Night vs day carrier recovery

Evening all,

Just something I found on youtube recently, as per the title.

The difference is just unbelievable, landing the Hornet or the Tomcat at night is gonna be interesting.

Anyone know if any of the carrier jets were cleared to trap with NVGs on?

Cheers

Fend

Evening all,

Anyone know if any of the carrier jets were cleared to trap with NVGs on?

Cheers

Fend

I'm going to say with nearly 100% certainty that they don't land with NVGs. Air Force regs don't allow you to take off with NVGs and also state they must be taken off prior to final approach fix. It isn't like DCS or other video games where you see everything minus an inch off the sides of your monitor being blacked out, NVGs are basically just used as another sensor and the FOV is basically the same as looking through empty toilet paper rolls taped an inch from your eyes. Very low FOV, and then you also get zero depth perception which even though already greatly reduced at night, makes it even worse with NVGs on.

I don't remember what thread it was posted in another forum here but someone mentioned that turning off the lights on the carrier makes no sense since it is such a radar and IR significant target that it wouldn't matter to have lights on or off, so no reason for NVGs in that regard during combat operations either if that argument is made.

Basically as far as landing aircraft goes, NVGs make it even more difficult than just landing at night without NVGs.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this interesting youtube on carrier ops and how to properly do it.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals