RTX 2080 Super VR optimization

Hey guys, recently upgraded from a 980ti to an RTX 2080 Super and to my dismay, the game runs absolutely horrible with this new card. One minute everything is fine, the next minute, my frames are down in the low 20's (single player). I don't know if it's the card optimization or the recent update. I didn't experience these issues with my 980 ti but then again, I had to update the game after I installed my new card because I had not played in about a month or so.

Doesn't seem to matter if I run high or low settings, i get similar results. Turning MSAA and Anisotropic filtering completely off, and setting all other values to their lowest settings does help but I still get some frame stutter and the game is just about unplayable in VR with those settings. I have also tried turning off asynchronous spacewarp and that has zero affect.

So is anyone else experiencing these issues with this card? if not, what settings are you using for VR? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

intel 3700k @4.7 Ghz, Evga RTX 2080 Super, 32gb DDR3 Memory, Samsun SSD

I’m running a similar system with a Vega 64 and I think you and I are both cpu bottle necked. I get around 50-80 FPS in single player though, but it could be that I do smaller missions.

On the 104th for multiplayer I’m lucky to get 40 FPS and down to 20 at various times.

Ivy bridge is almost 10 years old by now and showing it’s age- even if it’s overclocked

Hey guys, recently upgraded from a 980ti to an RTX 2080 Super and to my dismay, the game runs absolutely horrible with this new card. One minute everything is fine, the next minute, my frames are down in the low 20's (single player). I don't know if it's the card optimization or the recent update. I didn't experience these issues with my 980 ti but then again, I had to update the game after I installed my new card because I had not played in about a month or so.

Doesn't seem to matter if I run high or low settings, i get similar results. Turning MSAA and Anisotropic filtering completely off, and setting all other values to their lowest settings does help but I still get some frame stutter and the game is just about unplayable in VR with those settings. I have also tried turning off asynchronous spacewarp and that has zero affect.

So is anyone else experiencing these issues with this card? if not, what settings are you using for VR? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

intel 3700k @4.7 Ghz, Evga RTX 2080 Super, 32gb DDR3 Memory, Samsun SSD

Did you use DDU to install latest Nvidea drivers ?

How about your power supply ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I’m running a similar system with a Vega 64 and I think you and I are both cpu bottle necked. I get around 50-80 FPS in single player though, but it could be that I do smaller missions.

On the 104th for multiplayer I’m lucky to get 40 FPS and down to 20 at various times.

Ivy bridge is almost 10 years old by now and showing it’s age- even if it’s overclocked

I hear ya on the dated CPU but it still doesn't explain why I was getting better performance with the 980ti.

Set energy option to "max performance" in the nvidia settings? Another thing to check is the card throttling because of thermal problems? Or it could just be a defective card.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

to me it sounds like a thermal issue.

Install MSI afterburner and configure it's OSD to show GPU temp and usage, you should then see why if I am right.

DL at guru3d.com https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/msi-afterburner-beta-download,36.html

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm using a i7 4790k with a RTX 2080 Super in 4K. I just installed the 2080...replacing a 980ti. I have to say my FPS have improved. In a MP mission....departing Nellis...I had been getting 15-20 FPS until I got some distance from the city. I am now getting 25 steady at Nellis and 40's once I leave that area.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I'm using a i7 4790k with a RTX 2080 Super in 4K. I just installed the 2080...replacing a 980ti. I have to say my FPS have improved. In a MP mission....departing Nellis...I had been getting 15-20 FPS until I got some distance from the city. I am now getting 25 steady at Nellis and 40's once I leave that area.

I don't know how you guy's play DCS at under the 60 fps? Especially all the way down to 25.:cry:

Wouldn't it be better to set the rez in DCS at 2560 x 1440P and up the frames to 60 for these TV screens..? Does it look crap..? It's also smoother for trackir, if using trackir and you could lock that 60 fps in (nvidia Inspector) and hold it everywhere with those cards.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I don't know how you guy's play DCS at under the 60 fps? Especially all the way down to 25.:cry:

Wouldn't it be better to set the rez in DCS at 2560 x 1440P and up the frames to 60 for these TV screens..? Does it look crap..? It's also smoother for trackir, if using trackir and you could lock that 60 fps in (nvidia Inspector) and hold it everywhere with those cards.

This is VR. If you can keep 40 FPS min (depending on the headset) then you can fly very comfortably.

I think your CPU should be good, and dont bottleneck totally, at least not with rhe right settings.

What VR-headset do you use ?

Start with checking the CPU temp and that it actually runs at 4.7ghz all the time during gaming.

What pixeldensity are you running ?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

For the Reverb I have my settings tuned for 45 fps at low level/complex areas and the frame interpolation will double the frames up to 90 perceived by your eyes. Although I have read some posts where people tune for 30/60. I might try that soon and see how it looks.

You guys aren't gonna believe how I fixed this. I actually stumbled on this by accident. I installed the Updater utility mod today so i could switch between VR and non VR, I had the non VR version set to max settings with a resolution of 2560 x 1440P. Somehow, the non VR settings loaded up on the VR version and BOOM!- nearly flawless. I turned down the MSAA down to 2x and set the SSAA to 1.5 and now it's smooth as butter. I'm assuming it must be something with the resolution. So if anyone else is having this issue, set your resolution to 2560 x 1440P (even in VR) and that may make the difference. i know it did for me!:pilotfly:

Did you use DDU to install latest Nvidea drivers ?

How about your power supply ?

Erm, don't use DDU. It's not 2005.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Erm, don't use DDU. It's not 2005.

Sometimes, it still makes a difference tho for normal updates you are right.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X