Is Air-Air ADF possible?

I am familiar with using Air-Air TACAN to get ranging information on a wingman. Is it possible for a human controlled Hornet to broadcast an ADF signal, and for another human controlled Hornet to pick it up the way one would with a ground beacon?

I imagine it is not as it seems like something I would have found in a forum or even Google search. I also pose this question to any ADF capable aircraft in the sim. I mention the Hornet specifically because I am most familiar with it.

I am familiar with using Air-Air TACAN to get ranging information on a wingman. Is it possible for a human controlled Hornet to broadcast an ADF signal, and for another human controlled Hornet to pick it up the way one would with a ground beacon?

I imagine it is not as it seems like something I would have found in a forum or even Google search. I also pose this question to any ADF capable aircraft in the sim. I mention the Hornet specifically because I am most familiar with it.

You would have to continiously transmit on your radio, so that someone else can home in on your radio signal. As it is not possible (to the best of my knowledge) to do such a transmission in DCS, this is not really possible. Well, you could try to send a long radio message, maybe that works. The longest radio message I can think of is the check-in message, when checking in to a JTAC. Maybe that one is long enough to enable your buddy to briefly home in on your radio signal.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

yes !! in single player you can set the frequency so that when your wingman responds to your call your adf points to him. The adf can home to any radio transmission and it works. In multiplayer i have some doubts. To make someone home your plane you have to broadcast (talk on the radio) on the correct frequency.

yes !! in single player you can set the frequency so that when your wingman responds to your call your adf points to him. The adf can home to any radio transmission and it works. In multiplayer i have some doubts. To make someone home your plane you have to broadcast (talk on the radio) on the correct frequency.

Yeah, in singleplayer it is no problem, but he asked about multiplayer.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just a similar question

How do you tell how close your aircraft is to your buddies or wingman when doing formation flying?

Does the Hornet or other aircraft in dcs have this feature?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Just a similar question

How do you tell how close your aircraft is to your buddies or wingman when doing formation flying?

I am unaware of anything that would give useful distances in CLOSE formation flying, but using Air-Air TACAN with your wingman will give you the range in nautical miles ie. 1.2, 7.6, 0.4, etc. I imagine it is also easier to judge distance for real pilots as your eyes give a better sense of distance than this sim does.

Would be interesting to know if SRS is interacting with DCS in such a way that holding the SRS PTT is seen as a radio transmission by the sim. In MP at least this would make it easy to do ADF homing.

That was what I was thinking too. I am going to try that next time my brother and I fly. Would be super useful before we have our datalink integrated.

Would be interesting to know if SRS is interacting with DCS in such a way that holding the SRS PTT is seen as a radio transmission by the sim. In MP at least this would make it easy to do ADF homing.

No, it does not. SRS just detects if the button that is bound to the mic function ingame is beeing pressed, but then uses it on its on. Or in other wrods, the game is feeding information to SRS, not the other way around.

Just a similar question

You use your eyes for that. Some aircraft have the ability to use A-A TACAN, but that is only for long distances to find each other in the first place, not to meassure formation distance.

Tornado3 small.jpg

You would have to continiously transmit on your radio, so that someone else can home in on your radio signal. As it is not possible (to the best of my knowledge) to do such a transmission in DCS, this is not really possible. Well, you could try to send a long radio message, maybe that works. The longest radio message I can think of is the check-in message, when checking in to JTAC. Maybe that one is long enough to enable your buddy to briefly home in on your radio signal.

That is a good idea. Might work really well too as JTAC doesn't answer any but the first aircraft in a flight. And I wholeheartedly agree, the Tornado NEEDS to be a module one day.

The F-16 has the air to air tacan system that can display distance even in close proximity

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The F-16 has the air to air tacan system that can display distance even in close proximity

Alright, but I very much doubt that it is being used to do close formation flying. Maybe it is used to keep wide formations in adverse weather or something like that.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Alright, but I very much doubt that it is being used to do close formation flying. Maybe it is used to keep wide formations in adverse weather or something like that.
Okay QuiGon, I appreciate your efforts at clarifying this.

You use your eyes for that. Some aircraft have the ability to use A-A TACAN, but that is only for long distances to find each other in the first place, not to meassure formation distance.

TACAN beacons transmit bearing and range information. While some aircraft (e.g. tankers) can carry a beacon, most aircraft using TACAN just have the "receiver" that can pick up the bearing/range info, and this (can) work(s) from 0 to 100+ miles

I put receiver in brackets because the ranging portion of TACAN works by the 'receiving' aircraft actually transmitting to the TACAN beacon and waiting for the reply (the time taken allows range to be determined).

Two aircraft with TACAN 'receivers' can tune to a Y channel 63 different channels out in A/A mode (e.g. 29Y and 92Y) which allows the receivers to provide range information to eachother. It does not however, give bearing info. This is still useful over relatively close (~1nm) distances to ensure proper spacing in combat formations.

TACAN beacons transmit bearing and range information. While some aircraft (e.g. tankers) can carry a beacon, most aircraft using TACAN just have the "receiver" that can pick up the bearing/range info, and this (can) work(s) from 0 to 100+ miles

I put receiver in brackets because the ranging portion of TACAN works by the 'receiving' aircraft actually transmitting to the TACAN beacon and waiting for the reply (the time taken allows range to be determined).

Two aircraft with TACAN 'receivers' can tune to a Y channel 63 different channels out in A/A mode (e.g. 29Y and 92Y) which allows the receivers to provide range information to eachother. It does not however, give bearing info. This is still useful over relatively close (~1nm) distances to ensure proper spacing in combat formations.

I had the notion that this was possible though I have never tried it. They use it in the F-16 simulation.

You can use X channels as well. Example of a 4-ship tuning would be 1:1X 2:64X 3:64Y 4:1Y, that way 1 and 3 can usually just hit the TACAN button to quickly change from X to Y or vice versa to see their element distance apart. Very useful because tactical formation is generally 1-3nm apart line abreast. A/A TACANs can give readings down to .1nm, but they can be unreliable.

Just a similar question

You learn to properly “paint” which is the process of aligning certain features (wingtip Vs lead’s head .. lead’s vertical tails .. lead’s exhausts, etc.) such that you are locked into the right position relative to your lead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

It does (or did last I checked) work Ka-50 to Ka-50. Yes multiplayer, yes human-to-human. If one holds down their PTT button to continuously transmit the other can set their radio to DF to that signal. AI would have a transmission that lasted the length of their message and would deflect the needle too. It's not exceptionally useful but it's an interesting trick for rare occasions.

What the few above posts say is pretty close to my response. It’s an SA tool.

Of course it's an SA tool. All I said is, that close formation flying is done visually, while TACAN is used for greater distances.

Tornado3 small.jpg

All DME and TACAN displays i have seen have been limited to 0.1NM (185m) resolution, so using it for any distances closer than that is a bit impractical. IIRC, this corresponds with the range accuracy requirements in annex 10, but systems typically perform better than this (0.03NM / ~60m was mentioned in a R&S application note).

Of course it's an SA tool. All I said is, that close formation flying is done visually, while TACAN is used for greater distances.

Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post

Some aircraft have the ability to use A-A TACAN, but that is only for long distances to find each other in the first place, not to meassure formation distance.

Which was inaccurate...

Edited by Rainmaker

In multiplayer, I nearly always make radio 2 my ADF radio.

I'll tune it to the AWACS, and anytime another player asks for "bogey dope", I get an indication of their direction. ( wings must be level for it to be accurate)

It helps with SA a little...

Also use it to find gas.

In multiplayer, I nearly always make radio 2 my ADF radio.

I'll tune it to the AWACS, and anytime another player asks for "bogey dope", I get an indication of their direction. ( wings must be level for it to be accurate)

It helps with SA a little...

Also use it to find gas.

What aircraft are you flying when doing this? The Ka-50?

Tornado3 small.jpg