Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Actually, you're the first one to mention it. No-Kills-Messages forces pilots, especially strikers to come around and make sure they've got the kill. just like in real life. That adds yet another realistic aspect to it.

Hi,

I love the server, but I really prefer to see the kill msgs.

Tks in advance,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy

Hi,

I love the server, but I really prefer to see the kill msgs.

Tks in advance,

Sydy

The kill messages add a lot of information to the SA. What if the enemy deployed a MANPAD somewhere and doesn't want you to know?

The scoreboard is there and tells you pretty much if you've got the kill or not in maybe 97-99% of the situations. Same thing with the messages confirming your kills. If a kill is confirmed via message, it goes right on the scoreboard, which is something you can look up. If a kill doesn't count, then maybe someone else finished him for you, or he managed to RTB, or crash landed after a certain amount of time, after which any crash is no longer considered a kill, which is something prescripted in the game.

Even with the messages, teamkills will always be. That's an unfortunate real issue, as you might know, no matter what or how advanced the avionic systems will ever be.

If you're still interested in knowing the exact details, then that's what tacview is there for, plus helps with the failure analysis.

Mostly, fighters type things like: "gk", meaning "good kill", or "gf", meaning "good fight", etc. They congratulate and salute each other after the fight. That's when you know who got you, or whom you've turned into ashes.

I don't really see a point in adding the messages, buddy.

See you airborne!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

GNS430 now avalible for all aircraft as a pop-up.

Visual navegation and dead reckoning is a great feature in this server. Is there any way to rescrict 430 usage?

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) Plus usando o Tapatalk

Not sure I can. It's a feature players pay money for. Prohibiting that might be a bit harsh. We'll see how that goes...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Alpenwolf could you please allow the bk90 on some of the bigger missions like open range?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Wasn't it your suggestion to remove them?!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The kill messages add a lot of information to the SA. What if the enemy deployed a MANPAD somewhere and doesn't want you to know?

The scoreboard is there and tells you pretty much if you've got the kill or not in maybe 97-99% of the situations. Same thing with the messages confirming your kills. If a kill is confirmed via message, it goes right on the scoreboard, which is something you can look up. If a kill doesn't count, then maybe someone else finished him for you, or he managed to RTB, or crash landed after a certain amount of time, after which any crash is no longer considered a kill, which is something prescripted in the game.

Even with the messages, teamkills will always be. That's an unfortunate real issue, as you might know, no matter what or how advanced the avionic systems will ever be.

If you're still interested in knowing the exact details, then that's what tacview is there for, plus helps with the failure analysis.

Mostly, fighters type things like: "gk", meaning "good kill", or "gf", meaning "good fight", etc. They congratulate and salute each other after the fight. That's when you know who got you, or whom you've turned into ashes.

I don't really see a point in adding the messages, buddy.

See you airborne!

Hi Alpenwolf,

I thank you for you answer. Although we agree to disagree, I respect your decision and it will not lower at all my interest for your server.

All the best,

Sydy

I never suggested you should remove them. I just asked if you would

Whether you suggest removing them or asking if I would remove them, there isn't much of a difference in the expression :smilewink:

Anyway, you'd like them back you say? All missions? Some?

I don't have the Viggen, but I looked up a video of some guy using these missiles and they seem pretty much powerful. I mean, the CBU's have always been disabled (other servers do that too), and if the BK90 missiles are just as good, then maybe I should keep them disabled?

What is the fire range of those anyway? How many missiles can you carry?

Give me some information, please.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Whether you suggest removing them or asking if I would remove them, there isn't much of a difference in the expression :smilewink:

Anyway, you'd like them back you say? All missions? Some?

I don't have the Viggen, but I looked up a video of some guy using these missiles and they seem pretty much powerful. I mean, the CBU's have always been disabled (other servers do that too), and if the BK90 missiles are just as good, then maybe I should keep them disabled?

What is the fire range of those anyway? How many missiles can you carry?

Give me some information, please.

They have about a 7km range and you can carry 4. That said, you need a waypoint directly on the target which means you can remove some of our waypoints so we need to to reconnaissance missions in order to get the coordinates to plug in the location of our targets.

They were made to allow engagement of targets too well defended by aaa for a regular bomb or rocket attack so I see the biggest problem being people targeting enemy airfields but that can be prevented with more SAMs.

I'm not saying we should have them on every mission, just on the big ones like open range.

And I've heard AAA can shoot BK90s down

Can you confirm that?

Quite busy these 2 days. When I have time I'll put the missiles back in Open Range.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

They have about a 7km range and you can carry 4. That said, you need a waypoint directly on the target which means you can remove some of our waypoints so we need to to reconnaissance missions in order to get the coordinates to plug in the location of our targets.

They were made to allow engagement of targets too well defended by aaa for a regular bomb or rocket attack so I see the biggest problem being people targeting enemy airfields but that can be prevented with more SAMs.

I'd like to see the BK90. Cold War server is the only server that really makes sense for flying the Viggen, IMO. It'd be a shame to not have one of its iconic weapons deployable at all.

I've done some tests and the BK90 does not leave craters on runways as far as I can tell, so it can't really take out an airfield. There's litte risk of it being used to that effect I think.

Its blast area is wide-ish, but simple scattering units over more than 500m removes the chance of the weapon destroying too many units at once.

Furthermore, the weapon still requires the pilot to get in within 7km of the target, so it's a rather close-in stand off weapon, in many senses. It's really only good for avoiding AA guns, and does not protect from SAMs given their range.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

As shown in the video, it is a powerful missile. I mean, 1 missile can destroy pretty much everything on a FARP. In most missions ground units are not that afar from each other. That's why the CBU's have always been prohibited here.

Basically, 1 Viggen with 4 missiles can take out the factory buildings in the mission Open Range, destroy the FARP and the water station in a single fast sweep. That's kinda rendering other strikers flying around pointlessly.

Hard decision to make here, guys.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

As shawn in the video, it is a powerful missile. I mean, 1 missile can destroy pretty much everything on a FARP. In most missions ground units are not that afar from each other. That's why the CBU's have always been prohibited here.

Basically, 1 Viggen with 4 missiles can take out the factory buildings in the mission Open Range, destroy the FARP and the water station in a single fast sweep. That's kinda rendering other strikers flying around pointlessly.

Hard decision to make here, guys.

However, the targets here were parked aircraft. The BK90 has 2 types of submunition, one for taking out infantry and light vehicles using shrapnel, and another for taking out light armour such as APCs using a shaped charge. BTRs and BMPs need multiple hits to go down.

Just to throw in another point for consideration: The BK90 is a late 80's weapon, so might not really fit into the current F-5E vs. MiG-21bis setting.
Actually It's a mid -90s weapon but so is the AJS37, so it shouldn't even be on the cold war server. The same goes for the night attack harrier.

Actually It's a mid -90s weapon but so is the AJS37, so it shouldn't even be on the cold war server. The same goes for the night attack harrier.

We're just going to have to wait till more cold war planes come out. I see the Viggen more as a Phantom substitute. I feel once the Phantom comes in the Viggen will be replaced

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

We're just going to have to wait till more cold war planes come out. I see the Viggen more as a Phantom substitute. I feel once the Phantom comes in the Viggen will be replaced

The F-4 will replace the Harrier.

The A-10A stays.

The Viggen stays too. She's not as advanced as the Harrier version we've got. The Harrier is way too modern for the set we have here. The Viggen extends the Cold War era a bit, but not that much. I get some complaints about involving the Harrier in the missions and never anything regarding the Viggen. It's like a mutual agreement, where no one's really bothered by the Viggen.

Basically, any Cold War era plane/helicopter is most welcome. Unless the released version (like the Harrier) is way too advanced.

Remember that the main modules are still and always will be the MiG-21 and the F-5.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments