how to get flight level trimmed... - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 03:09 AM   #1
fitness88
Veteran

Default how to get flight level trimmed...

Sometimes when formation flying I do more than normal trimming and then find the plane gets nose heavy and wants to dive. Trimming nose up for a while eventually levels me out. It's interesting that I'm balance trimming so I don't understand why the dramatic out of trim.
Is there an easier/quicker way to get flight level?

Thank you.
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
Bunny Clark

In flight configuration, the Hornet auto trims to 1G. You should only have to manually trim out role for any asymmetrical load.
Bunny Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:31 AM   #3
fitness88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Clark View Post
In flight configuration, the Hornet auto trims to 1G. You should only have to manually trim out role for any asymmetrical load.
Yes I realize that is normally how things go but when things don't go that way...is there an easier/quicker way to get flight level other than manually trimming?
Is there an FCS or other setting that will do this for you at the press of a button like I believe the F-15 or Mig?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:42 AM   #4
AegisFX

T/o trim? There's also an actual fcs reset switch near it but I don't know what it will do while airborne
Old 02-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
fitness88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisFX View Post
T/o trim? There's also an actual fcs reset switch near it but I don't know what it will do while airborne
These are WoW settings.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #6
Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
Sometimes when formation flying I do more than normal trimming and then find the plane gets nose heavy and wants to dive. Trimming nose up for a while eventually levels me out. It's interesting that I'm balance trimming so I don't understand why the dramatic out of trim.
Is there an easier/quicker way to get flight level?

Thank you.
You should not have to adjust the trim of the F/A-18C while formation flying. As another stated, the FCS auto trims to 1G. Only once you have an asymmetrical configuration, should adjusting the trim be something that you have to do.

If it is wake turbulence that you are experiencing, which is wildly over exaggerated in DCS(another Hornet should not "throw" you around like it currently does), it just requires you to be very active in managing the attitude of the aircraft.

Cheers,

Don

Airframes: A10C, F/A-18C, F-14B, FC3, Combined Arms. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR

Last edited by Ziptie; 02-25-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:43 AM   #7
Brun

Being trimmed to 1G does not equate to level flight, only that your vertical speed will be constant.

Edit: Missed the bit about the aircraft becoming increasingly 'nose heavy'. That does seem odd, I've never noticed attitude changing when everything else is constant.

Last edited by Brun; 02-25-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Brun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
kengou

I agree with others that you should not need to touch pitch trim in the Hornet at all other than landing. The Hornet does not change its pitch trim away from 1G no matter what changes about its speed or weight, so if you put the FPM on the horizon it should roughly stay there, barring turbulence. Formation flying should not require any pitch trim. Don't expect to fly hands-off when formation flying, you need to be actively flying based on cues and changes from your sight picture of your wingman.
Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | C-101 | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190A-8 | FW-190D-9 | JF-17 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | Spitfire | SU-27 | SU-33

Cockpit: Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
kengou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Razor18

I dunno about others, but since last update, I feel the Hornet trim is definitely sluggish and errate. Confirmed by other Hornet drivers in yesterday's formation training. And in formation flying (straighht and level) you need to be trimmed to be "almost" hands free (as you do it in solo straight and level fligth too). Just my 2 cent...
Razor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #10
fitness88
Veteran

Thanks all for your input. Maybe I'm not explaining it clearly. When doing air to air refueling I use trim to make the very subtle flight adjustments needed to keep formation as neither the tanker nor I are flying on rails.
When finished refueling and break away, I then experience this issue...as if I dramatically trimmed to an extreme which I don't.

I don't usually have this issue the rest of the time flying if not refueling.