Thrustmaster Cougar FOXY Profile

Dying breed here, but I am still using the Thrustmaster Cougar for at least another year. Anyway, has anyone created a profile for this for FOXY only? Or at least have a description of buttons and associated commands that I can copy and paste into FOXY? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Thats a great start in deed! Thank you sir

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

... has anyone created a profile for this for FOXY only?

I've made one for the TM Cougar ... its a first version, so feel free to improve on it and adjust the bindings to your specific needs:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26g59JemEIHC_xjFasCg

Here is what it looks like:

qUn7cMH.jpg

The speed brake extension looks kind of funny, as its actually made of several consecutive keypresses, as the F/A-18 doesnt have a key command to fully open it on a single key :)

Edit: The image doesnt fully reflect the Profile, as I've been improving the profile while I learn to fly the F-18, and I havent had time to keep the graphics updated.

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Same here, I am currently keeping with my Cougar Hotas, I was trying to create my own profile. Seems I am not so talented at using Foxy. I am going to try yours @Rudel, thanks for your effort. If you do update please post. Thank you,

Yes, many thanks for sharing

... I am going to try yours @Rudel, thanks for your effort. If you do update please post.

Hello,

I've just updated the profile .. nothing major, but took care to update the readme and the diagram to better reflect what the buttons do. The link is the same as on my previous post, but you do have to download it again:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26g59JemEIHC_xjFasCg

Cheers :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thank you Rudel

I started re configuring my Foxy Files last night, thats as far as I got sorry to say

Has anyone been able to get functionality of the micro mouse to work, or any of the turn knob/wheels in DCS?

The axis of my Cougar's Microjoystick are not smooth enough to use them on DCS directly as axis inputs ... instead I use Foxy to turn these Axis into sort of "digital" inputs, using this sentence:

Rem -------------------------------------

Rem Microjoystick: Radar Designator

Rem -------------------------------------

MIY 5 3 (0 40 60 100)(/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Down ) ^ (/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Up )

MIX 5 3 (0 40 60 100)(/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Left ) ^ (/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Right )

The type "5" axis allows me to divide the axis travel on "3" zones: From 0 to 40%, then from 40 to 60% and then from 60-100% ... when the axis is on the first zone the joystick outputs a TDC_Down keystroke (or TDC_Left for the other axis), when on the second zone it outputs nothing (this is the central position of the axis), and on the third zone it outputs a TDC_Up or TDC_Right keystroke.

This way the Microstick is much easier to control, behaving almost like a Hat.

Edited by Rudel_chw

I started re configuring my Foxy Files last night, thats as far as I got sorry to say

While I find Foxy much easier to learn than Warthog's Target scripting, it can still be a bit difficult.

On my case, I'm having trouble programming the paddle switch (S4) .. I'd like to use it as wheelbrakes (as I dont own rudder pedals) but cant get to do that without losing the ability to use it as the F-18's paddle.

However, I was able to get S3 switch to work as the real F-18 Undesignate/NWS switch if given a short press, while also using it as Cougar's shift button if pressed longer than half a second .. the programming was like this:

Rem ################################################

Rem Use S3 pressed less than half a second, to toggle NWS or Undesignate

Rem otherwise works as Shift Button

Rem ################################################

BTN S3KD(X40)DLY(500)KU(X40)

DEF X41 X40 NOT S3

BTN X41 Undesignate/Nose_Wheel_Steer_Switch

This complicated looking instructions work like this: when I press S3 it will turn on the X40 flag and after 500 miliseconds it will turn X40 off.

Then this other flag X41, will be on only if X40 is ON and S3 has been released .. so, if S3 is held longer than 500 milisecs this will not be true and the command Undesignate/NSW will not be generated.

Anyway, I'm still improving my profile as I gain more flight hours with the Hornet .. when it gets more polished, I will put it on the Files section of this Site :)

Best regards.

I need a little help with the flaps. I am using the DogFighting switch T7 & T8, which has the common center position. It works perfectly fine for all 3 positions, as long as you are slow about it. If I switch from Auto to Full real quick, it wont go to the end position because there is some sort of timing issue thats creating this issue? I can goto T8 to center and all is well then center to T7, all is well,,, but if I dont pause through them for a second, it does not cycle all the way though? Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks

BTN T7 /I

/O /P FLAP_Switch-FULL /R FLAP_Switch-HALF

BTN T8 /I

/O /P FLAP_Switch-AUTO /R FLAP_Switch-HALF

but if I dont pause through them for a second, it does not cycle all the way though? Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks

BTN T7 /I

BTN T8 /I

The Cougar basically works like a keyboard, and it is perfectly possible for it to generate keypresses so quickly that DCS may miss some because its busy with its own calculations.

To fix, make use of the delay statement: DLY(delay in milliseconds)

... for example, try this:

BTN T7 /I

/O /P FLAP_Switch-FULL /R DLY(60) FLAP_Switch-HALF

BTN T8 /I

/O /P FLAP_Switch-AUTO /R DLY(60) FLAP_Switch-HALF

Keep Foxy and DCS open at the same time, Alt-Tabing between them, so you can edit the profile and then press F12 to download it to the Cougar and try it out immediately on the Sim.

On my script, I elected to dedicate a single button to the Flaps, using the toggle (/T) statement, like this:

BTN T9 /I Landing_Gear_Control_Handle-UP/DOWN

/O /T FLAP_Switch-HALF

/T FLAP_Switch-FULL

/T FLAP_Switch-AUTO

Best regards

Thank you sir, that sounds like it will surely do the trick. I will give it a shot later. I used your profile as my building block and did see that you Toggled for this purpose, I just wanted a different approach,, but thanks sir!

NOPE,,, that did not work. Switch works fine if I phyically pause between positions, but if I switch from T8 to T7, it cycles just fine, but then it switches to the center position all by itself. I dont think I have the correct modifiers set? I think I should be using the /U, /M, /D, but I dont yet know how to work the middle position of the switch yet? T8 would be /U, T7 would be /D but how would I setup /M ? I will look through some old profiles libraries and hope I see the light.

Edited by Fakum

NOPE,,, that did not work. Switch works fine if I phyically pause between positions, but if I switch from T8 to T7, it cycles just fine, but then it switches to the center position all by itself.

You mean that the dogfight (T7-T8 ) switch physically centers itself? .. it seems that moving the switch straight from T7 to T8 has worn the only three-position switch of your Cougar :(

This switch is special as it's normally used as a Modifier switch for every other button & hat of the cougar, tough I must admit that my memory is fragile so I rarely use this ability of T7-T8; opting instead to use it as a three position switch ..

... on the F-18 I'd love to use it as a speedbrake switch, but while ED put a command to fully close the airbrake, the command "Speed Brake Switch Extend" doesnt fully extend the airbrake (it opens just a little) making it impossible to control the airbrake with the Cougar's dogfight switch :(

I dont think I have the correct modifiers set? I think I should be using the /U, /M, /D, but I dont yet know how to work the middle position of the switch yet? T8 would be /U, T7 would be /D but how would I setup /M ? I will look through some old profiles libraries and hope I see the light.

This comes from Foxy's manual:

"One question I often get asked is how to program the dogfight switch’s middle position directly. After all we know that BTN T7 is equivalent to the /Uposition and that BTN T8 is equivalent to the /D position, but how do you program the middle /M position? Well we do so by cheating …. and why not! We use the /P (press) and /R (release) slash modifiers because:

BTN T7 /P is equivalent to /U –the Dogfight switch up position

BTN T7 /R and T8 /R are equivalent to /M– the Dogfight switch middle position

BTN T8/P is equivalent to /D– the Dogfight switch down position

So this would do the trick:

BTN T7 /P u p Rem Dogfight switch /U

/R m i d d l e Rem Dogfightswitch /M

BTN T8 /P d o w n Rem Dogfight switch /D

/R m i d d l e Rem Dogfightswitch /M

"

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

Switch is physically fine, it works as long as I pause. Its all in the timing it seems? Your recommended resolve appears to be what I already have implemented? unless Im missing something? here is what I have. It may be a little different, but it appears to be the same?

BTN T7 /I

BTN T8 /I

OK, I tried your programming on my Cougar and it behaves the same as yours ... if I go straight from T7 to T8 it wont produce the Flaps_Auto command and the (plane's) switch goes only until the middle position.

I tried the Delay function, as in the past it has helped me with this kind of issues, but on this case it didnt help, sorry.

Here is a video where I'm trying out your programming ... for the most part it works OK, only when I go really fast from T7 to T8 does this happen :(

qgL0FjwC2b8

At the end of the video I'm going straight from T7 to T8 but the aircraft's switch refuses to go fully UP :(

Anyway, it seems like a minor inconvenience as for the most part it works just fine if you switch at a normal pace ... probably its best for the durability of the switch :)

Best regards,

Yeah,, I agree. The only real problem I have to contend with is when I go into the Break and I simply want to switch from AUTO to FULL flaps. there is simply to many things to do in a short time and my brain simply want to switch to full flaps in the break then move quickly onto the other things. If I have to make the flaps switch into a 2 part mental process, it really hinders everything it seems when you have to simply stop and pause for that quick moment. I will have to give this some more thought. Thanks for helping me out.