Tips on Torque Rolls

Doc3908

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to fly torque rolls with the CE2? I've read the manual and tried to follow what they are saying, but no matter what I do, I keep falling off to the side when the aircraft slows down sufficiently. Best I've done was probably a 180deg. torque roll before I fell off sideways.

Thanks!

Doc

What kind of inputs are you using? Aileron, rudder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pull up 90deg into the vertical watching the mechanical sight thingy on the left wing, trying to keep it on the horizon. Then I give a bit of left aileron and use rudder pedals and elevator to try and keep the plane pointing straight up. Invariably, it falls off within a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn... Very frustrating. I have no problem with ANY other aerobatic maneuver, but torque rolls are beyond me no matter how many times I try...

The real airplane can’t make it around that much either. Try using more aileron if you want more roll. (I know its kind of cheating but it makes the maneuver look a lot better.). As for the falling off part, just keep working at it. You have to be perfectly vertical to get the nose to “flop” forward. Do this by constantly working that rudder and keeping the sighting device’s 90 line glued to the horizon. The IO-360 motor doesn’t have that much torque to begin with so don’t expect it to do multiple rolls like an Extra or hopped up Pitts would be able to do.

The real airplane can’t make it around that much either. Try using more aileron if you want more roll. (I know its kind of cheating but it makes the maneuver look a lot better.). As for the falling off part, just keep working at it. You have to be perfectly vertical to get the nose to “flop” forward. Do this by constantly working that rudder and keeping the sighting device’s 90 line glued to the horizon. The IO-360 motor doesn’t have that much torque to begin with so don’t expect it to do multiple rolls like an Extra or hopped up Pitts would be able to do.

They just tweaked the FM on the CE2. I'm holding off for now because the lighting is screwed up in the new OB update, but I'm really curious what's been done in terms of FM... Thanks for your help and encouragement, GucciJetDRVR!

Doc

So I tested it out after the update and there are a few things that need tweaking, especially the torque rolls and I’ve bought this to their attention. But there a few things that have been fixed like engine torque effects during normal flight so we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk