RIAT 2018

Coxy_99

How was it this year and did the f35 put on a full disply?

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

Here's a video from the cockpit of the Hornet that won the Sir Douglas Bader Trophy for best individual solo display:

A very well deserved award. Captain Mäkisen made the F-18 do things that I never knew it was capable of doing. He also put on an absolutely point-perfect display which was obvious from the cockpit video. He must have a lot of hours in the F/A-18 to be that good with it. Absolutely outstanding.

Have to say I was disappointed by the F-35 demo. Other than a few seconds of high-alpha stuff I didn't see anything beyond what an F-16C could do 20 years ago. It was also really loud, but I eventually realised why: by comparison with other types the pilot spent a hell of a lot of time in AB, which made me concerned about what sort of T:W it really has.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Have to say I was disappointed by the F-35 demo. Other than a few seconds of high-alpha stuff I didn't see anything beyond what an F-16C could do 20 years ago. It was also really loud, but I eventually realised why: by comparison with other types the pilot spent a hell of a lot of time in AB, which made me concerned about what sort of T:W it really has.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/feature/5/184921/f_35-paris-flight-demo%3A-much-ado-about-nothing.html

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

Interesting link, and not surprising. I've viewed a couple of videos that various people took of the RIAT '18 show, taken from different places from where I was, and the more I look at it the less impressive it seems. I can't imagine that the pilot was holding back for any reason, why would he since RIAT is actually a sales show, and given that assumption I'd say that the F-35 showed:

1) A surprising amount of tailplane waggle. Makes me wonder if it suffers from pitch instability.

2) An unimpressive roll rate.

3) Didn't measure it, but <20 degrees/second turn rate seems reasonable.

4) High AOA performance that's maybe on par with the F/A-18, inferior to the F-22 and nowhere even close to something like the Su-35 or Su-57.

I'm sure that the sensor suite is cutting edge and doubtless it'll be able to use the AIM-9X and AIM-120D7 but the BVR performance had better be world beating because if the RIAT '18 & Paris '17 displays were representative then this thing is going to suck hard at WVR :(

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

by comparison with other types the pilot spent a hell of a lot of time in AB, which made me concerned about what sort of T:W it really has.
It has nearly the same fuel fraction of the Su-35 and around the same T/W at 50% as the Su-35, but the Su-35 can't be wronged, i forgot.

High AOA performance that's maybe on par with the F/A-18, inferior to the F-22 and nowhere even close to something like the Su-35 or Su-57.

TVC aircraft having better AoA control at low speed than non TVC aircraft?? You don't say...

And is that really a bad thing? The F-18 is considered a great WVR fighter. There's plenty videos out there of Super Hornets and even pictures of legacy hornet having F-22's in the gun sights.

1) A surprising amount of tailplane waggle. Makes me wonder if it suffers from pitch instability.

2) An unimpressive roll rate.

Come on, showing your ignorance here. It doesn't suffer from pitch instability, it's designed with pitch instability on purpose. Stability and maneuverability are inversely related. This is why the stabs are moving so much, they are providing artificial stability to the pilot.

Roll rate was not really on display. Looks like it rolls plenty fast to me even still.

Come on, showing your ignorance here. It doesn't suffer from pitch instability, it's designed with pitch instability on purpose. Stability and maneuverability are inversely related. This is why the stabs are moving so much, they are providing artificial stability to the pilot.

Roll rate was not really on display. Looks like it rolls plenty fast to me even still.

Well obviously it's designed with inherent pitch instability. Show me a >= gen 4 fighter that isn't. The point is that the flight control computer applies control laws to the inherent pitch instability in order to make it flyable by a human pilot and to give it carefree handing. My point is that I question the extent to which the control software is able to do so whilst still providing decent WVR performance.

Contrast the F-35 demo at RIAT this year with the extremely impressive show that the F-22 put on at the Yuma airshow this year (example video here:

) the F-22 exhibits significantly less tialeron waggle than the F-35 does, though I'll concede that TVC probably helps the F-22 in this regard.

I'd be more than willing to believe that the F-22 would be nearly instant doom for whatever flies against it, BVR or WVR. The F-35 as it currently demonstrates, not so much.