The F-14A is HUGE!

Bearfoot

At the Kalamazoo AirZoo, where they have an F-14A on display.

http://imgur.com/a/EUGft

qmw77WZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qmw77WZ.jpg

GZ15XG2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GZ15XG2.jpg

Three things struck me: (1) it is a beaut; (2) love the wing curves up and then then down from the body when viewed head-on, like a gull or hawk in flight; (3) this is a very, very, very, very, very large aircraft. Totally massive.

Also, that "tunnel" (the space between the engines on the underbelly) is truly cavernous!

QLVORDe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QLVORDe.jpg

• Like 2

At the Kalamazoo AirZoo, where they have an F-14A on display.

Three things struck me: (1) it is a beaut; (2) love the wing curves up and then then down from the body when viewed head-on, like a gull or hawk in flight; (3) this is a very, very, very, very, very large aircraft. Totally massive.

Also, that "tunnel" (the space between the engines on the underbelly) is truly cavernous!

Nailed it! :thumbup: Yep she is pretty good looking for sure.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ahhhh...84's.....the only Bones i'll accept! :thumbup:

Can't wait for the modders to give us this lovely high viz scheme :cry: (tears of joy BTW):P

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I was on the Carl Vinson in the early 90s. The entire ship would shutter (100,000ton displacement mind you) when they would launch those TomCats off. Good times! Thanks for the pics.

Oh, and I remember a medical emergency being called out while underway because some dude poked his eye out running in the hanger bay and got the horizontal stabilizer in the eye from one of those birds. (OUCH!).

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was on the Carl Vinson in the early 90s. The entire ship would shutter (100,000ton displacement mind you) when they would launch those TomCats off. Good times! Thanks for the pics.

Oh, and I remember a medical emergency being called out while underway because some dude poked his eye out running in the hanger bay and got the horizontal stabilizer in the eye from one of those birds. (OUCH!).

OW is right!!

Man, anything about the eyes makes me cringe.... eww

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

I remember the first active modern fighter I saw up front a few years back, an F-15C. I just bought the F-15C module as my first module and I was completely shocked at the size of the beast. The Tomcat is even more humongous and more beautiful.

Can't wait to see this thing in person. Seeing these photos has convinced me to head up to Portage this weekend. Thanks!

It's worth it! Apart from the F-14, they have an F-18, an A-7, a B-25, and a Blackbird.

They also have full motion 6DOF 3D simulators for WW2 action. OK, not DCS level simulators --- very arcady. But that 6DOF full motion is something to experience nonetheless. When you are inverted or even 90 degrees, it is surprisingly difficult to think about things!

And make sure you visit the east campus --- they have a Mig-21, Mig-15, F-86, F-4 etc., plus a couple of F-16 sim cockpits. They also have a Wildcat and a SBD salvaged from Lake Michigan that are being restored, and the people working on them are very nice and at least the one gentleman I met was kind enough to take the time to chat to me in detail about the work.

The one I really want to visit is the WPAFB museum!

The one I really want to visit is the WPAFB museum!

Been there once passing through Dayton. Unfortunately, I only had two hours passing through the museum as I was crunched on time. I'll be heading back this summer, as well as stopping in for the Dayton Airshow. I also plan to fly out to EAA AirVenture with a buddy of mine in his Stearman this year as well. Going to be a good summer!