Trim won't work if "USB network joystick" controller is plugged out during flight!

Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

2 hours ago, D4n said:

You are aware that when unplugging any USB-controller device while in a DCS-mission makes the controller-name and an ID appear in the top right (with the "disconnect"-message), or didn't you know?? That indication clearly is a sign that DCS supports hotplugging...

Except you even stated that your controller is not supported!!!!  you've just gone full circle again!

On 5/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, D4n said:

Because trim doesn't work while it's plugged in.

9 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

A message that something has happened which might cause the game to stop working properly

source for that it "may cause the game to stop working properly", please.

9 minutes ago, Dagger71 said:

Except you even stated that your controller is not supported!!!!  you've just gone full circle again!

big big misunderstanding, dear Dagger... ofc. my controller ("USB-gamepad") is supported, but why the f... would I fly (or trim) a DCS aircraft with a gamepad, when I have my Thrustmaster T.16000 + TWS ??? 😂

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

2 minutes ago, D4n said:

source for that it "may cause the game to stop working properly", please.

big big misunderstanding, dear Dagger... ofc. my controller ("USB-gamepad") is supported, but why the f... would I fly (or trim) a DCS aircraft with a gamepad, when I have my Thrustmaster T.16000 + TWS ??? 😂

I have NO idea why you would try to fly with a gamepad plugged in when you have you TM T1600.  We've all been asking from the beginning.

What name and ID shows up when you do plug in your controller????

Source? This thread. You are having problems because Windows  controller software is flawed. ED can't do anything about it. Go complain to Microsoft.

@Dagger71Personally, I fly with a gamepad plugged in. Partly because I sometimes use it as a cheap 'button box' in DCS (and other flight sims), and partly because I also play games that work best with a controller. I keep it plugged in because the flawed Windows controller API gets flaky when you plug in and unplug controllers. Doing it that way, no issues. Or at least, no more issued than as usual with Windows USB stuff. 

Edited by AndyJWest

38 minutes ago, Dagger71 said:

I have NO idea why you would try to fly with a gamepad plugged in when you have you TM T1600.  We've all been asking from the beginning.

omg Dagger... I would fly with a gamepad plugged in because I very regularly also play another game that I NEED a gamepad for!!!!! (Rocket League, a game that also helps at understanding thrust-vectoring in relation to gravity, for example 🙂 )

What name and ID shows up when you do plug in your controller????

will tell you in a few days when I am home again, but it may be "USB gamepad"-something and ID {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}

37 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

You are having problems because Windows  controller software is flawed. ED can't do anything about it.

How would you know whether ED can do anything about it or not??? @AndyJWest

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

12 minutes ago, D4n said:

omg Dagger... I would fly with a gamepad plugged in because I very regularly also play another game that I NEED a gamepad for!!!!! (Rocket League, a game that also helps at understanding thrust-vectoring in relation to gravity, for example 🙂 )

will tell you in a few days when I am home again, but it may be "USB gamepad"-something and ID {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}

How would you know whether ED can do anything about it or not??? @AndyJWest

Why not just unplug it before launching DCS?  Besides even you stated that the gamepad does not work properly in  DCS.   DCS cannot support a controller if  the manufacturer doesn't even provide drivers.

Edited by Dagger71

36 minutes ago, Dagger71 said:

Why not just unplug it before launching DCS? 

Because I don't play Rocket League everytime just before playing DCS maybe? 🤨 And I'm definitely not going to check if it's plugged out everytime I launch DCS... Who do you think I am, and we're living in 2021, not 1995 🤖💾 (I launch DCS sometimes at least 6x or so within 15 hours, would be my wild guess...)

Edited by D4n

26 minutes ago, D4n said:

Because I don't play Rocket League everytime just before playing DCS maybe? 🤨 And I'm definitely not going to check if it's plugged out everytime I launch DCS... Who do you think I am, and we're living in 2021, not 1995 🤖💾 (I launch DCS sometimes at least 6x or so within 15 hours, would be my wild guess...)

I always unplug my unsupported controllers before starting DCS. You should too!

Edited by Dagger71

On 3/1/2021 at 5:54 PM, Dagger71 said:

I always unplug my unsupported controllers before starting DCS. You should too!

Is it possible to write a batch script file that opens a .txt file that says "D4n, unplug your USB gamepad (or disable it in device-manager) now! 😄 " while the script launches DCS_updater, or a batch file that opens a .txt. as soon as I start DCS_updater? 😃 that would be the "cheapest" solution in this case, I think

Solution: https://streamable.com/u2009k

On 3/1/2021 at 8:47 PM, AndyJWest said:

When I do 'thing', it breaks stuff...

Stop doing 'thing' then.

But I want to do 'thing'!

Then you'll have to put up with 'thing' breaking stuff.

or my just invented above mentioned solution will stop me from doing "thing" 😀 (or rather from forgetting to unplug thing)

Edited by D4n

4 minutes ago, D4n said:

Is it possible to write a batch script file that opens a .txt file that says "D4n, unplug your USB gamepad (or disable it in device-manager) now! 😄 " while the script launches DCS_updater, or a batch file that opens a .txt. as soon as I start DCS_updater? 😃 that would be the "cheapest" solution in this case, I think

Put a post-it on your monitor that says "check plugged-in devices before starting DCS" or similar...

Yup. A nicely-printed 'DCS Startup Sequence' placard would solve D4n's problem. And wouldn't be a bad idea for me either, given how often I've forgotten to start TrackIR before running DCS. Though I've sort of solved that by arranging the relevant icons on my desktop in order, making it less easy to forget something.

27 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Put a post-it on your monitor that says "check plugged-in devices before starting DCS" or similar...

What, no, post it is from the 90s... Batch files is what we're at since the 2000s 😆 but I just realized that my logic is flawed and that I only fly spitfire/Mi-8 quite rarely... So the best solution could probably be replacing the DCS multiplayer-server loading-screen by a picture that has a sentence like "Hey..

did you just join Storm Of War - Normandy server, or do you plan to fly Mi-8 now? Unplug or disable that s**t now before you select the slot, dude!"  in the center bottom or so. 😌 Anyone know if we can change the background image of the DCS multiplayer-loading-screen? 😬

The risk is that everytime OpenBeta patch releases, it could overwrite my custom image... 🤔

Edited by D4n

Yesss it just proved useful for the 1st time 😂

There ya go!  Took you 3 pages but at least you figured it out, you did it!!

Now you can go on Rocket League forums and post in  bug section that your controller does not work when its not plugged in!

Edited by Dagger71

12 hours ago, Dagger71 said:

at least you figured it out

Well it's a workaround only 😒 but it spares ED from spending time on a software-solution 😄

17 hours ago, D4n said:

Well it's a workaround only 😒 but it spares ED from spending time on a software-solution 😄

You and the entire DCS player base can  rest assured that ED did not spend  a single millisecond  trying to support a controller that only uses a generic USB driver, and  more importantly, one that you don't even use in game!

Edited by Dagger71

• 1 month later...

one that you don't even use in game!

ME not, YES, but possibly many others DO use it ingame! It's fully capable to work with DCS (afaik) !

@ED: We would still very much appreciate such fix, quite frustrating having to close such a "plug it out because ED doesn't fix it" window everytime.

Edited by D4n

6 hours ago, Dagger71 said:

nothing ED can do to help you remove your unused gamepad before you launch DCS. What happened to your reminder script?

There is, ED could either fix the trimming to work with such type of gamepads, or they could make DCS fully ignore that type of gamepad.

Script is working but as mentioned above, "quite frustrating having to close such a "plug it out because ED doesn't fix it" window everytime."

This is a windows and gamepad driver  issue.   ED cannot possibly fix  this as your gamepad is using a windows generic gamepad.   Been through this so many times already.  

just unplug any usb controller you dont want to use with DCS. In fact This is true for any sim!!!

Edited by Dagger71

13 minutes ago, Dagger71 said:

ED cannot possibly fix this

Are you a programmer, have you ever worked on USB-drivers?