Combined Arms Tournament. Please, vote...

Alpenwolf

Combined Arms Tournament. Please, vote...  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Combined Arms Tournament. Please, vote...

• Combined Arms only
    • Combined Arms & Helicopters
    • Both ideas are good. We could do one at a time
    • Bad tournament idea. Please, no

Would you guys be interested in a CA Tournament?

Say 20 players on each side and each player drives a tank or an APC of his choise. They fight until one coalition is completely destroyed. Or maybe each coalition needs to protect some vital structures and losing these results in losing the battle.

No AI ground units.

Maybe Combined Arms (APC's only) and helicopters (Mi-8's and UH-1's only) altogether? And if the ground units are human driven then that gives the Hips and the Huey's the chance to score some kills and actually survive the gunshots. Unlike sniper AI ground units, where they always seem to land some hits.

If enough people vote for the type of tournament they want to have, I'll design one. Otherwise, pretend this never happened smilewink.gif

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Just to be clear, this is not replacing the regular helicopters tournaments, even if the voting should determine to have CA and helicopters altogether.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Please bear in mind that helicopters can be limited for operational envelope - weapon choices, deployment, etc.

I have some doubts a 100% player driven BMP destruction derby would be serious fun with DCS. But as an occasional/experimental event it'd be the bee's knees. You have to iterate and adapt the idea.

Eventually player controlled ground forces could be combined to the regular heli tournament.

Brilliant idea. Helicopters where conceived to support ground troops. There's no other way.

Helos + CA all the way

Was having a bit of the same train of thought after HT4. Helo vs helo is a bit artificial - though it's a fine and fun tournament format, of course.

Anyway, you're probably the best person to make this work, please do it!

:thumbsup: :pilotfly:

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I think there's a lot of ways this could be good. Maybe for the first test, have an objective that both sides are trying to capture, like a factory in one of the caucuses city, and on both sides have stockpiled multiple armored vics so that when a CA player dies they have to grab a new one and drive it into the AO (avoid having CA players in for a couple minutes then sitting out the rest of the round, plus I don't think we will actually find that many CA players.) Oh, and make it so that you can't control vics through the F10, each one needs to be player controlled. I can't remember if this can be enforced in the editor but hopefully yes.

And for the first trial run maybe stick to thinner skinned vehicles that pack a punch like the TOW HMMV but avoid tanks, since rocket armed helis have a really hard time taking out a tank.

Maybe some light ground support aircraft could be also be included, like SU25 (unguided weapons only), L39, CC101? Anything where they're trying to drop unguided weapons.

I think doing this in an urban area would be hilarious.

A total of 20 users have voted as of now. That's like a whole coalition. We still need more voters (numbers) to make sure we'll get enough participants.

We've got time though...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I Thinks is brilliant. The main role of Helicopters is to support ground trrops. It gives the mission a tactical depth that the current Tournament does not have.

No doubt. Which is why I called it a helicopters "tournament". Not really simulating anything in particular. More like testing skills and creating scenarios that can only exist in the virtual world.

The tournament with CA and helicopters (looks like it from the vote so far) might become something with a touch of realism to it. The first round will be a test for me as a mission designer and of course for all participants as pilots and ground forces coordinating attacks. So no expectations whatsoever. Let it happen first and we'll see how it plays out.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I like how you put forward those ideas, just having some slight issues with some of the ideas themselves.

so that when a CA player dies they have to grab a new one and drive it into the AO (avoid having CA players in for a couple minutes then sitting out the rest of the round, plus I don't think we will actually find that many CA players.)

Probably not, if they have to drive it all the way to AO. (How well can they just hide? Because mostly they'd do just that.) It's already a pain to fly helicopters to the AO, and these guys are much slower... (HT missions have been designed with the sole focus of helicopters so much less an issue than normally.)

Things like these are what I meant with the mission requiring iterations. Also in the Helicopter Tournament you could see some issues which were ironed out over the couple of rounds before it started really clicking. And that was without all the issues and deficiencies that CA has in DCS, making most players shun it. (Still I think it would have tons of potential...)

Maybe some light ground support aircraft could be also be included, like SU25 (unguided weapons only), L39, CC101? Anything where they're trying to drop unguided weapons.

L39 could work. SU25 I think too powerful, CC101 - maybe not yet ready for prime time? L39 may be too powerful against the weaker helicopters.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

The tournament will take place next week or the one after that. Probably on Sunday.

Still working on final details.

Stay tuned for the sign up.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

No doubt. Which is why I called it a helicopters "tournament". Not really simulating anything in particular. More like testing skills and creating scenarios that can only exist in the virtual world.

The tournament with CA and helicopters (looks like it from the vote so far) might become something with a touch of realism to it. The first round will be a test for me as a mission designer and of course for all participants as pilots and ground forces coordinating attacks. So no expectations whatsoever. Let it happen first and we'll see how it plays out.

Compleatelly agree!

Lets let it play and see what happens!

I believe its gonna be fun, spectacular and a whole new concept of playing DCS.