Thrustmaster Cougar FOXY Profile

i just switched back to the cougar. have my warthog as well but i just prefer the cougar. i hate the warthog throttle compared to the cougar. just fits me better and i find it just better overall.

I love my Cougar ... and it will be nice to have for whenever DCS decides to make an F-16 :)

I purchased my Cougar new on 2002/2003 and I've had to repair it twice ... both times I was tempted to just replace it with a Warthog, but the Foxy scripting was just too nice when compared with Target, so both times I opted for repairing the Cougar .. so here I'am almost 16 years later still using the same Hotas :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am in the same boat as you Rudel. I have not to repair it yet. The throttle detent from 100% to AB is about toast, it does not hold all the time. I have the part, but I am too nervous to take it apart. I have used my friends Warthog throttle, hands down I love my TQS.

i bought my cougar on here from a great member in the community the week I got married. i think it was my gift to me. was sitting in the airport with the wife and finished up the sale. still kicking very well. my buddy who is just getting into sims is using my warthog now. want him to try things out before he drops the loot.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey ! Looks nice!

you can upload it again ?

OK, let me correct some issues with the airbrake and I will then upload it

:)

Edit: It's ready, I'm uploading it to ED's Users Files but it will be a while for it to appear yet, so please use this link in the meantime:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26g_c73fe5CBKUY53xfQ

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

THX Bro!

It will save my time ... i use the COUGAR since 2003 or so too

You are welcome, now the link on user’s files is active:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301292/

:)

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the profile, Rudel!

You are welcome :)

As a side note, last week the Microstick of my Cougar’s throttle started giving problems: one of its axis wouldnt go to its full range.

So, I contacted Guillemot and found that they do still have the spare for the microstick, tough its a bit expensive at 29 euro (plus shipping). As the shipping to my country is even greater than the spares costs, I tried to also purchase spare potentiometers for the X, Y and Z axis, but found that the X and Y are not available anymore ... but I did purchase the Z pot (for 10 euro).

The microstick replacement is a bit involved and requires soldering, so I will ask the help of an electronics workmate, it should go like this:

Gox0Zd1GO8Y

So, it seems that the next time an X or Y potentiometer fails I will be forced to part with my Cougar (or go for an involved modification to fit hall sensors).

Best regards.

I am running out of buttons on my Cougar TQS/HOTAS setup. I need to take advantage of my / modifiers, i.e. /U, /M, /D. I also have an issue that my Radar range knob, ANT thumb wheel, and Radar cursor mircostick are not recognized in DCS. I have downloaded the TARGET software as well as the CTS program from Home Fries. I need someone to please walk me through the process step by step from the TARGET software to CTS, to having DCS recognize all the features my sticks have.

Thank you very, very, much for your anticipated response.

Edited by GreatWhiteHype

... I have downloaded the TARGET software as well as the CTS program from Home Fries. I need someone to please walk me through the process step by step from the TARGET software to CTS, to having DCS recognize all the features my sticks have.

Well, actually on this thread we were discussing the use of Thrustmaster's previous software, FOXY, which is older than TARGET. I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you out with TARGET ... perhaps you should try to ask for help on Home Fries' thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116454

I am running out of buttons on my Cougar TQS/HOTAS setup. I need to take advantage of my / modifiers. I also have an issue that my Radar range knob, ANT thumb wheel, and Radar cursor mircostick are not recognized in DCS.

I use modifiers for my Cougar's buttons, but do so trough FOXY ... here is a Guide I wrote that may help you to try it, detailing how to install the FOXY software on a modern computer (keep in mind that FOXY dates back from 2001-2002):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181049

Best regards,

Okay, so I got everything downloaded again. However, when I click on the HOTAS CCP, I get a warning message that states, "The device is not connected, unrecognized, or not installed properly. Error 13 Unable to read from device.

The HOTAS shows up in Foxy, Joystick analyzer, Cougar viewer as working, but not the HOTAS Cougar Logical Flags program. I am following your steps from your thread to the letter. But I feel human error came into the mix.

Delete and try again?

Edited by GreatWhiteHype

Run the CCP in Admin mode (right clic the icon, properties, compatibility, check run as admin)

I neglected to tell you I had that selected in my prior post. I restarted the installation process, made double sure the admin box was checked, and I still get the same message.

I really dont know what might be the problem .. do you also have the TARGET software installed? I have only the Cougar drivers plus Foxy installed on my PC .. here is a small test I did today to show that it does work:

DjRYEIjjLj4

Currently I’m using windows 8.1 Pro x64, but I have previously used the same setup on Windows 10 Pro x64 with no trouble (didnt like Win10, so reverted back to Windows 8.1)

When Im checking the axes on the viewer you can see that the ZR axis of my Cougar’s microstick cant reach its full range :( .. I have just purchased a spare and will repair it myself when the part arrives to my country.

Hope you can solve the issue, Cheers.

@Rudel: What's the advantage to use the Windows Axis states?

I never have that option ticket.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

@Rudel: What's the advantage to use the Windows Axis states?

I never have that option ticket.

Its kind of hard to explain ... but it stems from the fact that DirectX only allows 8 Axis (and 32 buttons) for each game controller that you have connected to the PC.

In the Cougar's case, you have 2 axis on the stick. If you connect the throttle (to the cougar), you will have 5 more axis (7 in total) and if you connect a TM Rudder (again, to the cougar ... if you connect another brand rudder directly to another USB port of the PC it will count as a different game controller) you will add 3 more axis (rudder plus 2 brakes), for a total of 10.

The CCP is used to manage which 8 of the 10 axis will be visible to DirectX ... on my case, I used to assign the Microstick's X & Y axis ... instead of the rudder's axis (because I dont have TM's ruder) ... when you do this kind of reordering of the Axis you need to check the "Axes states" tick mark.

Hope its clearer now :)

I know that the topic is about Foxy, but as a guy who has been using Thrustmaster products since the FCS/WCS Mk1 for Falcon 3.0, I've had the opportunity to run the gauntlet of programming software, and I want to give a shout out to TARGET.

I get why you like Foxy. It's simple and fairly intuitive, and there are some things (like button combinations) that it does much better than TARGET. It also uploads the profile directly to the Cougar firmware, so you don't have to worry about your profile crashing during flight (something that happens on occasion with TARGET, especially when the CPU gets saturated). I started using Foxy when I upgraded my F-16 FLCS/TQS to Bob Church's digital chips, and I learned how to use the logic flags to squeeze everything I could out of those profiles. Once Foxy was standard with the Cougar, it was an easy transition. However, some Foxy functionality is now broken with newer operating systems, in particular FIGL which at one time would allow you to switch your profile with the touch of a button. It was this desire to change profiles on the fly that pushed me to TARGET, and ultimately the additional programming power of TARGET (basically programming in C with specialized libraries) and the ability to program the MFDs made it a no-brainer to stay with it.

TARGET allows full use of integer variables and arrays (rather than just a handful of logical flags and a linear SEQ command), and allows you to use a TEMPO function in addition to your button assignments based on S3 and your dogfight switch. I think the TEMPO function alone is worth the price of admission. Building a basic profile is not much harder than using Foxy. The big thing is structure and formatting since you are using C, but once you have that down the logic of building a simple profile is very similar to Foxy. IMHO, give the TARGET GUI a hard pass and build your script through the script editor.

Again, my biggest knock on TARGET is the FAST middleware which crashes too often (and usually when it involves LEDs on the MFDs). Since TARGET creates a virtual controller (instead of using firmware) a dumped profile also means you lose your controller ID in DCS, which compounds the issue. A simple Cougar profile (without LEDs) is less likely to crash, but it is a definite downside to the middleware approach. The upside, though, is that you are not limited to the 25k of NVROM in the Cougar stick that is used to store the profile. I never came near busting that with Foxy profiles, but there was never enough I could do with Foxy to come near that. My TARGET profile for DCS, on the other hand, has over 30k lines of code, which is a testament to the power that comes if you learn how to use TARGET.

//soapbox off

Edited by Home Fries

... I get why you like Foxy. It's simple and fairly intuitive ...

It also has much better documentation: Foxy has a 168 pages Manual for the programming GUI, plus a 185 pages programming language reference manual (this is not including the Cougar Hotas manuals)

... Target has a 44 page GUI manual and a 62 pages Basic Scripting Guide (not a reference) ... I really cant imagine how you were able to learn the scripting with so little support :)

However, some Foxy functionality is now broken with newer operating systems, in particular FIGL which at one time would allow you to switch your profile with the touch of a button. It was this desire to change profiles on the fly that pushed me to TARGET ...

On my case, it isnt really a big deal as I usually fly the same aircraft for several weeks in a row, but if I do need to change profiles on the middle of a DCS session, I simply alt-tab to the desktop, run Foxy, download the profile into the Cougar's memory and alt-tab back into DCS ... isnt a single button, but takes just a few seconds on a fast PC.

The big thing is structure and formatting since you are using C, but once you have that down the logic of building a simple profile is very similar to Foxy.

Probably that's my biggest gripe with TARGET, as I dont have a C programming background ... Foxy is more like just a Macro, an order of magnitude more simple.

... My TARGET profile for DCS, on the other hand, has over 30k lines of code, which is a testament to the power that comes if you learn how to use TARGET.

I will probably be forced to learn TARGET once my Cougar fails for good and I have to replace it with a Warthog (I wont consider alternatives like VirPil that have no profiling ability) ... but I'm not really eager to get to that point yet :D ... will keep repairing my Cougar until its no longer possible to get spares.

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

The CCP is used to manage which 8 of the 10 axis will be visible to DirectX ... on my case, I used to assign the Microstick's X & Y axis ... instead of the rudder's axis (because I dont have TM's ruder) ... when you do this kind of reordering of the Axis you need to check the "Axes states" tick mark.

Hope its clearer now :)

Not really no (i was aware of the 8-axis limit in DX).

I don't have TM rudders either (i have a pair of CH rudders) and just like you i have only 7 axis (stick X/Y, throttle, antenna, range, microstick X/Y) so i still don't see the need to re-arange them and use the tickbox.

OZTJiK3.png

As for TARGET: Have started with it already a few times but always gave up. I could manage a few simple things but when it gets more complex, it's over and done. Way to complex if you don't know any C.

There's still even a lot in Foxy that i can't get my head around. I get the idea of logical flags and DX buttons but if i then look into someone else's profiles including flags and DX buttons i often get lost and i have no clue what it does if there are no remarks with a decent explanation of what is going on.

I don't use complex profiles either, mainly for the fact that i quite often stop flying quite some time and have to re-learn the setup after such a stop (i've already come to the "forget a lot" age).

For that i try to make each setup as similar to one another for as much as possible.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I don't have TM rudders either (i have a pair of CH rudders) and just like you i have only 7 axis (stick X/Y, throttle, antenna, range, microstick X/Y) so i still don't see the need to re-arange them and use the tickbox.

Maybe you are right and it isnt really needed ... Initially, I used that option on an attempt to get the Microstick axes visible within DCS, but as I found that the microstick's axis travel was too small, I opted to use them using the Foxy's AXIS statement, like this:

Rem -------------------------------------

Rem Microjoystick: Radar Designator

Rem -------------------------------------

MIY 5 3 (0 40 60 100) (/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Down ) ^ (/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Up )

MIX 5 3 (0 40 60 100) (/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Left ) ^ (/H Throttle_Designator_Controller-Right )

dividing each axis on three zones: 0-40%, 40-60% and 60-100%

I have something similar

MIY 3 Throttle_Designator_Controller-Right ^ Throttle_Designator_Controller-Left

/I 6 23 (2 4 6 8 11 14 17 21 25 30 36 43 58 65 71 76 80 84 87 90 93 95 97 98) MSX(3-) MSX(3+) MSX(0)

MIX 3 Throttle_Designator_Controller-Down ^ Throttle_Designator_Controller-Up

/I 6 23 (2 4 6 8 11 14 17 21 25 30 36 43 58 65 71 76 80 84 87 90 93 95 97 98) MSY(3-) MSY(3+) MSY(0)

But i have to admid that this part i copy/pasted from someone else's profile and used it in mine where i need the microstick.

I have been reading through the MIX/Y help file a few times but after a few paragraphs i'm lost so in the end i just copied a working microstick part into my profiles.

The /I statement makes the microstick move faster when needed.