[TRACK REQUIRED] Odd intermittent takeoff behavior

Stubbies2003

So I did a search and looked at the first few pages of the bug report and don't see this directly. I've noticed this only recently so I'd imagine it has something to do with a recent live side update.

The problem I'm seeing is using the F/A-18 and taking off from various airfields I can only guess about 1 in 20 take offs or so instead of full AB and half flaps with gear down causing the standard pitch up I've seen it where I'll get just over 200 knots and the aircraft will get airborne but it will NOT climb on it's own but instead it will try to nose down. I have to manually pitch up and get to a safe attitude before I can go gear up/flaps auto and bring it back to mil power.

My only guess to this would be related to an older post talking about ground effect with the F/A-18 as when it decides to do this of course having just taken off I am close to the ground.

Other than that oddity once I get it safely in the air then it flies normally. I don't have a track file of this as I fly MP exclusively and, as stated, it isn't common nor do I know what the difference is on any of the times it does happen versus not to actually reproduce the bug. I never saw this earlier than the latest live side patch though.

odd takeoffs is not exclusively for you

Next time use the rightCtrl+ENTER view for watching trim status when gear is up and flaps on auto.

Maybe we can record it one time on video. I fly MP too almost every time.

For me the Hornet produced **twice** scary takeoff with full bomb loadout.

The plane tried to kill me with forced climb to stall.

I needed to release gear and flaps to manually correct the TRIM!

(The odd takeoffs was not the first.)

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Like I said this happens immediately after take off when flaps are still at half, gear is still down and I'm still in full AB. I wouldn't be complaining if I was being premature on reconfiguring the aircraft and it settled because I was over enthusiastic about it.

I never have any forced climb to stall issues. Just that once in a great while I have to force it to fly as it doesn't want to. Once I get to a safe position I reconfigure for normal flight and it behaves just fine then.

Edited by Stubbies2003

I've seen similar behaviour triggered by undue use of the stick paddle switch. Ostensibly, it can be used to disengage NWS, but it has also had the effect of completely confusing the FCS, perhaps related to somehow also triggering parts of the AP disengage and G-limit override functionality (neither of which should really be active with weight on wheels).

I haven't experimented enough to find a way to reliably reproduce it, but it has always been a combination of setting TO trim, then pulling on the paddle — perhaps a bit too vigorously — to get rid of NWS, and then having to fight the elevators that almost seem frozen in an up or down position, until the FCS realises that, oh, perhaps this +30 trim isn't what it should consider the neutral position.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I've seen similar behaviour triggered by undue use of the stick paddle switch. Ostensibly, it can be used to disengage NWS, but it has also had the effect of completely confusing the FCS, perhaps related to somehow also triggering parts of the AP disengage and G-limit override functionality (neither of which should really be active with weight on wheels).

I haven't experimented enough to find a way to reliably reproduce it, but it has always been a combination of setting TO trim, then pulling on the paddle — perhaps a bit too vigorously — to get rid of NWS, and then having to fight the elevators that almost seem frozen in an up or down position, until the FCS realises that, oh, perhaps this +30 trim isn't what it should consider the neutral position.

Interesting. I use the paddle switch to disable NWS and keep centerline via rudder input but I do this literally on every take off from an airfield and it is done shortly after getting the aircraft moving yet I only see this goofy behavior once in awhile. During the section of takeoff I am talking about I am normally not giving any input what so ever other than rudder to maintain direction since she normally takes off and pitches up easily.

Yeah, it's very intermittent as you say, and it may involve more components than that to trigger the effect — hell, it might not even involve the paddle at all, and just be some other ingredient that just so happen to be going on at the same time during taxiing or line-up. It's far more a feeling that it hasn't happened when I've avoided using either of those, and that it has when I did.

It could just as well be some annoying timing issue; that the FCS is BIT:ing away silently in the background and is fed a bunch of junk data while doing so or some such. But I definitely recognise both your description and the intermittent nature of the thing.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

My odd takeoffs caused by accidental auto flaps at takeoffs with the last landings pitch trim settings. Why not trim pitch automatically in air in all circumstances at flaps auto settings? It can kill you. In this case manual trim is not working but applied the latest setting, until half flaps and back to auto:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/551106084157390874/669609225827123210/25541962_deadly_Trim_TO_edition-flaps_auto.trk

I am curious to Stubbies2003 odd takeoffs stabilators position at takeoff roll.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD