Why buy from ED instead of Steam?

sirrah

Sorry if my topic title is kinda clickbait-ish.. Not intended as a flame topic, but I'm just curious if I'm missing something here..

As far as I could compare, I have these options:

• Buy F-16 module on Steam for €54 (module both usable in Steam and standalone)
  • Buy F-16 module from ED website for €57 (module only usable within standalone)

Honestly I would rather expect the Steam to be more expensive than ED, as usually buying directly from the creator/supplier is cheaper than from a third party.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Steam takes 30%.

Ah ok, I didn't know that. Still doesn't really explain why buying from Steam is (slightly) cheaper

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I don't know the exact update schedule for DCS on steam, but i'd guess using the version supported directly by ED rolls out updates/content quicker than steam. As I said, not sure how often and how quick Steam updates DCS, but might also be a thing to consider.

Other than that, the above reason(s) obviously;)

buy from steam if you are unsure of the module, and you can get a refund for under 2 hours playtime on it (if you do not like it, or cannot handle the bugs)

ED do not offer refunds

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Indeed I even forgot to mention the refund part. Yet another + for Steam I suppose.

I don't know the exact update schedule for DCS on steam, but i'd guess using the version supported directly by ED rolls out updates/content quicker than steam. As I said, not sure how often and how quick Steam updates DCS, but might also be a thing to consider.

Other than that, the above reason(s) obviously;)

When I still played on Steam (switched over to standalone few months back) I never noticed any delayed updates or releases, so I don't think this is a valid point.

The other point, about supporting ED. As much as I love DCS and am thankfull that ED is providing us with all these nice products, I still see them as a company rather than a goal for charity. But each there own of course.

Edit: I'll probably get bashed due to my last statement ;)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

Indeed I even forgot to mention the refund part. Yet another + for Steam I suppose.

When I still played on Steam (switched over to standalone few months back) I never noticed any delayed updates or releases, so I don't think this is a valid point.

The other point, about supporting ED. As much as I love DCS and am thankfull that ED is providing us with all these nice products, I still see them as a company rather than a goal for charity. But each there own of course.

Edit: I'll probably get bashed due to my last statement ;)

A company you'd like to remain around for a while longer perhaps? Isn't that a good reason to cut out the middle man?

I don't think steam does refunds on DLC, only full games.

and modules are DLC.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I like Steam for managing my overall game directory, but it lacks in DCS updates. I'll gladly pay the extra pennies to get the patch sooner over a cheaper but later option.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I like Steam for managing my overall game directory, but it lacks in DCS updates. I'll gladly pay the extra pennies to get the patch sooner over a cheaper but later option.

I never noticed any delays, back when I still played on Steam. I did use the Steam OB version though, maybe those patches are better synchronized with standalone?

System specs:

I never noticed any delays, back when I still played on Steam. I did use the Steam OB version though, maybe those patches are better synchronized with standalone?

I was under the impression that patches to steam version come later, though this might not be the case anymore.

One thing to consider though is that with the new ED fidelity system eveytime you buy a module you are actually buying a discount for the next one, is that also true for steam? (I'm actually asking :), because i'm not sure of that neither)

You can link your ED account with Steam in your profile, but i dont know the details of how it works.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229207

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Is this correct? I thought it is history to buy on steam and use on SA.

Items bought on Steam can also be used (transferred) on SA.

Unfortunately ED purchases are incompatible with Steam. Hence my initial post. I really wondered why people would buy directly from ED and rule out the option to play on a second platform (no offence, just curious). It seems that for most, the main reason would be to directly donate some extra cash to ED

System specs:

There was a time when early access took a while to get to Steam.

If that's no longer true, then it would be user convenience driven. I don't like the idea of having to have Steam to play something, but I gut the lure of not having to mess with licenses all the time.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

With the bonus points i can buy moduls much cheaper direct from ED. And only there i get them for every product you buy except you buy module on sale. At least you are cheaper from ED as long as you have bonuspoints. +1 for ed

And to support steam is sensless since steam do not develpoe flightsims. +1 for Ed again ????

I only purchase items that are on sale, as it's never a long wait till the next sale anyways. But I indeed forgot about the bonus point system from ED :thumbup:

System specs: