initial splash screen

this is a little "niggle" that has bugged me for a while but i never took the energy to bring up...

the splash screen that appears when you run DCS seems to take a long time to appear - makes me wonder if i actually made a good double-click, if i actually ran DCS.. so sometimes i'll click it a second time, only to get the window that pops up that says only one instance is allowed

idunno - is there any way to make it come up quicker??

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Have you added DCS to your antivirus / security allowed list?

sometimes it can make a difference

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

For me it's 21 seconds running off an SSD.

I have 3 SSDs - C:drive is for Windows and programs, one is for recording and general stuff and the 3rd is for games.

EDIT: WoW, done it a few more times and-

1] right click and start with admin is 21 seconds

2] double click and right click normal open took an average of 26 seconds.

3] start with admin - 27 seconds.

So it's quite a long wait.

Specs

Wind 10 pro 64bit

i7 4820K @ 3.70GHz

24 gigs RAM

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• ED Team

Bare in mind the more modules you have the longer it will take to load

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Big Newy,

Is that because the (module name)_protect.exe(starforce) has to run for each module when you start the DCS application?

Thank you,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

that probably explains a lot...

: /

also.. i'll have a random starforce failure every once in a while with a random module - for example just today it was the p-51, but recently i've seen one of my german prop planes pop up, the f-86, etc from time to time...

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

also.. i'll have a random starforce failure every once in a while with a random module - for example just today it was the p-51, but recently i've seen one of my german prop planes pop up, the f-86, etc from time to time...

Do you type anything on the keyboard while DCS starts? I've had the "module XYZ requires an activation" dialog pop up numerous times when I typed something during DCS startup. Cancelling the dialog didn't cause any problems, I just had to start DCS again in order to be able to use that particular module.

In short: Don't type anything on the keyboard while DCS starts.

Hmm only about 2-4 seconds to load to main menu here. Not many modules thou...

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's off course both understandable and acceptable. However, if possible, the code should be changed so that the very first thing that happens when you run the executable, it shows the splash screen, and then continues to load the modules...

This would remove the confusion about whether you double click "connected" or not :huh:

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

That's off course both understandable and acceptable. However, if possible, the code should be changed so that the very first thing that happens when you run the executable, it shows the splash screen, and then continues to load the modules...

This would remove the confusion about whether you double click "connected" or not :huh:

Exactly what I was thinking:thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Same thing here, it takes probably around 20 seconds for the splash screen to appear. The actual loading on the splash screen is only around 2 or 3 seconds.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• ED Team
Big Newy,

Is that because the (module name)_protect.exe(starforce) has to run for each module when you start the DCS application?

Thank you,

Monnie

that probably explains a lot...

: /

Yes it checks starforce at the start

I understand what you mean,

I think it is this way for a practical reason, as testers we get tester keys with a limited life span and at the start those starforce keys give us a warning that has to be clicked to continue, I am guessing this effects how and when we see the splash screen.

Do you type anything on the keyboard while DCS starts? I've had the "module XYZ requires an activation" dialog pop up numerous times when I typed something during DCS startup. Cancelling the dialog didn't cause any problems, I just had to start DCS again in order to be able to use that particular module.

In short: Don't type anything on the keyboard while DCS starts.

hmm.. alright --- i'll be aware of that in the future

thx

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YES!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]