PL-5 Question

Chiron

Uncage the seeker will command the missile SLAVE to radar

so i missed a good option here :( thx so much for help i will try it so far i was thinking is i should fire when i got the Tune only looks like i was mistaken thx so much again

so i missed a good option here :( thx so much for help i will try it so far i was thinking is i should fire when i got the Tune only looks like i was mistaken thx so much again
You still only fire when you get a good tone. Slaving the PL5 to the radar simply slaves the seeker to the line of sight of the radar, so it looks at your tracked target for faster/easier acquisition. It does not provide radar guidance, the seeker still needs to track the target by itself. You should always wait for a good tone before you fire a heatseeker.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You still only fire when you get a good tone. Slaving the PL5 to the radar simply slaves the seeker to the line of sight of the radar, so it looks at your tracked target for faster/easier acquisition. It does not provide radar guidance, the seeker still needs to track the target by itself. You should always wait for a good tone before you fire a heatseeker.

hmmm that was my question from the begaining u can slave aim-9x or R-37 without the tune i think

hmmm that was my question from the begaining u can slave aim-9x or R-37 without the tune i think

AIM-9X will slew to the RADAR but you still need to uncage prior to launch.

PL-5EII seems to require it be uncaged to slew to the RADAR, which is the distinction.

Something is making me think if the AIM-9X is cued with JHMCS and it is fired, it will uncage automatically.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Nope, not in DCS at least. You're talking about LOAL (lock on after launch) capability, which is not present on any of the missiles DCS currently has. I believe the AIM-9X Block II got it, but we don't have that one.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Nope, not in DCS at least. You're talking about LOAL (lock on after launch) capability, which is not present on any of the missiles DCS currently has. I believe the AIM-9X Block II got it, but we don't have that one.

ok thx so much for your explanation

AIM-9X will slew to the RADAR but you still need to uncage prior to launch.

PL-5EII seems to require it be uncaged to slew to the RADAR, which is the distinction.

Something is making me think if the AIM-9X is cued with JHMCS and it is fired, it will uncage automatically.

it need some test i think i will try it

PL5 uncage allow the seeker to slave to radar LOS and begin pattern scan, if a heat source is available, the seeker will automatically track on.

If caged, the seeker will stay at ADL, but will still auto track on a heat source if it enter the seeker FOV.

AIM-9X on F/A-18 will salve to radar LOS by default, and with JHMCS it will auto uncage when the heat source is strong enough.

AIM-9X on F-16 still have some cage/uncage bug last time I flew, but since it is quite a while ago, I don't know if it has been fixed now.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team