Goodbye VR... for now at least.

GunSlingerAUS

Sorry that VR doesn’t seem to be for you, but I have to add that my experience is nothing like what you describe.

I love my stutter free, smooth, detailed experience of DCS in VR!

Yeah I was beginning to think I was in the minority here - absolutely loving my Rift S and getting great and very smooth experience with it with some pretty high graphics.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, I simply can not go back to 2D I tried it and I just can't fly for nuts (I fly mostly rotatory) and whilst the stunning graphics are not there in VR the spacial perception of a 3D world and the ability to look around in a 1 : 1 virtual world is the most for me what makes it.

I can live with the lower resolution and sure higher resolution would be better but man that spacial perception is a game changer.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Not ever seen dcs thru a monitor, I’m happy. May not be a stone cold A to A guns killer due to resolution but plan on joining a group that flys missions where air to air is a small portion of the big picture.

Love me the Reapers although the time zone thing may be an issue as Im an Eastern time zone US guy

Of course I need to learn to fly first ������

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Some years ago I purchased a DLP projector for gaming and entertainment. The first time I had friends over to watch a movie; one of them saw nothing but multicolored “rainbows” as he described it. It seems that everyone sees in different “frequencies”. Those of us that see at a lower frequency don’t have issues with lower refresh rates. Whereas those that see at a higher frequency do. You see stuttering where I see silky smooth gameplay. There is nothing you can do about it until the refresh rate of the game raises to at least your visual frequency.

Hate it for ya man ‘cause VR rocks.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Some years ago I purchased a DLP projector for gaming and entertainment. The first time I had friends over to watch a movie; one of them saw nothing but multicolored “rainbows” as he described it. It seems that everyone sees in different “frequencies”. Those of us that see at a lower frequency don’t have issues with lower refresh rates. Whereas those that see at a higher frequency do. You see stuttering where I see silky smooth gameplay. There is nothing you can do about it until the refresh rate of the game raises to at least your visual frequency.

The rainbow effect some people perceive with DLP projectors truly is an individual thing - it depends on individual inertia of the eye ( actually we see in waves not FPS-like frequencies ).

A DLP projector uses another technique than LCD projectors, so the rainbow effect only appears for some with DLP projectors.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

I play with a Rift S and a gtx1070 mini card. I get a fair amount of stuttering, blurring around cockpit edges and occasional full second long pauses but honestly I barely care, I'm flying inside the real plane and that is absolutely incredible. If I had to stop using VR for a while I would stop playing DCS or iRacing etc until I had VR back again.

Its quite interesting to me how this is very different for different people.

I may use VR for weeks, then switch back to the monitor for a week or two depending on which sim I am running and what type of mission I am flying. I used to split about 50/50 between VR and 2D, but the RiftS improved the quality enough to allow me to use VR more often. So now the split is somewhere between 70/30 to 80/20 in favor of VR. But the image quality on a giant 4K screen puts VR to shame and the frame rate is pretty much locked at 60 fps compared to the 40 fps normally experienced with the Rift S.

I see no reason to give up VR or 2D/TrackIR when I have both and can switch between them at will.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I may use VR for weeks, then switch back to the monitor for a week or two depending on which sim I am running and what type of mission I am flying. I used to split about 50/50 between VR and 2D, but the RiftS improved the quality enough to allow me to use VR more often. So now the split is somewhere between 70/30 to 80/20 in favor of VR. But the image quality on a giant 4K screen puts VR to shame and the frame rate is pretty much locked at 60 fps compared to the 40 fps normally experienced with the Rift S.

I see no reason to give up VR or 2D/TrackIR when I have both and can switch between them at will.

With 4KUHD TVs costing less than your typical game controller it is definitely a viable option. I flew the other viper sim on 60” and 50” 4KUHD TV’s (not at the same time) using Helios and YAME on a 27” touchscreen and thought I was in heaven..... then I tried VR... I’d say the single biggest drawback to using a monitor is having to use TrackIR after experiencing true 1:1 head movement in VR. Especially when using a big screen and a second touchscreen. You either have to put it on top of the big screen where you have limited tracking or on the lower screen where it blocks your view..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Ha, interesting you should raise this point. I'm one of those people who HATE the rainbow effect, which is why my projectors have all been LCD models. I'm guessing those of us who grew up playing games and have done so for 20+ years have visual systems that are more sensitive to ghosting and rainbows.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I'm guessing those of us who grew up playing games and have done so for 20+ years have visual systems that are more sensitive to ghosting and rainbows.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Ha, interesting you should raise this point. I'm one of those people who HATE the rainbow effect, which is why my projectors have all been LCD models. I'm guessing those of us who grew up playing games and have done so for 20+ years have visual systems that are more sensitive to ghosting and rainbows.

I only see the rainbow effect in DCS, I don't see the same effect in Il-2 so I think it must be something to do with the way DCS generates the graphics.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

I'll pile on.

After a long break from DCS and recently getting the Reverb, have been spending some time the last week learning the F/A-18.

Learning the systems has been difficult in VR so I've reverted to my 50" TV for the time being so I can refer instantly to information on a second screen or my iPad.

The contrast in immersion is extreme. While spotting ground targets has been much easier on flat screen, I don't think I could ever go back to flying actual missions once I became familiar enough with the airframe. VR makes the whole mission interesting, even when nothing is happening. 2D, I get impatient waiting for the 'action' to begin.

I'll pile on.

After a long break from DCS and recently getting the Reverb, have been spending some time the last week learning the F/A-18.

Learning the systems has been difficult in VR so I've reverted to my 50" TV for the time being so I can refer instantly to information on a second screen or my iPad.

The contrast in immersion is extreme. While spotting ground targets has been much easier on flat screen, I don't think I could ever go back to flying actual missions once I became familiar enough with the airframe. VR makes the whole mission interesting, even when nothing is happening. 2D, I get impatient waiting for the 'action' to begin.

Yeah the Hornet in the Persian Gulf is truly a thing of beauty in VR.

I have been using a customized Kneeboard in VR to go through the learning steps using mostly Chuck's Hornet Guide. Nice to be able to just keep the headset on as I learn.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'll pile on.

You have to learn, how to create new Kneeboards ,so you can use them to learn,like in a real Cockpit.

This is how I do

Edit: Ups,don't read the previous post

Same here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

Ok,i like the tutorial Videos on YouTube also, but I watch them everywhere on my Smartphone ,when I have not time to fly in my Simulator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Plugged in a TrackIR after months of VR. i could never play this game on a 2d monitor again. I'd honestly rather not fly. Being in the 3D cockpit world is a must.

The sad thing is, ED hasn't done much to help with visibility, it's been an age old issue, but I think the current cop out is 'our 2.5 engine can't be fixed so let's wait years for Vulkan'.

Case in point, I have to zoom in to see contrails that pop in and out of existence. Terrible contrast with a dark sky above a white horizon, disappearing missile trails from a distance, etc...

The problem isn't VR in the end, it's the game engine of DCS is woefully behind and the devs aren't able to fix it.

The problem isn't VR in the end, it's the game engine of DCS is woefully behind and the devs aren't able to fix it.

It’s possible that complex sims like DCS will never perform well in VR. It’s not something “wrong” with the game engine, it’s the very nature of VR. Look at VTOL VR, that’s the level of game that would actually perform well in VR and it’s way short of the complexity in DCS

People with the strongest hardware available (the OP has an i7-9700K, 32GB DDR4 and an RTX 2080 Ti !) struggle to get DCS running in constant reprojection mode. Not even able to run the headsets at their intended refresh rate.

I see myself staying away from VR for a very long time. Until resolution and performance improve greatly.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It’s possible that complex sims like DCS will never perform well in VR.

Never? As in technology will never progress past what we have today? That is a strange assertion. DCS will improve and technology will move forward and that's besides the point that many DCS VR users already believe that DCS performs well in VR today.

It’s possible that complex sims like DCS will never perform well in VR. It’s not something “wrong” with the game engine, it’s the very nature of VR. Look at VTOL VR, that’s the level of game that would actually perform well in VR and it’s way short of the complexity in DCS
It is just playing catch up with the technology, much like the relatively few electric cars we have as the manufacturers catch up, or the march Apple had with screen tech over others before tablet rivals could compete.

Something like iRacing can run a solid 90 or even 120fps in VR headsets with a full field of cars and doesn't look like some "VR game" like Superhot or VTOL.

There are a number of games that work well and look great. For me DCs runs well enough at 45fps, whereas iRacing I need to hit 90fps, different genres need different fps. You can't generalise VR titles. Personally I hate the cartoony titles being presented as VR friendly. Sure they work ok on budget PCs so have a wider market but there are a number of decent titles with VR as an option that run fine now on current mid to top end equipment.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Never? As in technology will never progress past what we have today? That is a strange assertion. DCS will improve and technology will move forward and that's besides the point that many DCS VR users already believe that DCS performs well in VR today.

Well at some point game graphics will stop improving because they’ll look entirely real. That’s already happening. So then, since 2D will be incapable of improvement, 3D will be able to catch up. Until then 2D will always outperform 3D and games designed to tax the limits of 2D will be out of reach for 3D. Any improvement in hardware or the game engine will just further push the boundary of what 2D can do and 3D will always be behind that. Until no further improvement is possible.

By the very topic of this thread, some users apparently do not believe VR performs well in DCS

It is just playing catch up with the technology

There’s no way for 3D to catch up to 2D. It’s a moving goal post. Until you get to the point where no further improvement is possible.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The tech is there but the software is not, many games run great in VR, unfortunately DCS isnt one of them. Surprising it looks half as good as it does on 1 core etc, which is really ten years old software development.

Maybe with MAC they have started afresh and we will see something better, sooner rather than later, but in the meantime i think I will also park the VR.