USS Fitzgerald [DDG-62] Accident

badaboom

Frankly they're lucky they're not getting a dishonorable discharge.

There's a balance that needs to be struck here- while the ship took extensive damage, and seven sailors are lost, both of which speak to a lack of professionalism on the part of leadership in that monent, by the same token, the fact the Fitzgerald made it back to port speaks to their leadership prior, and for two (given the CO was incapacitated)- also in the moment.

At some point, having honorable and competent careers end, in combination with the fact that the seven lives lost due to someone down the chain failing to follow a standing order will forever be on their conscience, is enough. And here is nothing available to the public at this time stating that the orders left on the bridge weren't correct, or not complied with.

So let the investigation take place.

The one aspect that stands out to me in the Supplemental Inquiry regarding casualties is the sole sailor who got out from the starboard egress, not mentioned in the story- he literally lost consciousness while attempting to swim for that egress, and has no recollection as to how he got out of Berthing 2.

I get a sincere feeling in my gut that one of the seven lost assisted him and went back in for more.

https://www.scribd.com/document/356573781/Supplemental-Inquiry-USS-Fitzgerald#from_embed

There's a balance that needs to be struck here- while the ship took extensive damage, and seven sailors are lost, both of which speak to a lack of professionalism on the part of leadership in that monent, by the same token, the fact the Fitzgerald made it back to port speaks to their leadership prior, and for two (given the CO was incapacitated)- also in the moment.

At some point, having honorable and competent careers end, in combination with the fact that the seven lives lost due to someone down the chain failing to follow a standing order will forever be on their conscience, is enough. And here is nothing available to the public at this time stating that the orders left on the bridge weren't correct, or not complied with.

So let the investigation take place.

The one aspect that stands out to me in the Supplemental Inquiry regarding casualties is the sole sailor who got out from the starboard egress, not mentioned in the story- he literally lost consciousness while attempting to swim for that egress, and has no recollection as to how he got out of Berthing 2.

I get a sincere feeling in my gut that one of the seven lost assisted him and went back in for more.

https://www.scribd.com/document/356573781/Supplemental-Inquiry-USS-Fitzgerald#from_embed

No I know..I'm just saying with the witch hunt atmosphere that sometimes is very prevalent in the US military it's surprising to me that an overzealous decision didn't lead that way.

One would expect that ships prepared to counter any attack show better situational awareness, even in busy shipping lanes. Because modern combat is likely to happen exactly there, no?

But OK I do not want to jump to conclusions, I guess we agree indeed that these incidents shouldn't be happening.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was no accident, within 2 months of each other(the fitz now the mccain).

I bet it has to do with them being AEGIS equipped destroyers. Do your own research and go down the rabbit hole if you dare.

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

7th Fleet Commander Relieved of Duty

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2017/08/23/7th-fleet-commander-sacked-days-after-second-deadly-collision/

"WASHINGTON – The head of U.S. Navy forces in the Pacific fired the three-star commander of the Japan-based 7th Fleet Wednesday, two days after the second deadly collision between a U.S. destroyer and a commercial tanker in as many months.

Adm. Scott Swift relieved Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin after a rash of accidents have raised fundamental questions about the ships in 7th Fleet, including whether they are able to safely execute even the most basic functions expected of naval warships based in one of the most congested and volatile regions on earth.

“Adm. Scott Swift, commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, today relieved the commander of Seventh Fleet, Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command,” a release posted on PACFLT‘s website said."

Patrick

mini.gif