F-14D??

OnionSpider13

It’s the F-14 Tomcat, one of the most iconic aircraft ever made. It’s not something relatively obscure like [insert a significant percentage of currently available DCS aircraft]. I think the sales would still be pretty dang high.

I would gladly pay more money for Heatblur to continue to develop later versions of the F-14.

Would love to see the sales figures of the F-14 vs. the Viggen...

You're displaying a bit of an America-centric view here. The Tomcat is one of the most iconic aircraft for Americans perhaps, but not the rest of the world.

Russian people would likely choose a Russian aircraft, European people a European aircraft etc etc. I've no doubt that the Viggen is more popular in certain parts of the world than the Tomcat is.

And I'm struggling to think of what aircraft in DCS could be classed as obscure? Certainly not a significant percentage, most of the aircraft we have were/are iconic in their own right.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

You're displaying a bit of an America-centric view here. The Tomcat is one of the most iconic aircraft for Americans perhaps, but not the rest of the world.

Russian people would likely choose a Russian aircraft, European people a European aircraft etc etc. I've no doubt that the Viggen is more popular in certain parts of the world than the Tomcat is.

And I'm struggling to think of what aircraft in DCS could be classed as obscure? Certainly not a significant percentage, most of the aircraft we have were/are iconic in their own right.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

No its one of those aircraft that pretty well known. If not for its significance, then by part because of its place in POP culture, from films like Final countdown, and to a greatest extent TOP GUN, which would have been seen in countries outside of the USA, even if it didn't see any export outside of Iran.

Besides many nations around the world use exported US aircraft. F16's the best example. It has been used by anything from middle east to NATO European allies of the US ( 26 countries in total) , and even the Hornet had some notable export users even if not as widespread as the Falcon.

For many North america, and many European nations, the Russian aircraft are also well known. Even if you dont have a particulate interest in flying them, they are at least known because they would have been potential adversary aircraft if the Cold war went hot. In USA's case various Russian aircraft were directly fought in smaller conflicts across the globe in a post ww2 era, via export sold soviet equipment

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Lets all defend the validity of our microcosmic viewpoints on the subject...….this jet will happen if we available data can be used to sim the APG-71 and IRST- also needs to sim the AIM-54C+, since the F-14D carried them and they have their own onboard cooling vice the jets.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Hello

I will say yes, a lot of people bought Tomcat.

But unfortunately, it does not fly much.

Everyone prefers F/A 18 due to the normal HUD.

In my opinion it is a loss of money.

Why there is no version D, it would certainly be used.

Regards and I'm flying A10C, Tomcat will be unused.

Specialization A-10C

https://vbw304.pl/

I'd for one would be happy to pay another $100 for the F-14D. Just my 2c. I hope the sales of the existing module have justified the obvious immense amount of work that went into it.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Hello

I understand that someone likes airplanes from the 70s and their detail. But here is more about using online missions. Now, hardly anyone can refuel in the air. For me and my friends, this machine is a big dud.

A sparrowhawk hud won't change the flight characteristics. You will have just as much trouble refueling in a -D

I would certainly buy an F-14D if they made one, really though just for the this is what the Tomcat could be rather than a desperate need for a modern HUD. The HUD along with the other instruments provides plenty of information. Ultimately there were relatively few D models made.

As for Tomcat being iconic, my country never operated then (they were offered at a discounted rate back after the Iranian revolution but our government st the time declined) so for me if I think fighter aircraft it is a Hornet. However there are few planes as iconic as this big beast and it really is the first fourth generation fighter (and whether we get a D variant or not I am glad we have such a high quality representation of at least 1 variant with another already in the works).

Man, didn't realise so many have so much trouble with the HUD.

For real! It honestly doesn’t bother me one bit to not have a “modern” HUD. I have the analog gauges easily viewable and the HUD shows me everything I need for AA or AG engagements. And as for refueling, I find the F14 easier than the Hornet. I put the wings in bomb mode, get it trimmed out, and find it easy to connect and keep it there. The Hornet is a bit more sensitive to control inputs, I can make smaller and finer inputs with the Tomcat

Hello

Wait what!!!?? Everyone prefers the F-18 because it has a normal hud!? More like they fly the Hornet because in comparison it is easy and requires little true pilot abilities. Who really needs a hud for landing? Mine is so dusty post F-14 I would need a tractor to pull it out of the hangar. But...to each his own.

VF-31 Tomcatters

vf31-cat.jpg

http://www.csg-1.com/ | Discord

Hello

I see plenty of F-14's around and a lot of people fly that (me included) exactly for reasons like the HUD. It's cool to have different planes, and the F-14 isn't limited by the HUD in any way.

If you fly the F-14 a bunch you won't much care about the hud... I kind of like it. Feels old, but still works, and I've become less dependent on it... makes you feel like you're flying the plane not just staring at the hud the whole time.

I just want the 14D for the link16 and JDAMs

and 10/10 would pay another $20+ for the addon :)

Edited by Banzaiib

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just here to say, for the record, I'll pay the same amount of money i paid for the A/B modules... for a D cat.

And if you are feeling up for it...

Super-Hornet (Twin Seater)...

It's a Wish-Thread right? nothing wrong with givhing HB some encouragement... good job!

Or just below the hud where there is a nice big, easy to read AoA meter.

its not bad to read but youre still looking inside the pit inside of through the window.

i am getting used to it but it still frustrates me when trying to fight hornets

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

I'm just here to say, for the record, I'll pay the same amount of money i paid for the A/B modules... for a D cat.

Same here. I wouldn't even mind if it's some earlier variant with the TID if there's enough info on those.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

People come here asking and wishing for the F-14D because of a modern HUD... aren't the F-15 and F/A-18 HUD's modern enough ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB