B-17 Bomber - Study Level Aircraft

Xordus

I really don't see why you would need a ten-fold multi-crew in multiplayer for it to work nicely, really. Lets face it, some of those crewmembers would have little to do for most of the flight. Quite frankly, I don't think the AI part is really all that much of a thing standing in the way of such a module. Most of those 10 crewmembers are 'just' gunners, who - contrary to those on the rear seat of a modern jet - have a fairly straight-forward job that doesn't require them to understand their pilot's current intentions so much.

As a matter of fact, since an all-AI B-17 is coming around, those pesky gunners have to be done anyway.

It's much more of an issue that the relative complexity of the systems scales a lot with the size of a WW2-era plane. Aerodynamics can get tricky for the proper planes, especially since the engines influence each other quite a bit, and so on and so on.

So I understand that pretty much all developers joining in with DCS:WW2 are starting with smaller, simpler planes for now and are probably going to graduate towards the bombers at some point.

philstyle's list seems like a nice 'next step'. And just because it isn't on there, here is one to think about: The A-26 Invader saw service late in the war (from which most of the fighters planes already released are), was a major asset in the Korean War (MiG-15 anyone?) and kept on trucking in limited service during the Vietnam War and many COIN and covert operations. Not my favourite WW2 ground-attack/bomber plane, but maybe worth a thought for its versatility.

• 4 weeks later...
Whlist a "working" multicrew B17 would be nice... I think there are a number of other period (multicrew, G.Attack) aircraft that would benefit the community more, e.g.

A-20 Havoc/ Boston

Mosquito

1943/44 vairant of the Ju88

B25 Mitchell

Beaufighter VI

In fact, simply having them included as A.I. for a start would open up so many more possibilities. . .

The Bf 110 would be interesting as well, though probably not as much as the Ju 88.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 1 year later...

The B-17 is my most loved airframe... Just cannot imagine the dream to have one in DCS..

People claim the useless aspect due to the map limitations but.. imgagine the old but marvelous game Mighty Eighth in current DCS standard..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

ED has working on a Mosquito FB module.

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

What are plans for DCS WWII after the P-47 and Me-262 have been completed?

The P-47D is far along and will be released at a completed state in Q1 2020. However, new World War II assets such as the completed A-20 and Ju-88 will be released this year. After the P-47D will come the Mosquito. We are still collecting the necessary data to correctly simulate the Me.262 and until we have enough granular detail we will not start development. In parallel with the new units, we are working on some new World War II maps that we will announce soon. Quite a lot is happening on the World Word II front.

DCS Mosquito… dream or reality?

Very much a reality! You can expect it in 2020.

Our controllers only support two engines as well ;)

There are ways around that though :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850