The key to zhe Gazelle - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #41
countvonaltibar

A very interesting discussion and a fantastic video from CHPL that has inspired quite a lot of people to persist with and some (like me) to purchase the model. Many thanks for the video, I'm having fun experimenting with the different parameters. Hopefully the Polychop update will arrive soon we'll see what that brings.
countvonaltibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #42
Nooch

I put no curves and can fly it just fine, like all the other modules basically. It's just a matter of spending a few minutes getting used to it.
Nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #43
SnowTiger

Being able to fly with or without curves etc is a personal thing.
It may only rely on one's experience with flying any Sim.
On the other hand and vastly more importantly (IMO) is the Hotas you are using.
Each Hotas has it's strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other.

I have now flown the Gazelle (and all my other Modules) with 2 different Hotas setups. X-55 Rhino + CH Pro Pedals and later and currently with VKB Gunfighter MkII MCG Pro + Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle + CH Pro Pedals.

These are COMPLETELY different setups with equally different responses. The VKB is a very sensitive and smooth stick compared to X-55. But it also is completely customizable for different tensions and center/neutral detente or no detente.

Never mind what others are doing. You must use what you have and experience what you will to determine whether or not Curves etc are right for your setup and your experience. Maybe you need those settings only while learning and then dampen them down later. Or maybe they will always be needed.

Personally, I did some research, including watching a specific video (previously mentioned) to see how the REAL Gazelle works and how much stick deflection there is in the real aircraft under normal use. I "tuned" my stick to reflect that reality and then learned how to fly most effectively. That is what worked for me. It may not work for anyone else. And I'm fine with that.
Do whatever you feel is right for your enjoyment. Don't be afraid to experiment to get the most enjoyment. Your setup isn't just like everyone else's setup and so your experience will be different from most others too.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #44
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTiger View Post

I have now flown the Gazelle (and all my other Modules) with 2 different Hotas setups. X-55 Rhino + CH Pro Pedals and later and currently with VKB Gunfighter MkII MCG Pro + Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle + CH Pro Pedals.

These are COMPLETELY different setups with equally different responses. The VKB is a very sensitive and smooth stick compared to X-55. But it also is completely customizable for different tensions and center/neutral detente or no detente.

Never mind what others are doing. You must use what you have and experience what you will to determine whether or not Curves etc are right for your setup and your experience. Maybe you need those settings only while learning and then dampen them down later. Or maybe they will always be needed.

Personally, I did some research, including watching a specific video (previously mentioned) to see how the REAL Gazelle works and how much stick deflection there is in the real aircraft under normal use. I "tuned" my stick to reflect that reality and then learned how to fly most effectively. That is what worked for me. It may not work for anyone else. And I'm fine with that.
Do whatever you feel is right for your enjoyment. Don't be afraid to experiment to get the most enjoyment. Your setup isn't just like everyone else's setup and so your experience will be different from most others too.
That's a great post. And btw, tune your joystick is part of the joy, isn't it?
Old 08-25-2019, 06:28 AM   #45
River

Quote:

can you post your vkb gunfighter settings for the gazelle? and what cam and springs are you using? thanks
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #46
xvii-Dietrich

Excellent post from SnowTiger.

Quote:
Very true.

Even for an identical controller, things like the position of the chair, the frame rate of the simulator, the field of view of the monitor, and personal preference will result in differences to the needed curve settings.

On the other hand, knowing what settings others are using (especially if they are using something similar to you), will help give and idea of what to change and a starting point from whence to experiment. (For reference, my settings are here: link)
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:31 AM   #47
PatrickJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damcopter View Post
Hello, in fact the FM has a LOT of problems...
Polychop is supposed to work on that but they are now focused on their next helo and don't want to loose time with the Gazelle because they won't earn money anymore with it....
I have worked with Polychop trying to help them to fix the big FM issues. I performed a test flight with them and I exposed 4 big issues in the FM which are nonsense for a helo.

Just try something: you fly the Gazelle at 100km/h and apply a 2cm right input on your stick and maintain it. The Gazelle is never stopping rolling on the right!!!!!!! THIS IS THE FIRst BIG ISSUE. They have coded the FM without considering that it's a helicopter!!!!!
À steady x cm displacement of the cyclic is equal to a steady roll angle IRL for the Gazelle and the Fennec and the Puma etc.... (I only fly on French helo IRL)

I am fed up with working with them now. I flew the Gazelle 150hours IRL when starting to learn to fly 15 years ago. Now I have 3000h of fight and still continue to fly every day IRL.
I have asked some current Gazelle pilots to join me in order to help Polychop but Polychop seems to be deaf.

When I read that ALAT Pilots told the FM was good I really want to meet them because we are a lot of French helo pilots (French air force and Alat) to find the Polychop Gazelle sooooooo bad with the FM and sooooo unrealistic.

I you want to fly a helicopter which seems to be realistic, take a look at the MI8. We are having a lot of fun to fly it. Only the Vortex seems to be overrated. IRL With the MI8 in DCS, the Vortex is binary coded.... But apart from this weird behavior with Vortex, the MI8 is realistic enough.

I would love to fly the Gazelle in DCS but it's impossible today for real pilot to have fun with it in a simulation. Perhaps in arcade mode it would be fun, but we are playing DCS for simulation experience
Thanks for your experienced input. I have just bought the gazelle dcs in 2020. Has it improved. If not can you post your axis tweaks that you have found helps make it more realistic? Would be much appreciated!
PatrickJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:41 AM   #48
SnowTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
can you post your vkb gunfighter settings for the gazelle? and what cam and springs are you using? thanks
Hi River. I apologize for not getting back to you with my VKB settings.
The fact is that between DCS's constantly broken modules and updates that do more damage than good along with PolyChops apparent abandonment of the Gazelle (leaving it essentially busted), I just got tired of it.
I have flown DCS for 10 years and just got sick of the BS. I didn't spend a ton of money to be their tester. When I buy software, I want and expect it to work, not be a perpetual work-in-progress.

As such, I packed it in last June or July 2019. With the exception of 2 - 1hr flights (about 2 months apart) which only pissed me off more, I have not flown or even opened DCS.
More recently my PC puked and required a complete re-installation of Win10 (I would have NEVER upgraded to Win10 had it not been for DCS. I had a super stable system with Win7).
I have since installed DCS but I haven't bothered with any of the peripheral software, including for my VKB, or Throttles or TrackIR or Peddles etc. I just can't be bothered.
Several years of absolute frustration has sucked the desire right out of me so badly that I don't even know that I will EVER go back to DCS let alone any other Flight Sim.

So I won't have anything for you re: VKB or anything else ... at least none too soon. I'm apt to just sell everything and cut my losses with DCS module investments.
I pay to have fun. Not to be someone's sucker tester for modules that have been in production for YEARS and are still no where near finished. So I'll either find some other exciting Sim or I'll pack it in for good and go back to FPS which I would have NEVER even thought of but had to to fill in a blank I suffered when Jane's stopped producing Flight Sims (Games). I used to live for flying. Now it just contributes to my depression. Who Needs That ?
Old 03-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #49
RePhil

I had had something like a 45 Y. I have now taken all curves and dead zones out of my Warthog HOTAS and the Gazelle flies like a dream is very responsive and much easier to get in auto hover. When I first got it a year ago I was all over the sky like a drunk driver. I don't no if flight model has improved in last few months or I have just gotten use to it

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe
RePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #50
kotor633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damcopter View Post

I am fed up with working with them now. I flew the Gazelle 150hours IRL when starting to learn to fly 15 years ago. Now I have 3000h of fight and still continue to fly every day IRL.
I have asked some current Gazelle pilots to join me in order to help Polychop but Polychop seems to be deaf.
It would be interesting to find out why you were fed up working with Polychop. "I have asked some current Gazelle pilots to join me in order to help Polychop but Polychop seems to be deaf." -> Whether that was the only reason ...
kotor633 is offline   Reply With Quote