It Breathes!

Completely bare bones at the moment, but it has a pulse and is taking steady breaths.

Was just going to upgrade the RAM, Motherboard and CPU on my old rig, but that would have meant being without it a long time due to my ridiculously slow internet connection, so I decided to start afresh and leave my old rig in full working order until the last second. Just need to pull the GPU.

Currently running on internal graphics, so not much use for anything yet apart from the internet. The radiator fans have not even been spun up and the CPU temp is steady at 30 degrees! it must be gasping under the strain.

Glad I did because I have started downloading 33GB of fresh DCS World and its been grinding away for 18 hours so far with a giddy 29% as a result. Some of that time was updating windoze though.

Lots more to apps to download yet.

i9 9900K

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard.

Thermaltake 360mm cooling.

32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM.

Corsair 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD.

EVGA G3 850w modular PSU

Thermaltake View 71 case.

DSC_0044.thumb.JPG.83b611480e82d70d52ca2cf07bf86908.JPG

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Would be difficult to keep my eyes off the progress counter with such an upgrade :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

congrats!, that's an awesome Rig!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Tinkichef, with such a slow connection, why dont you copy the DCS folder from the old PC to the new one via Gbit LAN and then run a repair to make sure all is in full working order ?

You could still keep downloading the new DCS install while you could already enjoy your rig, WITH a GPU ;)

There is no technical need to do it how you do it unless you personally want it that way.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Tinkichef, with such a slow connection, why dont you copy the DCS folder from the old PC to the new one via Gbit LAN and then run a repair to make sure all is in full working order ?

You could still keep downloading the new DCS install while you could already enjoy your rig, WITH a GPU ;)

There is no technical need to do it how you do it unless you personally want it that way.

Yes a few people were kind enough to offer this advice when I was weighing up which way to go with either upgrade or new build.

In the end, due to past problems of being unable to recover the files already on my old rig after my original 2080TI blew up and I really made a mess of everything in my efforts to fix the BSoD, I decided to play it safe.

I know it would be easier to share and copy files across, but I do not have the confidence to fix it by delving into command prompts and registry changes should something go wrong.:cry:

I chickened out and decided to go the conventional way :noexpression:..... But if anyone asks, I will tell them I wanted a fresh install.:music_whistling:

I got DCS World up and running now, logged in and am now downloading some of my more used modules. I doubt I will bother with Normandy.

I will bring my ready made missions across however.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.