depends on rpm and not on combine rpm and ATA.
Have you by any chance ever flown yourself a constant speed propeller aircraft? It's weird indeed how, as governor keeps the rpm constant, you at first and until get used to it can't hear really very well how engine changes happens because only MP changing doesn't really change the sound "pitch", it's a constant pitch or "note" (I'm musician either, BTW) and MP changes only do change "intensity" of the rumble to some extent but not the sound itself. Really tough to put in words, but that's it and I know that's hardly audible in a recording no matter how good quality the recording equipment is.

I remember P-51 was like that when it first came out and I can tell that sounded really spot on in that regard since I was still flying myself back then (not a P-51 of course, but still an advanced aeroplane). Changes happened not because quality was "bad" but because people without that kind of experience and/or knowledge do complain all of the time.


S!
__________________
"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war." -- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 2,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Have you by any chance ever flown yourself a constant speed propeller aircraft? It's weird indeed how, as governor keeps the rpm constant, you at first and until get used to it can't hear really very well how engine changes happens because only MP changing doesn't really change the sound "pitch", it's a constant pitch or "note" (I'm musician either, BTW) and MP changes only do change "intensity" of the rumble to some extent but not the sound itself. Really tough to put in words, but that's it and I know that's hardly audible in a recording no matter how good quality the recording equipment is.

I remember P-51 was like that when it first came out and I can tell that sounded really spot on in that regard since I was still flying myself back then (not a P-51 of course, but still an advanced aeroplane). Changes happened not because quality was "bad" but because people without that kind of experience and/or knowledge do complain all of the time.


S!
Do you have any idea that in bf 109 it is not a case. Because every change in MP will change RPM as well. You cant experience difrent MP for constant RPM in Bf-109 un less you hit crit alt.
__________________
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
Ala13_ManOWar
Senior Member
 
Ala13_ManOWar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Spain
Posts: 2,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Do you have any idea that in bf 109 it is not a case. Because every change in MP will change RPM as well. You cant experience difrent MP for constant RPM in Bf-109 un less you hit crit alt.
My story was just an example on how you think you know something until you experience yourself, but still not the sound change you seem to crave for. That's only your liking, not the real sound of an aeroplane and it's a nonsense to publish that as a "bug". If everything I don't like in the World were a bug then the whole World is a bug mate…


S!
__________________
"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war." -- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.