Wings ripping off

BuzZoo

Hi guys,

Been enjoying 2.5 and have started a bit of caucasus dogfighting in the spitfire. When I get aggressive in the turn the wings snap off like they're made of glass.

I know ed said they haven't changed anything. I've just been flying other planes for a while. Are there any good rules of thumb for avoiding wing failure?

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

1. The elevator curves are not, be default, set up to provide realistic rates of control surface movement for the Spitfire, depending on your joystick. It seems that Warthog joystick users in particular need to significantly reduce the saturation on the elevator curves. I've set mine down to around 35% of the default saturation I think. This has significantly reduce the wing-breaks without reducing my ability to achieve full elevator deflection (at least to the point of stall).

2. Once you've attended to the curves, then you can better employ the gentle control input required to avoid snapping those wings off. With the defautl curves it can be very difficult to employ gentle control inputs, depending on your hardware.

At air speeds above 400mph indicated, you need to be very soft on the elevator. I find that about 1cm (~5 desgrees or so) of of control surface input is sufficient to ease out of high speed flight.

3. Try to avoid rapid reversing of the elevator at speeds above 400mph.

4. Try to aovid rapid elevator input at high speed when also rolling.

5. Throttle back in your dives once you hit 350mph. This will not only stop you going too fast, but will provide the added benefit of reducing your engine temps.

6. The 190 in particular has trouble with elevator at high speed. The spit is, conversely, very sensitive. So you can use this to your advantage. In a shallow high speed dive with a 190 on yuor 6, you can loop up and rool over the top. Above 400mph the 190 will struggle to follow this. But practice it! learn to be gentle on the elevator above 350...

hope some of this helps.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I know this is absolutely no help what so ever,,,,,,but........

I went to the Doctor one day because it hurt to lift my arm over my head.

After a examination, he wrote in his notes for a bit, and then told me,

"I know how to stop the pain!"

I asked, "how Doc?"

He said,

"If it hurts when you do that, do not do it anymore!" :D

Kind of a analogy if you may.......

What is that saying...........

"Foolish is someone who does the same thing over and over, expecting a different result, and not getting it"

Or something along those lines.......

(The voice of experienced fool now speaking!)

I lost count of the missing wings when first flying it. LOL

I sure hope they did not end up in someones roof.......:lol:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

1. The elevator curves are not, be default, set up to provide realistic rates of control surface movement for the Spitfire, depending on your joystick. It seems that Warthog joystick users in particular need to significantly reduce the saturation on the elevator curves. I've set mine down to around 35% of the default saturation I think. This has significantly reduce the wing-breaks without reducing my ability to achieve full elevator deflection (at least to the point of stall).

2. Once you've attended to the curves, then you can better employ the gentle control input required to avoid snapping those wings off. With the defautl curves it can be very difficult to employ gentle control inputs, depending on your hardware.

At air speeds above 400mph indicated, you need to be very soft on the elevator. I find that about 1cm (~5 desgrees or so) of of control surface input is sufficient to ease out of high speed flight.

3. Try to avoid rapid reversing of the elevator at speeds above 400mph.

4. Try to aovid rapid elevator input at high speed when also rolling.

5. Throttle back in your dives once you hit 350mph. This will not only stop you going too fast, but will provide the added benefit of reducing your engine temps.

6. The 190 in particular has trouble with elevator at high speed. The spit is, conversely, very sensitive. So you can use this to your advantage. In a shallow high speed dive with a 190 on yuor 6, you can loop up and rool over the top. Above 400mph the 190 will struggle to follow this. But practice it! learn to be gentle on the elevator above 350...

hope some of this helps.

Thanks mate! Very helpful as always!

hope some of this helps.

Sure you're not talking about the 109, Phil?

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Sure you're not talking about the 109, Phil?

Yes, I'm sure.

I've employed this against FW190s. Compared to the Spit, the 190 doesn't seem to be so capable about the lateral axis at high speed. And because 190 pilots in DCS need to be flying as fast as possible all the time (see how many times FW190 pilots state this), you are for more likely to end up in the situation where this can be employed rather than aganist a Bf109 driver.

The 190 still rolls very well at high airspeed though. . .

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/