Trim no longer working for me. - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #21
mark35444

Hey guys,

Im also having some trim issues with the Gazelle,
My FFB is disabled and the magnetic switch is on, im using the trim button to hold the desired attitude and using the coolie hat for minor adjustments, however my problem is once i hit the trim button and let go of the stick, there is always a tendency to roll to the right in cruise flight above 120kph. I need to maintain constant left pressure on the stick to keep the attitude and heading. Trimming only seems to affect pitch not roll. Any advice?

161 SQN AEF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7 7700X
Corsair H70 Cooler
Corsair DDR4 RAM 32 GB 2400mhz
2x Corsair Hydro GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TB
1200 watt Corsair PSU
ASUS 299 TUF MK II Mainboard
Corsair 800D Obsidian case
mark35444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:57 PM   #22
Sprool

Im also new to the Gazelle and finding the info very confusing about trimming.
Whats the difference between Trim on/off, trimmer, trimmer reset, magnetic brake, autopilot alt and speed modes, and do they conflict?
Ive tried every combination but trimmer on the hat switch does nothing. The only thing that works intuitively, like in the huey, is the trim switch for rudder (when activated in the special menu). Id expect you to be able to freeze the control positions same in the gazelle with the trim button but it doesnt do anyting.
Sprool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #23
Alec Delorean

@Sprool

We are waiting since 2016 for realistic controls and FM. ATM Trim on/off, trimmer, trimmer reset, magnetic brake, autopilot alt and speed modes are just based on a fantasy of PC.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #24
Sprool

But didnt it work last year, or before the recent DCS update? I saw a couple of youtube videos with people demonstrating the hatstick for trimming in-flight.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:45 AM   #25
Alec Delorean

It never worked for FFB joysticks, the most realistic way to simulate trimming in a sim (especially in the other helicopter modules). And it's the only module in DCS with a desastrous FFB implementation that never got fixed. The other really bad thing is how stick deflection vs control input is implemented, PC intentionally set it up for extra long joystick extensions which gives you fine control around the center, but if you don't have an extension on a normal stick, movement of a couple of millimeters already results in very aggressive control input and aircraft reaction.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #26
SnowTiger

I dealt with the "stick movement" by adjusting the Saturation.

Everyone keeps comparing the Gazelles Cyclic with other helicopters and in my opinion that is mistake. Not all helicopters require 8" to 12" of stick deflection.

I recommend that people interested in the Gazelle should watch the series called "Flying Soldiers" about British Soldiers learning to fly the Gazelle (in the real world).
Episodes 2 and 3 especially show a lot of footage during which you can see the deflection of the stick rarely ever exceeds or even gets close to an Inch from Center Point. In fact, it's likely closer to half that for normal flight. It is a very fine-controlled Cyclic.
There is no need to throw the stick all over the place even during erratic flight.

The implementation of the Gazelle in DCS may well not be that realistic with regards to the flight model, but please take a look at episodes 2 and 3 of Flying Soldiers and you will see that the Cyclic barely moves during most flight. It's Not a Huey.
https://youtu.be/sWcCKx3VuOk
Old 05-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #27
Sprool

Grim Reapers did an interesting youtube vid about taming the joystick response to what he felt was more realistic, with a 25 curve and saturation down to 50%. Ive left mine at about 70% but Im still utterly confused about trim actuator, trimmer, magnetic brake, autopilot alt and speed hold as I dont know if these conflict with or augment eachother, and they never seem to work consistently, though trim reset before activiating autopilot seemed to help a little.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #28
Alec Delorean

In DCS the Gazelle is far far away from being equal to this stick deflections and control behaviour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWcC...ature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/TwuYXZ0foIs?t=120