Show me your mad dogfighting skills!

Wags

does that count??

EDIT: really guys, AI so superior, you have no chance with a lousy controller at 20k-ish. I decided to drag his a$$ to the ground and maybe, maybe, he'll bite the dust.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The ea AI is a killer on amphetamines sure enough!

Am reading a book at the mo about the BOBritain, theres an memorable account in the prelude (during the BOFrance) of a 109 dragging a spit/huri (cant remember) way down low, actually below high tension cables at one point, in that case the 109 gets shot down, but the account from the RAF pilot despite him being the pursuer, makes it clear it was a VERY close run thing - it's a good and realistic tactic if he's latched on IMHO.

An ea dead is an ea dead. Defo counts!

Gotta keep eyes on! Like pretty much all the time! (In the absence of head tracker, mouse controlled view worked for me OK in IL2).

I haven't got (yet) anything to get a 'tube up... but

The AI (stock 1v1 P51 mission in the second Beta) can be done! :)

I (lol) didn't realise I was so rusty, what with not having done any ACM for about 4 years, and I have to voice my appreciation to DCS for thier effort in developing the AI - well done!

:thumbup:

(Now to learn to fly this baby)

Got him.trk

Got him again.trk

Head on.trk

He will smirk no more.trk

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Yep if you can get the advantage during the merge, and you're shooting OK, then it should be in the bag fairly quickly.

Having said that, I'm having some damn good scraps when I foul up and have to try to win back the advantage. Am working on ways of not getting hit and turning it around, (too long for youtube with limited techknowhow at the mo) working on it.

ED please don't dumb down ea AI !!!!

It's practically teaching me how to fly properly at the moment! I'm not sure I'd of practised stall turns otherwise :)

All ea AI must die, long live ea AI!

How to adjust the AI's fuel and weight? Also is there any possibility to modify the initial merge? I find the game starts way too close to each other, with the targeting not set up correctly for wingspan and range, carb heat and coolers not set up correctly...from a newcomer's perspective some things are not very intuitive in DCS.

MAC

How to adjust the AI's fuel and weight? Also is there any possibility to modify the initial merge? I find the game starts way too close to each other, with the targeting not set up correctly for wingspan and range, carb heat and coolers not set up correctly...from a newcomer's perspective some things are not very intuitive in DCS.

Hi Mac,

I can help with the fuel / weight issue at least... basically at the mo the AI is missing the mass of its ammo = 628lb, so....

Go to Mission editor (ME) and select / highlight the enemy aircraft, then select the weapons loadout (pic of a bomb in front elevation), change his fuel load AND YOURS so the dif is 628lbs, i.e. he's got a gross weight (GW) of 10066lbs and you've got a GW of 9438lb.

Re seperation at start - in ME click and move the enemy aircraft further away - Yeah it takes a few mo's to set up everything as you want it - for me 5 miles min is just about enough - I use SHIFT F1 (labels) to keep an eye on him until about 1-2miles then I turn it off.

It's all about practise - the more you practise the easier the seemingly impossible gets really! good luck.

Hi Mac,

I can help with the fuel / weight issue at least... basically at the mo the AI is missing the mass of its ammo = 628lb, so....

Go to Mission editor (ME) and select / highlight the enemy aircraft, then select the weapons loadout (pic of a bomb in front elevation), change his fuel load AND YOURS so the dif is 628lbs, i.e. he's got a gross weight (GW) of 10066lbs and you've got a GW of 9438lb.

Re seperation at start - in ME click and move the enemy aircraft further away - Yeah it takes a few mo's to set up everything as you want it - for me 5 miles min is just about enough - I use SHIFT F1 (labels) to keep an eye on him until about 1-2miles then I turn it off.

It's all about practise - the more you practise the easier the seemingly impossible gets really! good luck.

Thanks Viamanaman! Very good advice!

MAC

Crikes a'mighty!

I just came back to A2A practise after some time doing other stuff, and then some P51 mud moving experiments... (Still can't proceduralise low level bombing / rockets!!)

...and I have to say; Sheet this AI is kicking my Butt Again!

It took me a day of getting mostly letters home, before (on the second day) I finally nailed his butt a couple of times!

I withdraw my references to this being straightforward!

About half the time it's a stalemate and I give up, or he crashes. The other half is split between him killing me and visa versa.

Still loving this AI tho!

(Tho he could use a better altimeter:)

Here's a quick little a quick little schwazzle that I did half by accident and half be determination...

Not sure I recommend this manoeuvre as I lost all E and then some :) and eventually the fight, but airframe was very clean at the end as I also need to watch my altimeter:music_whistling:

V

The stars and moon were finally aligned correctly and I got my first kill in a dogfight against the AI.

Holy shit you disintegrated the bastard!! Good job!

EDIT: I also watched grayson's vs. panzertard's online duel. It was awesome! Guys, you really should try it from 20-30K. :D

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you definitely have to work to get a kill, and may I brag that I always kill his energy loving @ss now. :D Obviously, your first move is vital so get some lateral separation and turn into him early. Don't forget to adjust wingspan to 37 using , key and have the range mapped to your stick which you'll constantly use in a dog fight.

If you don't have TIR, like me, map the range and snap to center keys to buttons that your thumb can easily reach, and don't use padlock. I find mouse-look much more effective, and it'll become natural after a bit of practice. Once the bandit at the top of your canopy frame, hit snap to center and use your left hand to adjust throttle and thumb on the range button. AI on most difficult setting cannot kill leafer no more. :D

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Sounds like your having a 'Marianas turkey shoot' there Leafer :)

Very nice flying by the sounds - I was trying to put my finger on why some merges end up with it being 'easy' to get on his tail, and other times far less so - I think the difference is the lateral separation thing you mention... interesting. I was heading in that direction but it hadn't quite clicked.

See if you can't find some time to stick another vid up. Nah worries if you aint got time.

I like learning from seeing how others do stuff (and sure other people do also).

I'm working on some vids myself (trying wheelers, trying to actually hit stuff with bombs, messing about with pylons:), and A2A stuff) but only have time on weekends - hopefully I'll have something this weekend worth posting.

Death to all AI

Sure thing. I saved all vids when I kill, as you call them, fing AI. :D I'll post vid later today. Yes, I believe the lateral separation makes all the difference. Sometimes I get him within a few turns while other times it took at least 10 turns before i nailed his fing AI horizontal butt. :D

Wheeler I cannot do and I've tried. Viper posted a vid with comment on how to but I just can't do it.

Nice going Mop!

You sure ruined his day!

Practise, practise, practise! that's all you need to do to beat this devil.

See if you can't turn in harder after the pass - but not too hard - make sure your using a measured amount of rudder to speed your rate of turn.

Well played Dude!

V

I dove for some vertical separation and to gain some speed. It appears I can't down an AI any quicker than this. I've set AI to highest, label was on, and our weight and speed are equal.

Oh, I tried to do a wheeler at the end but once again, no joy.

TdBGZ9LiQdc

Nice going Mop!

You sure ruined his day!

Practise, practise, practise! that's all you need to do to beat this devil.

See if you can't turn in harder after the pass - but not too hard - make sure your using a measured amount of rudder to speed your rate of turn.

Well played Dude!

V

You`re right about the using of rudder to increase turn rate... i´m using it much to rare by now... this is something i realised the first time a few tries ago.... something else i realised: Is it true that if you use a little bit of rudder in the turn the bird keeps more velocity, or is it wrong?

• ED Team
You`re right about the using of rudder to increase turn rate... i´m using it much to rare by now... this is something i realised the first time a few tries ago.... something else i realised: Is it true that if you use a little bit of rudder in the turn the bird keeps more velocity, or is it wrong?

Remember - lowering flaps by 1 notch also increases turn rate, but watch out for speed bleed-off.

Edited by JimMack

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Is it true that if you use a little bit of rudder in the turn the bird keeps more velocity, or is it wrong?

I'm no expert Mop but I think this has to be true - if the turn is coordinated i.e. the ball is centred, then your not side-slipping through the airflow, thus less drag, thus you'll keep / gain more V.

The opposite is when you need to slow down on approach because perhaps you're a touch high, side-slip on purpose and you'll be able to loose height but still control your speed through the extra drag.

Keep at it.

I dove for some vertical separation and to gain some speed. It appears I can't down an AI any quicker than this. I've set AI to highest, label was on, and our weight and speed are equal.

Oh, I tried to do a wheeler at the end but once again, no joy.

Nice one for sticking another vid up Leafer.

You're shooting is way better (and more calm) than mine - I have a tendancy to panic when he's in the sight:doh:

And I'm usually live bait when I loose sight of him - very tenacious scrapping dude!

I've spent a couple or three evenings just trying to do wheelers in a circuits mission (no wind) - T/O is OK for me mostly now, LDG is still tricky but I'm getting there - one thing I do know is touchdown has to be close to 120 indicated and smooth as a ladies inner thigh.

I have two or three vids which am working on will post Sunday eve. Ta.

I did not know about the rudder trick. The problem is with a twist grip, a slight twist is bound to get me in more trouble than anything else. And my shooting isn't all that great believe me. :D It's ironic how we can mix it up with some crazy skilled AI but almost always ruin a perfect flight trying to do some fancy landings. Can't wait to see your vid, and thank you for the compliment, brother Viamanaman. :D

• ED Team
I did not know about the rudder trick. The problem is with a twist grip, a slight twist is bound to get me in more trouble than anything else. And my shooting isn't all that great believe me. :D It's ironic how we can mix it up with some crazy skilled AI but almost always ruin a perfect flight trying to do some fancy landings. Can't wait to see your vid, and thank you for the compliment, brother Viamanaman. :D

Remember, if you have an enemy on your 6, feed in some rudder, so you are skidding/sliding. It may not fool an AI enemy, but in multiplayer, it will probably fool a human,

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Remember - lowering flaps by 1 notch also increases turn rate, but watch out for speed bleed-off.

Remember, if you have an enemy on your 6, feed in some rudder, so you are skidding/sliding. It may not fool an AI enemy, but in multiplayer, it will probably fool a human,

Thanks for the tips:pilotfly:

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer