Holidays are coming: Warthog or VKB

Well, what it comes down to as specified in the OP's first post, he won't be using rudder pedals so the stick MUST HAVE A TWIST GRIP. The thread has tended to deviate from the original parameters and is devolving into a battle of which is better and why.

Which sticks or H.O.T.A.S. have a twist for rudder control?

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Well, what it comes down to as specified in the OP's first post, he won't be using rudder pedals so the stick MUST HAVE A TWIST GRIP.

My reading of the the OP is that: (1) he definitely strongly prefers a twist grip, but, as indicated by his consideration of a WH stick, (2) not having this is not a deal-breaker. And if this reading is correct, then, no, it does not all come down to "MUST HAVE A TWIST GRIP". So, thanks for the attempt to corral the discussion, but maybe check the parameters before enforcing them?

And, to answer your further query ...

- TMWH has no option for a twist grip, now or in the future.

- I believe the VKB will support a twist grip adapter for their current series in the future.

- VPC/VIRPIL's current offering does not support twist, but I believe the are working on a far-future space sim stick in a completely different line/model from the current series that might?

Which sticks or H.O.T.A.S. have a twist for rudder control?

Is more easy list the ones that don't have twist:

CH joysticks

Cougar/Warthog

VKB Gladiator PRO and Gunfighter.*

*VKB will have a optional twist (with contactless sensor) for their MCG grips.

All Saitek stick or H.O.T.A.S. has twist, all "entry level" joysticks has twist.

Then the available twist - excluding VKB Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla" with MaRS sensor - is poor solution, using low cost/durability pot and in some with low resolution on twist axis (8 bits, 256 "steeps").

Actually the only joystick that use contacless sensor in twist is VKB Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla", all others use ordinary low cost potentiometer.

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

Actually the only joystick that use contacless sensor in twist is VKB Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla", all others use ordinary low cost potentiometer.

There's also the Saitek X65F stick which uses force sensing for the twist axis as well.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

hmm I like my TM WH .... so far, and have not longing for more...

Perhaps my joystick is the reason why it is so hard to refuel in air..??? or is it because the f'ing AI driver keeps moving around and can't fly straight and level and at a speed that isn't about to stall ALL AIRCRAFTS known to man?

no...it must be the flight stick I will try my twist grip VBK next and see if it is any better.... (fairly sure the result will be the same.... just sayn..)

Perhaps my joystick is the reason why it is so hard to refuel in air..???

Your joystick gimbal mechanic principle don't help in small movements around center, because you need overcome the spring "lock" force to start move away from center position, what can result move more than desired, then you try corrige... rinse and repeat. :joystick:

Your joystick gimbal mechanic principle don't help in small movements around center, because you need overcome the spring "lock" force to start move away from center position, what can result move more than desired, then you try corrige... rinse and repeat. :joystick:

Using both a Warthog and Mongoos T50, I agree here. The Warthog doesn't have the finesse around centre that a T50 has (Can't comment on the VKB as I don't own one yet), it is much easier to get fine movements near centre, especially as I have the "no centre" cam installed on mine.

The Warthog has it's benefits, I truly love the grip, and think it's probably the most comfortable grip to hold and use (even in winter, when it's freezing cold...), but the springs and buttons are way too heavily damped. I'd love to have the switches used in my VPC also used in the Warthog grip. In fact, I'd pay for a "Warthog internals package" from either VKB or VPC.

Z...

Just concerning the 'no pedals' requirement. The TM TWCS throttle has this nice and broad analog ''Manual toggle rudder with 15° angle and re-centering'' attached to the front of the throttle. I use it myself and i feel it is way better than a twist grip for yaw control. Mainly because you don't have to work all three axis with one hand of course. But, you very likely needed to do some regreasing of the throttle with products mentioned here more than once on the forums.

Ok.. 1. what is more in use ?

2. which offers the best value ?

3. without probs of " eastern" so called service and support

4. have you seen the so called " high quality inner life of those hear say new standarts ?

I have enough friends using the thrustmaster warthog and they are CONTENT... you don tneed to rebuilt your living room or just park your car outside because inside is now your 20K simpit..

And the price ? VPC complete set is around 850bucks... you have rich children ? thrustmaster u get ( i have seen ) for 320.. complete :-)

I will take the warthog all time long... just have to find the fitting children :-)

Ok.. 1. what is more in use ?

2. which offers the best value ?

3. without probs of " eastern" so called service and support

4. have you seen the so called " high quality inner life of those hear say new standarts ?

I have enough friends using the thrustmaster warthog and they are CONTENT... you don tneed to rebuilt your living room or just park your car outside because inside is now your 20K simpit..

And the price ? VPC complete set is around 850bucks... you have rich children ? thrustmaster u get ( i have seen ) for 320.. complete :-)

I will take the warthog all time long... just have to find the fitting children :-)

Warthogs have awful build quality (notorious for premature deaths) and a subpar gimbal design, but if you want to pay $320 for a mediocre product...have at it. A few years ago, yeah it was the best option for the price...today, not worth it IMO.

This is coming from a Warthog owner (not for much longer if VKB would hurry it up with showing their throttle design).

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Have you seen their latest comment ref. delivery and production delay? :-) No thanks, realy...

I remember there being a time when Warthogs were nigh on impossible to get hold of, no matter how much money you had to throw at it. In fact, Apple have issues producing enough iPhones to meet demand when they launch their new phones.

Every.

Single.

Year.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

Warthogs have awful build quality (notorious for premature deaths) and a subpar gimbal design, but if you want to pay $320 for a mediocre product...have at it. A few years ago, yeah it was the best option for the price...today, not worth it IMO.

This is coming from a Warthog owner (not for much longer if VKB would hurry it up with showing their throttle design).

+1

From a 7 year WH owner. Waiting for my VKB order to come. I prefer the VKB to the Virpil because of the variable analogue/Digital switch capability, high quality components and better fit and finish from what I can see.

I had my throttle brick twice. Sent it to France the first time, got someone else's back, with who knows how many hours on it. Bricked again and I just replaced the board, I'm afraid to even plug it in. Haven't flown anything in years waiting for something to replace it with.

I suspect Virpil will have a throttle offering out long before VKB does.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I never really have had too many problems with my TMWH. I had a wire at the grip connector break a couple times, nothing a few minutes with a soldering iron coulnd't fix. Also the rubber washer eventually spit out of the gimbal, luckily I have a laser and teflon sheets at work, a few minutes and I made a new one (you can buy them to).

Of course I shouldn't have had these issues, but I'm a tinkerer/handyman by nature, I don't let a few things here and there get me down.

I've had better luck with the throttle, but recently my boat switch did become flaky, that could be my fault, I've bumped it quite hard getting in and out of my pit a number of times.

I got a Gunfighter Pro last spring, it actually took quite a bit of getting used to coming from a WH gimbal, but now I quite like it. I will say if crank up the dry clutches, I get some sticktion just like with the TMWH.

I don't regret getting either, and the TMWH grip on the GfP is just awesome, combined with the TMWH throttle.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I suspect Virpil will have a throttle offering out long before VKB does.

Which is unfortunate, because I think I may just wait for VKB's (at least until they announce/show the throttle so I can compare it to other options) because VPC's didn't really blow me away. Yes it looks nice, but I wasn't exactly "wow'd" by it.

Feels like I am going to be waiting forever to replace this WH as VKB takes their sweet time getting anything to market.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I got a Gunfighter Pro ... I will say if crank up the dry clutches, I get some sticktion just like with the TMWH.

Difference is that in one the stiction is user option - as is the job of "dry clutch" create friction, in another is imposed by bad design/materials. :D