A bullseye question for Devs

Wicked.-

My first question is:

Does DCS keep real time bullseye coordinates on each aircraft when in multi player?

If so, is there a way by some keystroke to see your aircraft's bullseye in the corner of the screen? Like an SA bar?

Thanks,

Wicked

Edited by BIGNEWY

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Does DCS keep real time bullseye coordinates on each aircraft when in multi player?

If so, is there a way by some keystroke to see your aircraft's bullseye in the corner of the screen? Like an SA bar?

Thanks,

Wicked

Not sure how it is in BMS, but yes, in DCS each faction have a bullseye set. The bullseye has a position in the world and each aircraft and every other unit in the world has a position, too. In that regard, DCS "keeps track".

But there is no magic function to get your relative position to the bullseye displayed somewhere. You need to keep track of that by yourself - maybe your aircraft NAV system assists you with that ... or you call AWACS and ask for nav assistance.

Depends on the aircraft for the native avionics display. The BE is shown on the F10 map in most or all cases and you can use the ruler tool to measure from it. Be careful between true and magnetic bearings and reports which vary between km and nm.

In the A-10C you can set it in your anchor point page in the cdu, bullseye should be pre-selected, switch "show in hud" (maybe not the exact phrase), then you can see your position relative to BE in the hud. Alternatively you can see it in the TAD. You may need to hook the bullseye first for that..

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

What exactly is the bullseye for? I just play this as a video game, I don't really get into the study sim side. But what is a bullseye for and what are we supposed to do with it? I always saw them, but I never knew what they were for.

What exactly is the bullseye for? I just play this as a video game, I don't really get into the study sim side. But what is a bullseye for and what are we supposed to do with it? I always saw them, but I never knew what they were for.

Bullseye is a navigational reference point used by the military to determine and reference where you are relative to that point. It's used for communication security so if a pilot says where he/she is relative to the Bullseye. The enemy have no idea where they are talking about. However friendlies know where he/she is because they know where Bullseye is. So they have a frame of reference to work from.

Bullseye can be positioned anywhere on a mission map.

Hope that makes sense?

Edited by Mule

Bullseye is a navigational reference point used by the military to determine and reference where you are relative to that point. It's used for communication security so if a pilot says where he/she is relative to the Bullseye. The enemy have no idea where they are talking about. However friendlies know where he/she is because they know where Bullseye is. So they have a frame of reference to work from.

Bullseye can be positioned anywhere on a mission map.

Hope that makes sense?

Well said. Not only do you know where a friendly is in relation to bullseye, you'll know where targets are as well. Weather AG or AA. Whether you slew your radar cursor over the contact or lock it up you get a bullseye coordinate for it that can be communicated to other pilots. This is one way of building SA on the battlefield/theatre in real time.

I realize there are only a few aircraft in DCS with the ability to show bullseye by a wayport or INS. However, aircraft like the F-15C have the ability in real life. So, without trying to add a feature in an older module I'm looking for a way to extract the data that shows your current bullseye or a contacts current bullseye like we're able to do with gauges for Helios.

I'm asking this of the developers and modder's and a simple yes or no will suffice. This post is not meant to be a DCS/BMS comparison. I simply want to know if the data can be extracted because I know it's there.

Persian Gulf kicks ass by the way!

Happy flying!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Thank you sir!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks @Mule and all!

That changes everything.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

• 2 weeks later...

Just for grins, in the real world there can be more than one Bullseye, also they have names..."Bullseye Mike." Have fun!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...