The overview I’ve been waiting for!!! Phil Style! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #21
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro14 View Post
The D model could run 70 inches at 23,000 feet at the turbo's max speed of 18,250rpm At least that is what I got from Greg’s videos
our version has speed limit at 20k spped limit
Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM   #22
Enduro14

18250 is the never exceed limit, dcs will have modeled the severe penalties to over rev and boosting the system. At least when it is incorporated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7976DF20-AB32-40D5-975D-6A644B582BD4.png
Views:	21
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	238113  

Last edited by Enduro14; 06-02-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Enduro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #23
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Hi guys,

I started recording the dogfight video last night... very interesting stuff.

I have found the Water injection button now, thanks for the help. The button does depress (it is spring loaded, so has to be held in the "on" position, it can then be "locked" into the on position if needed with another binding).

However, I see NO change in MP or in RPM when the button is on. I've tried to use it under normal cruise settings AND with the aircraft at 62" and 2500rpm. Under neither conditions does the W.I appear to do anything.
The "Water Pressure" (assuming this is related to W.I.) indicator does not move, see image at the base of this post.

The manual states this:
"Water injection is controlled by a switch, which is located on the throttle. The switch opens a solenoid valve that transmits a mixture of water and methanol to the regulator. At the same time, the automatic boost mechanism is triggered under water pressure in the supply line and the mixture is impoverished to reduce fuel consumption. The water injection system is heated in flight by the engine heat, which prevents the system from freezing in flight.
Water injection occurs when the engine is running in War Emergency Power (WEP) mode. The pressure in the collector reaches then up to 64 inches of Hg, increasing power by 30%
"

Anybody got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?
If there a separate switch somewhere perhaps that acts as a master for this function?
Alternatively, it's possible that the W.I. just isn't modelled yet.

Must not be modeled yet, once you hit the switch you should see water pressure increase and notice an increase in boost up to 64" Also max rpm should be 2700 rpm even without water injection. On the P-47N they had a switch behind/near the throttle on the left that could be used to switch the WI to manual or Auto, you could check and see if it's modeled in the D-30 for some reason (it shouldnt be as far as I know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
our version has speed limit at 20k spped limit
22,000 rpm is the maximum turbo rpm allowed but only for 15 min iirc.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #24
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Must not be modeled yet, once you hit the switch you should see water pressure increase and notice an increase in boost up to 64" Also max rpm should be 2700 rpm even without water injection. On the P-47N they had a switch behind/near the throttle on the left that could be used to switch the WI to manual or Auto, you could check and see if it's modeled in the D-30 for some reason (it shouldnt be as far as I know)

Thanks legion, very much appreciated

Current: AMD 3700x, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB 3200 RAM, Auros Pro X570, 2TB M.2 drive
Previous build: i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:43 AM   #25
dali

the prop animation....for the first time in the history of the simulation games it has been done properly! Thanks phil for pointing that out. Any word on exhaust fumes?
dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #26
Eldur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
About weapons, ED has show some bombs and rockets:
-AN-M64 500 lb bomb, Show on P-47 youtubers videos and P-51D.

On EDM directory
-M-8 rockets with triple Rocket Launcher 4.5 inch.
-AN-M30A1 100lb bomb.
-AN-M57 250lb bomb
-AN-M55 1000lb bomb
-Drop tank 250 Gal
-Drop tank 108 Gal
-Drop tank 105 Gal

Other bombs (surelly to B-17 and other bombers)
-AN-M69 WP incendiary bomb
-Cluster Adapter, E6R2
I tried to show the pics you post in that roadmap thread in another thread and as a comment on one of the Tube videos, but sadly they aren't there anymore... you should try to get a place where you can have them up for a longer period of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Anybody got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?
If there a separate switch somewhere perhaps that acts as a master for this function?
Take a look ath the throttle lever's position - it shouldn't go fully forward without WEP. If you try to engage it, do so by keeping that button pressed while you advance the throttle. The button alone won't do it if modelled correctly. In the video I posted above you can also see the guy pushing some kind of stopper out of the way to get the throttle lever past the threshold. Might be the case ED has modelled that as well, similar to the fingerlifts in the Hornet. And if not, they definately should (as an option as well, of course for those who don't want to hold down two buttons to get there).

Last edited by Eldur; 06-02-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Eldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #27
Eldur
Veteran

Edit: Double posts merged, please remove this one, thx
Old 06-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #28
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldur View Post
Take a look ath the throttle lever's position - it shouldn't go fully forward without WEP. If you try to engage it, do so by keeping that button pressed while you advance the throttle. The button alone won't do it if modelled correctly. In the video I posted above you can also see the guy pushing some kind of stopper out of the way to get the throttle lever past the threshold. Might be the case ED has modelled that as well, similar to the fingerlifts in the Hornet. And if not, they definately should (as an option as well, of course for those who don't want to hold down two buttons to get there).

Thank You!
This sounds very similar to the "gate" type system that the early spitfires had to enable overboost when the 100 Octane fuel was introduced.
Now I understand

Current: AMD 3700x, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB 3200 RAM, Auros Pro X570, 2TB M.2 drive
Previous build: i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #29
Art-J
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dali View Post
the prop animation....for the first time in the history of the simulation games it has been done properly! Thanks phil for pointing that out.
That's somewhat debatable. It's still more of a presentation of how camera sees the prop vs how naked eye sees the prop in reality, so the "animated properly" part depends on the question of subjective "cinematic" preference vs "realistic" preference.

The effect is subtle enough for me though, so I'm not bothered, but I understand those, who would rather see all DCS warbirds get rid of it (109 already did it seems).
Old 06-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #30
Catseye

Default Phil's Comment on Propeller visuals

Phil,
Great presentation.

One area I would like to bring forward is your particular comments about the appearance of the propeller appearing to slow down and speed up going forward in image and retrogressing in image.

The human eye does not see this.

This is an affect of a difference in frames per second between digital recording and prop speed - or in the "old" days, a property of the difference between film frames per second going through the shutter and the speed of rotation of an object. For example, the appearance of wagon wheels going backwards then going forward normally when the wagon slows down.

Personally, I do not want to see this effect and think it is artificially done by the graphics guys just as they do the flare issue which is a camera effect and not a human eye one.

ps. please lock the tail wheel on take off and landing and only release it for turns.

Thanks again for your great presentation.

Cats . . .

Last edited by Catseye; 06-02-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote