Virpil MongoosT-50 Base settings

When I first got my Virpil stick, axis was working but had some crazy button action, pretty much did not work.

A quick check and I did not have the plug seated in good, re-seated it properly and all was well.

Not saying that is the case here, but if one has some button weirdness upon first hookup take a look at how the plug is seated.

I've had precisely the same issue, my 2nd T50 I received recently had this problem where it behaved crazily when plugged in. After getting advice within 2 hours from Virpil tech support, to gently pull the plug on the stick out longer, giving it some play, so I could really accurately seat the connector, I noticed something curious...

Turns out that whoever tested my stick, had done the same, and returned the plug in the stick handle 180 degrees in the wrong direction, of course causing my insanity with the software/calibration issue. One quick turn, putting the plugs together without the stick on top of them, then feeding the connector/long wire gently back into the stick, then seating it on the base...boom, perfect.

So, lesson learned which I would pass on to other new T50 customers, be very careful with your connector/plug seating, inspect it thoroughly before connecting the stick to the base (which I didn't do, 100% my bust and I'll wear it), and perhaps even do as I was instructed if you have any doubts, gently remove the plug on the stick, gently pull some wire out to give yourself some play/room, and seat the plug from the stick into the base connector this way, and THEN put it back into the stick, and then seat the stick on the base. This is by no means a "must", but if anyone has any issues with the stick as described in this thread, do it this way.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Hi guys,

I have a few problems with my VPC T-50 base.

I tried to change the cam! But impossible!

Yeah I know there is thread lock ( Why on earth is there thread lock on a part you know the user will want to take out ?! )

I heated the screw a lot with a heat gun. Then tried with my best screwdriver, but alas one of the screw starped to stip.

SO I even took my soldering iron and heated the screw trough conduction ! Still impossible to remove the screw without damaging the head !

I don't understand why those screws are not torx head or hex head, it is so simple to design, if you need a screw to be put under a lot of torque the put a hex or torx srew, not a bloody philips !

And why on earth did they put threadlock on the one screw we want to take out, none of this makes sense.

Now I will have to drill out the cam screw if I want to take them out ...

So my questions are:

1. What is your deadzone settings, and where do you set them? In DCS or in the VPC Configurator Light?

2. What about the curves, what are your curves settings?

1. None - 0 - nada- niente - nimic :D

2. Same as for point 1

I have changed to soft cams, standard springs and 7.5 cm extension from the Warthog. I am using a small amount (up to 10) of curvature only when I am trying fly formation.

The only command where I am almost always using curves is for rudder. Even MFG Crosswinds is a piece of art regarding the precision, I still found that the output in game too amplified for planes. No curves for helicopters....

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

When I first got my Virpil stick, axis was working but had some crazy button action, pretty much did not work.

A quick check and I did not have the plug seated in good, re-seated it properly and all was well.

Not saying that is the case here, but if one has some button weirdness upon first hookup take a look at how the plug is seated.

It's not hte internal plug, that was my first thought too. It is my powerd hub itself. I disconnected everything from it, only the T-50 Stick connected and i my buttons doesn't work. If i unplug it and connect it to one of my many free USB ports on my PC itself everything works perfectly fine. I love this Stick, what a difference to my old TM Warthog.

Job well done Virpil! :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I use stock settings. For flying fighters I think they are perfect, the progressive increase in tension provides an incredibly good feedback in dogfights to know how much you're pulling and how much to ease when overpulling. When I ordered the stick I was not aware of this difference compared to the TMW, but it's a complete game changer to me.

I haven't tried the other springs / cams, although I feel the strong springs would be too much and similar with the cams. Soft spring is a no-no for me, I think it would result in a similar situation as the TMW where you can throw the stick around with the same amount of force.

I added a curve of 20 ( or 22 or 25 I honestly don't remember ) because I often let go of the stick during normal flight and when I reach back it would cause insane bumps in input. I might try deadzone later, although I think I'll probably return to the curve only solution.

It also helps with precision around the center. Which reminds me. I absolutely love the precision combined with the complete lack of inertia on the stick. With the TMW even with significant curve I'd have to squeeze the grip all along to do precision flight (i.e. formation or AAR) while with this I can just sit back and enjoy the show. Simply awesome.

As an example I used to have a 3rd party virtual controller for the TMW just during AAR to shrink the input range to 1/10th so I can make precision moves with full deflection. It was still hard to complete an AAR, even when practicing all the time. No need for any of that nonsense now. Not even practicing, I literally sat down the first time and completed an AAR with 2-3 disconnects with bags on.

I haven't tried the other springs / cams, although I feel the strong springs would be too much and similar with the cams. Soft spring is a no-no for me, I think it would result in a similar situation as the TMW where you can throw the stick around with the same amount of force.

Not really, I am running the soft springs and soft center cams.

It still has some decent tension as the stick progresses toward the extremes.

For me, I find I am smoother especially with small inputs around center , than I was with the medium springs.

Very much a personal taste though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Soft spring is a no-no for me, I think it would result in a similar situation as the TMW where you can throw the stick around with the same amount of force.

The increase of resistance towards the extremes is not determined by strength of the string with type of gimbal T-50 has - it depends on cam profile.

The cam is what is responsible for the increasing resistance and tension, regarding the distance the stick moves from the center. The springs give a pretty even representation of their resistance/strength evenly throughout stick motion.

I'm using the stock cam with the soft center and progressive resistance as it's the best option, for right NOW. There is a new cam, their "space" cam, which will have the best of both worlds IMO, a soft center, with no increasing progression, an even amound of progress from center to max deflection on the stick motion. Perfect. This combined with the soft spring will = perfection IMO.

Right now, with the stock center bump cam and soft spring, the feeling the T50 stick gives is lighter than the TM Warthog, but heavier than the CH Products or Saitek sticks. It's an excellent feel right now IMO, not so light that the stick will give spurious inputs, but not so heavy that it's a chore to move, like say the old Thrusmaster F22 type sticks.

Right now, the stock cam with light spring = a great combo for the T50 and the new coming cam will be perfect IMO.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

The cam is what is responsible for the increasing resistance and tension, regarding the distance the stick moves from the center. The springs give a pretty even representation of their resistance/strength evenly throughout stick motion.

I'm using the stock cam with the soft center and progressive resistance as it's the best option, for right NOW. There is a new cam, their "space" cam, which will have the best of both worlds IMO, a soft center, with no increasing progression, an even amound of progress from center to max deflection on the stick motion. Perfect. This combined with the soft spring will = perfection IMO.

Right now, with the stock center bump cam and soft spring, the feeling the T50 stick gives is lighter than the TM Warthog, but heavier than the CH Products or Saitek sticks. It's an excellent feel right now IMO, not so light that the stick will give spurious inputs, but not so heavy that it's a chore to move, like say the old Thrusmaster F22 type sticks.

Right now, the stock cam with light spring = a great combo for the T50 and the new coming cam will be perfect IMO.

Fully agree, I love the feel with soft springs and soft center cam

I tightened up the center a little with the adjustment screws.

The Virpil T-50 is a hard one to beat! Heck of a stick for their first effort.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Question for you guys.

I see that on the T50 base, that it has mounting bolt points on the "front".

Can the base be turned through 90 degrees such that the front is pointed to the left and effectively use the axes in a turned basis.

Hope that makes sense.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.