US F/A-18E Shoots Down Syrian Su-22

It's very likely the Syrian pilot to have had no clue about the Super Hornet being around not to mention shooting

According to the BBC, the pilot was warned to leave before the Hornet fired.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40322666

oh, and

It is believed to be the first air-to-air kill of a manned aircraft by a US military jet since the Kosovo campaign in 1999.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

A Syrian Su-22 flying in Syrian airspace probably wasn't expecting to be launched on by a country that that isn't formally engaged in hostilities with Syria, so even putting aside the 25 year generational difference in the aircraft, the Su-22 would have been a sitting duck...

Just in case you haven't seen or read the news about Syria for the last 6 years: There's a civil war going on in Syria since 2011 with a death toll estimated to be at least 400,000 killed in the revolt against the Assad regime that has been in power since November 1970 (not elected, but through violent coupe).

So to that end, a Syrian Su-22 flying in Syrian airspace has all the reasons to expect to be fired upon, first and foremost from his own people (Syrians of the various resistance affiliations) that he was most probably sent to bomb.

The way I see it is that the message is very clear from the USA: If your'e not there to bomb ISIS, expect to be shot down.

Edited by ViFF
  • Like 1

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

both pilots just trying to do their jobs. what would you have done as the syrian pilot? to obey american orders would be dereliction if not treason; you'd at least have a chance of surviving and maybe even hailed a hero if you chanced it with the missile.

• Like 1

oh, and

The Pilot was Given an Updated RoE when the Aircraft Dropped Ordinance on our allied troops.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

oh, and

Attempts to warn the plane away using an emergency radio frequency failed, the US Central Command said.

From a technical standpoint, is it likely that the pilot can receive such a message if the radios are not set to the right frequency?

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

F-15 Shot down another Drone today according to news ticker.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I've read everything from he was saved to he was captured by the SDF.

There is alot of misinformation out there about the incident. Some even say the SU-22 didn't drop any of its bombs and it was a wanted escalation by the US.

Over all the typical internet creativity :doh: So far we know almost nothing

you'd at least have a chance of surviving and maybe even hailed a hero if you chanced it with the missile.

Well I doubt even if a Syrian Su-22 managed to avoid a US 9X, that it would somehow escape the other Rhinos and or more missles bu whatever. It sucks to be that Syrian pilot but I dont feel bad for him, this is war.

Sorry mods if im skirting around the political edge

If those drones haven't been gunned down it must have been a helluva waste. BTW I wonder at what stage nowadays ROE's allow air-to-air gunnery? I mean in both a2a incidents in Syria (the Russian Su-24 and the recent one) rear aspect shot with a heater from a fair short range are rumored. Given the types (attacker and target) it doesn't look like too complicated to go gunzo.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Im not really at home in all the military news stations out there, but is this a reliable source or would this count as just another estimated guess trying to look legit?

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm