Landing Aids? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
AG-51_Razor

Reputation power: 8
AG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the rough
Default Landing Aids?

Can someone discuss or explain what, if any, landing aids there are aboard ship for the Harrier and helicopters for that matter?

We are fairly familiar with the IFOLS and ACLS that a Hornet pilot has to help get them back aboard their CVN during lousy weather. What is available to the Harrier and helicopter drivers operating from the LHA's?

Last edited by AG-51_Razor; 09-10-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
AG-51_Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
SuperSix2
Tester NS 430

Reputation power: 6
SuperSix2 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe they have a landing aid other then hand signals from the Paddles.
SuperSix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
AG-51_Razor

AG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the rough

That is interesting. I would think that they would have figured out some kind of instrument approach procedures for the helicopters over the years and would have figured out a way to adapt them to the Harrier. I suppose that the V-22 is in the same boat?

I've no doubt that they have a non precision TACAN approach to the boat but I just assumed that there would be something like the meat ball and/or some type of ILS available as well.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
drPhibes

drPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nicedrPhibes is just really nice

I had a quick skim through both the AV-8B and SH-60 manuals, and none of them mention any landing aids (just, as you mentioned, TACAN, which at least helps you find the ship), so it seems that you'll need to land visually.
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
waistcat

Reputation power: 5
waistcat is on a distinguished road

As a UK Aircraft Handler who worked on the flight deck in a previous life, there are no visual aids other than the spot number that is painted on the deck which is assigned to the pilot on his approach call and the signals from the marshal. There was orientation lighting for night time opertions but not specific to a landing aid.

In the UK in the days when we had a fleet air arm, the approach was flown at a specific height (depending on sea state) along the portside of the ship until abeam the spot and the pilot then would follow the signals from the marshal on the deck.

I for one will look forward to honing my skills to follow that procedure although I'll have to imagine there is a mini me on the deck freezing his nuts off, soaked through from the spray in the 30 knot wind across the deck. Ah happy days.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
AG-51_Razor

Thanks for the replies fellas! Good information
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Repth

Reputation power: 0
Repth is on a distinguished road

The Marines use systems very similar to the IFOLS and ACLS as far as aids for landing in poor weather. The Wasp Class ships use the VSTOL/OLS and ICLS along with TACAN Navigation to find the ship itself.

Edit: These aren't the highest quality pictures but still show the locations of the systems on the ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	169153   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	169154  

Last edited by Repth; 09-14-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added content
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #8
AG-51_Razor

Very cool! Thank you for that information Repth
Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #9
Guitrz

Reputation power: 3
Guitrz is on a distinguished road

Just because it doesn't have any aids doesn't mean you don't have to wear protection!
Guitrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Repth

Reputation power: 0
Repth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-51_Razor View Post
Very cool! Thank you for that information Repth
No Problem Razor, glad I could help
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote