Announced Liveries Discussion

While I'm really pleased to see the new RCAF paint jobs for the Hornet, I'm a little disappointed (which is probably silly) that they don't have the serial numbers on the tail, ie 188721.

This got me thinking, does anyone know if it's possible to add dynamic tail numbers to a livery so that the number changes with the mission editor tail number? If so, can you teach me?

FYI the term we're using is meticulous, not has-way-too-much-time-on-hands.

Edited by 045
Clarification of question.

I posted about this on their Canadian Skin post on Facebook, as well hopefully ED can fix it, but for the moment I'm okay with a few inaccuracies on skins, its not a game changer so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Xenovia

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Given the skins are "fictional" I would think it would be a low priority. To be honest, a very very small priority in my books. I'm just simply elated at the reality of the skins being made in the first place.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I'm not canadian but WOW your liveries are absolutely gorgeous !

Glad you like them. I recently found out a lot of the airshow liveries are designed by our Hornet pilots. I can't really comment as I've yet to find an aircraft I DIDN'T think was gorgeous.

In regards to my original post, I'll try to be more clear. I'm not asking ED to fix it, I want to know if anyone can teach me how to do this sort of thing on DCS liveries in general. I use a lot of fictional paint jobs in my campaigns and it would be great if I could decide where the dynamic tail numbers are placed on a given aircraft. I've figured out how to change what number files they use, and obviously how to make the paint jobs in Photoshop, but for serial or tail numbers, I've had to either work with the ED placements, or paint them on in Photoshop.

Also I am totally m'kay with this post being used for Hornet hype. Hornet hype is good, m'kay?

425e Alouette, based in Bagotville, Quebec! This is quite the day for me!

I find the 150th anniversary livery a bit over the top, but a very nice addition to the DCS lineup: it will be spectacular on MP servers!

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Given the skins are "fictional" I would think it would be a low priority. To be honest, a very very small priority in my books. I'm just simply elated at the reality of the skins being made in the first place.

Well its not that fictional, they are very upgraded. I'd take the 3 color displays over the digital ifei , that oxygen generator has been giving nothing but issues as well.

While I'm really pleased to see the new RCAF paint jobs for the Hornet, I'm a little disappointed (which is probably silly) that they don't have the serial numbers on the tail, ie 188721. Does anyone know if it's possible to add dynamic tail numbers to a livery so that the number changes with the mission editor tail number?

FYI the term we're using is meticulous, not has-way-too-much-time-on-hands.

You can only cut so many NUMBER Meshes before they start to overlap each other.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

at least Canada actually uses an aircraft From the legacy Hornet Family ( now modernized equivalent to the USMC F/A18A ++) than including skins for nations that never used any Hornets :music_whistling:

so i don't think such nit picking is deserving

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Reality is not nit picking.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Reality is not nit picking.

Again read my post. Quote ironic that you choose to complain about rcaf skins ( a nation of which actually uses hornets) and not the fact that it's mentioned that Russia among other nations THAT don't have Any hornet gets hornet skins. Now that's real fiction right there.

And before you champion in your desire for n reality how about all these fictional campaigns over caucasus or having to fly aircraft from various era for non appropriate theatres. So yes it is nitpickery in your part.

Besides skinning is not done by the same people who work on avionics or weapns systems. Since external 3d model is done So don't worry this won't hamper developmental process from getting f18 out of ea faster

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Spanish skin

Finally!! We got it, thanks for the effort :thumbup: .

Now, before it goes any further (as I expect them to have numerals at some point), please take those horrible roundel thingies out and use the correct one. Available in Wikipedia… :huh: Proportions matters.

32644934_10160478283825341_5279651740461826048_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=523f4404162fb97ae559da149cc457fb&oe=5B9C6BD0

32745704_10160478283805341_7264852879565914112_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d04a4c850d66898df7668b1fa8a5f5a8&oe=5B9D3E79

Roundel_of_Spain.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_aircraft_insignia

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Roundel_of_Spain.svg

Take care with fake cockpit, not always, not all of them wear it.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Am I blind or are the roundels correct?
Yes, you're blind :D .

Spanish roundels aren't only red/yellow, they depict a certain proportion between the colours with the yellow a bit bigger than red, making the red spot in the centre look somewhat smaller, and that proportions fits the Spanish flag ones which aren't just three equal horizontal bands. Whenever those are wrong they stand out like a spot in your nose in all their wrongness, but I can understand people not knowing them can overview that, though it's so obvious when you know them. Well, that or just look at any photograph of the subject. I mean, it's so obvious they aren't the same roundels as British or French ones for instance.

ed8d41b68d3a5e1f486ace48fdcbed3f.jpg

SpanishF18ProbeExtended.jpg

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice