MiG-21 used to be my favorite ride... can't stand it now

streakeagle

The ASP is a complete mess ? For Air-Air ? It seemed very accurate for rocket delivery last time I used it (1 week).

Then take a look at the Manual (the real one) and try to do anything described in there with the ASP. Air-Air missiles do not really use the ASP at all, if you do not activate the arcade mode for IR, so I do not understand what can be accurate with that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooooooo wee that's one scratched, cracked and dirty canopy...

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Thats an aerobatic Yak-52 on the airport at Bolshoye-Gryzlovo (FINAM aerodrome). Have actually seen them flying there. BTT this is not really comparable to a combat airplane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And is this a military aircraft where the pilot's life or death depends on being able to spot tiny dots in the sky? No it's not, so I don't see how it's in any way relevant. And even in this aerobatic aircraft I don't see any of the sandpaper effect that plagues the Mig-21 in DCS.

I would expect this kind of immature response from a random forum member, but not from a dev. It immediately turns me off from purchasing or recommending the purchase of any future products from this developer, to be honest.

ooooooooo its not a Mig21...so your point is?

but i understand that at this point the the "conversation" its very hard to jump over ones own shadow and just make an alternativ livery for the cockpit, like for different languages. So the consumer has a choice.

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Well.. then.. even if you ignore realism etc.. and take it from the standpoint of it being a game... there surely has to be some sort of standard?

No one is saying it should be crystal clear.. but compare it to the other aircraft (some of which are also "dirty").. and you can clearly see the issue people are having with it (both in reflections and visibility).

Then a dev actually throws in a super immature comment.... so professional.

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Putting aside endless debates on where the MiG-21bis currently is and where it is heading...

I have low confidence that Magnitude 3 LLC will release any more products. Economics say that they can't be surviving on profits from a module that has already been out for years. They don't appear to have any new products imminently ready to release to generate more revenue. They appear to be in VEAO's position: lots of good intentions and future plans, but always way behind schedule, short of funding, and unable to properly finish the one old, somewhat buggy product that will never generate the funds they need to really move forward.

If Magnitude 3 LLC suddenly released a new airplane, one of my all-time favorites, the F-4U-1 Corsair, I wouldn't consider buying it until user feedback convinced me it wasn't another MiG-21 or Hawk. At least they haven't announced a new module as being two weeks away from being released, collected money for it, and still haven't delivered even a beta release years later like the longstanding P-40F.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The attitude of some the magnitude 3 devs are not great. Cherry picking a video showing the one thing they seem hell bent on proving to us is 'realistic' is just pretty dumb, let's face it. Childish even. WTF. Either way, here's a video showing a real mig21 with a clean canopy. They don't all look like they stood as gate guards for 30 years.

The attitude of some the magnitude 3 devs are not great. Cherry picking a video showing the one thing they seem hell bent on proving to us is 'realistic' is just pretty dumb, let's face it. Childish even. WTF. Either way, here's a video showing a real mig21 with a clean canopy. They don't all look like they stood as gate guards for 30 years.

+1 , dev should not be like that.

people payed money for product... :music_whistling:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why don't you download the clean windshield mod and quit whining like girls

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What you got against girls? Should women not play DCS?

Would like to see:

Panavia Tornado

Panther AS565

English Electric Lightning.

Make it work in mp ;)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Based on the description and screenshot of the mod on the download page, my main gripe, the dark messy sealant is only reduced. As I fly around in the latest 2.5 release in VR, most of the "grime" is hidden by the low resolution of the Oculus Rift... but that butt ugly goop around the mirror ruins the view. It didn't look like that when I first started flying the MiG-21bis in DCS World. If you bought a car and took it back to the shop to fix some problems, you wouldn't be happy if someone smeared goop all over the windshield, especially if it was baked on and you couldn't simply wash it off with a hose or even scrape it off with a razor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because I shouldn't have to mod my game to make it correct. Why are you in this thread anyway, nothing here impacts you as far as I can see.

Putting aside endless debates on where the MiG-21bis currently is and where it is heading...

Attitude aside, you are far from any truth regarding our financials.

The attitude ....

Look at those reflections! Oh, it must be the camera angle (

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

One product, years old, in a very small niche market. Three iterations of company/staff organization. The one product generating revenue has been slow to be updated, progressively got worse with updates until very recently. That is a sure-fire formula for a successful flight sim add-on developer. The profits must be rolling in. Unless DCS World and the MiG-21 have had some kind of 2nd coming in sales resurgence, there can be no profitability in having to continue to redo 3d models and textures while also still debugging/refining systems and flight modeling on a product whose sales should have peaked years ago. Any labor spent on an unreleased aircraft is pure losses, too. So I may not know the "truth" of your financials, but I have been in this hobby long enough to know that flight sim developers come and go pretty quickly unless they rapidly establish an array of popular products and continue to expand their catalog annually with equal or better products. A2A Simulations appears to be the gold standard. Razbam appears to have done fairly well, too. Where does Magnitude 3 LLC fit is such a market?

The work required to model an aircraft as complex as the MiG-21 is staggering. I am amazed any third party can bring anything more complex than a WW2 fighter to the market and break even on their investment, much less actually make a profit.

The fact that the MiG-21bis even exists in DCS World is a blessing considering by far the majority of the already very small crowd screams for F-14, F-16, F-22, F-35, Typhoon, etc. So, I am far from ungrateful. But the MiG-21bis has had a stormy history from the start. The gunsight never worked very well, the radar has had some very bad iterations, the nosewheel steering has even been a problem. The flight model has been all over the place. The last thing the MiG-21 needs is a canopy with crap smeared all over it. Watch that video with the reflections. Look at the mirror. Do you see an inch of sealer slopped on around the edge? Do you see smudges or grime on any of the canopy at all? As for the reflections, as distinct as they appear in the video, I can see right though them to the terrain, which has not been the case in many flight sims where the reflections tend to limit transparency. Perfectly transparent glass with no reflections, scratches, dirt, etc. does not look right, but neither does the other extreme. Find the happy medium instead of insulting customers for calling out an unecessary deviation focused more on artfully depicting a well-worn gate guard than a fighting machine that is going to face F-15s and Mirage 2000s.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not in a long time but it was a pain, specially if you did not mix it properly and it dried to quick or to slow.

Ok, we have a little pneumatic automaton that mix it for 1 min or so. We have between 1h30 to 2h (depending on the temperature) to apply it before it's getting too dry.

You dried them with an infrared dryer ? We just let it polymerize naturally (except if the aircraft need to be available very fast, then we use a ''Sunkiss'').

@rudel... you know trolling your customers is a very bad idea...

people bought the module bevor all those anyoing additional effects like reflections where implemented and they voice thier concern and all you do is insult/laught at them for paying you money...

maybe you dont understand that people actualy like play the game instead of treating it like a piece of art, only to be looked at, in the way his creator intended.

i looked at the Steam page and the pictures shows the cockpit in a very favorible angles so you cant see those reflections and shit. So how about updating the pictures with the real deal you seem to be so proud of that you refuse to accknowladge an issue that many people have.

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

maybe you dont understand that people actualy like play the game instead of treating it like a piece of art, only to be looked at, in the way his creator intended.

Well, meaybe it is meant to be used as a piece of art. The FM is so bad you're not really gonna fly it, you can just seat in it and watch it form the outside, pretend you're at the Smithsonian museum or something :megalol:

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

The FM is so bad you're not really gonna fly it, you can just seat in it and watch it form the outside, pretend you're at the Smithsonian museum or something :megalol:

i am no expert or even amatuer on flight dynamics, so i stay WAY clear of THAT discussion ;)

Based on the description and screenshot of the mod on the download page, my main gripe, the dark messy sealant is only reduced...

Yeah I considered changing it. From what I've seen the sealant appears to be a putty like gasket with smooth edges (black or brown), so it may change to appear more like that in an update.

Make it work in mp wink.gif

I had no problem with integrity check in multiplayer.

Edited by Mortisrose

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52

Just want to start with I really like the mig-21 and you devs really do a great jobb!

Thank you for the mig-21!!!!

The thing with fighters is that the problem with a dirty canopy is a small one. You have to keep the inside clean but on the outside the speeds they are using makes the friction clean the aircrafts in a way. If they fly thru rain the canopy gets hammered by the rain and cleaned. (Drive a car thru rain and you get the same effect....)

To have a canopy that dirty as the devs have chosen for the mig-21 is wierd, not reslistic at all if you want to simulate a operational jetfighter. If you want to simulate a fighter thats been left outside at a museum for 30 years that a janitor tried to make rainproof with selicone all over the canopy..... well done devs! Because, for me at least thats what the canopy looks like. No trained engineer or technican in the world would do sutch a bad seeling work! Specially around the cockpit. And no not even in wartimes! Specially in conflict you step up your game, even with limited resources! A janitor at a museum, untrained but armed with good intentions to make the aircrafts rainproof so the visitors can sit in the mighty Mig-21, would...

So to you devs, are you skilled profesionals or janitors with good intentions?

And yes, I work with this stuff irl.

Edited by hovring

Janitors

Janitors

Please, please, please, I beg you to swallow your pride and just give us this extremely reasonable thing. The Mi8 has the options for clean / dirty canopies, no reason you can't do the same, with probably 30 mins worth of work.

People ask all the time whether the Mig-21 is worth it and most of us keep saying, Yes, yes it is (despite some issues with the FM and this canopy debacle). However, if this ridiculous behaviour continues, I for one will strongly advise these people to stay far away from your products until you start showing that you are in fact interested in making and supporting quality products. For the moment that doesn't seem to be the case and I'm left feeling that your products are now at a dead end, unsupported and practically vaporware.