Contacts not appearing in TWS or BVR - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Reputation power: 49
WildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to all
Default Contacts not appearing in TWS or BVR

So I get pinged by two Mig-29s dead ahead, AWACS reports on heading, 60 miles, 20000 yet I clock radar to altitude band 17-30 via scan zone up and down, nothing. No blips or anything. I even try MPRF HPRF swapping no dice. Is it a radar problem? maybe my radar got fried but radar screen working?
Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
feefifofum
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 9
feefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nice

Hi WildBill, HPRF with a 30 degree azimuth should give you the best chance of detecting this type of target in the F-15.

Factors such as meteorological conditions and relative altitude are also important and can affect your ability to detect targets. If significantly higher than them, for example, and they have terrain behind them, I wouldn't expect to see them much before ~50 miles. Big jets like the Flanker and large support/bomber aircraft will show up much farther out.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
pr1malr8ge

Reputation power: 7
pr1malr8ge has a spectacular aura aboutpr1malr8ge has a spectacular aura aboutpr1malr8ge has a spectacular aura aboutpr1malr8ge has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillKelsoe View Post
So I get pinged by two Mig-29s dead ahead, AWACS reports on heading, 60 miles, 20000 yet I clock radar to altitude band 17-30 via scan zone up and down, nothing. No blips or anything. I even try MPRF HPRF swapping no dice. Is it a radar problem? maybe my radar got fried but radar screen working?
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefifofum View Post
Hi WildBill, HPRF with a 30 degree azimuth should give you the best chance of detecting this type of target in the F-15.

Factors such as meteorological conditions and relative altitude are also important and can affect your ability to detect targets. If significantly higher than them, for example, and they have terrain behind them, I wouldn't expect to see them much before ~50 miles. Big jets like the Flanker and large support/bomber aircraft will show up much farther out.

Even though mig29 su27 ect is a "Large" aircraft when standing next to one. In terms of scale compared to a bomber/tanker/awacs like a tu95 bear, kc35 ect ect. they are considered Small. With that being said. The F15 radar is able to see contacts to 60nm and beyond but realistically that's figured into the bomber category or Large aircraft when the radar mode was developed for the sim. While I have at times seen fighters out that far, this was because the aircraft was co-altitude and dead on the nose and I was in narrow search pattern. Even then It if memory recalls I could not lock nor did the contact stay on the screen. how ever I can see the tanker & awacs just fine at those rangers.

In dcs fighter contacts don't show up till like FeeFifofum mentioned less then 50nm. So no, it's not an issue on your end or really on the end of the sim either.
If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.
pr1malr8ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
SHaDoW STeP BG

SHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura aboutSHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura aboutSHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura aboutSHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura about

https://tawdcs.org/radar-f15/ this is a pretty neat tool.

When it comes to how well it is simulated the, the radar that is, there are many threads and claims, but I don't think we will see any changes :/ Especially to an FC3 aircraft
SHaDoW STeP BG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
<Blaze>

Reputation power: 11
<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice<Blaze> is just really nice

I think they messed with the EW modeling in the background. A couple years back it was pretty consistent, HPRF you could see almost anything up to 60 miles unless it was beaming or cold. MPRF worked anywhere inside ~ 25 miles.

Now it seems to be super random and you can see things at 30 miles or further in MPRF sometimes. The old rules still work as a general guide but you run into weird things far more often than before. I've been following most of the changes but I don't recall any official change being made, so not really sure, but seems rather obvious that something changed.

How do you kill 2 flankers with 1 wing?

A good fighter pilot is either trying to get high or is already high!
<Blaze> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
SHaDoW STeP BG

SHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura aboutSHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura aboutSHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura aboutSHaDoW STeP BG has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Blaze> View Post
I think they messed with the EW modeling in the background. A couple years back it was pretty consistent, HPRF you could see almost anything up to 60 miles unless it was beaming or cold. MPRF worked anywhere inside ~ 25 miles.

Now it seems to be super random and you can see things at 30 miles or further in MPRF sometimes. The old rules still work as a general guide but you run into weird things far more often than before. I've been following most of the changes but I don't recall any official change being made, so not really sure, but seems rather obvious that something changed.
Yeah, I've noticed stuff like that too, and as we know a lot of stuff gets changed behind the patch notes, which we don't know about
SHaDoW STeP BG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
JINX_1391

Reputation power: 3
JINX_1391 will become famous soon enoughJINX_1391 will become famous soon enoughJINX_1391 will become famous soon enough

Also remember to check radar scan range...can't see target at 60nm if you're only scanning to 40. Might seem basic but those are usually the first things that start to slip when the tunnel vision starts.

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C
module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS
or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."
-Pyromanic4002
JINX_1391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Reputation power: 49
WildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to all

on a fourth run, the trouble is, they did appear in TWS after getting really close, I'd say within the published and agreed upon 45 nm, but not the venerable LRS. Also, they were at lower level, with separation of at least 10,000 ft in between us. I did pick them up but after a long fight with MPRF/HPRF, LRS/TWS modes and I do seem to remember that it was easier to spot things.

Question though, the F-15 radar can only be moved up and down not like Flanker radar right and left? because there is scan zone up down right left commands but I dont think it really changes azimuth.

I also noticed that predicted target range (+\-) command maybe this could be the answer? I notice that on moving this the azimuth bars get narrow, but does that mean the scan zone also gets narrow? Because afaiu, narrow FOV and high PRF gives the best chances of spotting a closing fly dead ahead than a receding one fading into background and the notch..

Another question, the NDTWS or break lock command has two entries in controls, which of those can be used to satisfactorily undesignate a PDT from a picture without causing contacts to disappear, if I were to shift PDT to SDT?
Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
GGTharos
Veteran

Reputation power: 307
GGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant future

You have two AZ settings in the F-15: +/-60deg, which you cannot move (it covers the entire gimbal) and +/-30deg, which is 60deg total (half of the radar screen) and that follows the Captain's Bars/Target Designation Cursor/Acquisition Symbol/whatever else you want to call it

All scans are 4 bars are 70deg/sec so you can do the math for how long it takes to completely cover each AZ setting.

As for break-lock commands, why not try them both and find out?

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
BuzzU

Reputation power: 17
BuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura about

Not sure why not seeing them at 60 miles is important? Neither of you can do anything at that range except look at each other.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."

"Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote