Launch Bar Binding On/Off Switch

Has anyone come up with a good definition for binding the Launch Bar to a simple On/Off switch?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I presume you are looking for .lau edit for that?

{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Launch Bar Control 2-Pos Switch RETRACT/EXTEND'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

YISSS!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=233644&stc=1&d=1587720269

Many Thanks!

My value_down was wrong; 0.0 and not -1.0 :thumbup:

1223959561_YesBaby.jpg.ec8a214218faa3cab0ec98cb199c47b5.jpg

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Glad it helped! There is a thread in the "Controllers" section with a lot more info on this if you need more details. Can be a little confusing/overwhelming at first, but with a little bit of trial and error you can probably do most things you might want to.

I know in general how to edit controls for binds. In this case it just never dawned on my to try different values. Sometimes I is a bit dense.

I'll have to look up that thread. There was one somewhere telling how to get a tool-tip with the device number for every switch and dial in the cockpit, but I can't find it any more. It's just 2020 I guess :huh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

I tried the value_down = -1.0, but as soon as I cange any values in this line, I get an In-Game error. In the controls section, where I would assing the switch, the launchbar is show orange and I can‘t assign anything.

Does anyone know why that is?

Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus Wifi D4 ** Intel i9-12900K ** RTX3090 Gigabyte Gaming OC ** 64 GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws ** Samsung 980 Pro M.2 ** Windows 11

I tried the value_down = -1.0, but as soon as I cange any values in this line, I get an In-Game error. In the controls section, where I would assing the switch, the launchbar is show orange and I can‘t assign anything.

Does anyone know why that is?

Post your "c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick\default.lua" file, instead of us trying to guess.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

These are two things I really, really, really wish DCS would just add to the default.lua rather than making me update it after every update. How hard can that be?

{	down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,			up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,			cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,		value_down =  1.0,	value_up = 0.0,	name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'),						category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{	down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, 													cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, 	value_down =  1.0, 					name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - EXTEND'), 							category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{	down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, 													cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, 	value_down =  -1.0, 				name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - RETRACT'), 							category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

{	down = fuel_commands.DumpSw,						up = fuel_commands.DumpSw,					cockpit_device_id = devices.FUEL_INTERFACE,			value_down =  1.0,		value_up = 0.0,	name = _('Fuel Dump Switch - ON/OFF'),								category = {_('Left Console'), _('Fuel Control Panel')}},
{	down = fuel_commands.DumpSw, 																	cockpit_device_id = devices.FUEL_INTERFACE, 		value_down =  1.0, 						name = _('Fuel Dump Switch - ON'), 									category = {_('Left Console'), _('Fuel Control Panel')}},
{	down = fuel_commands.DumpSw, 																	cockpit_device_id = devices.FUEL_INTERFACE, 		value_down =  -1.0, 					name = _('Fuel Dump Switch - OFF'), 								category = {_('Left Console'), _('Fuel Control Panel')}},

Mildly annoying ... but just keep your modifications in a text file. When an update occurs, you can simply paste the block of mods at the top of the new controls file. Only takes a few seconds - they don't need to be placed anywhere specific in the control file.

It would be good if the default controls file called "mods.lua" .... which would simply be your own mods file.

These are two things I really, really, really wish DCS would just add to the default.lua rather than making me update it after every update. How hard can that be?

{    down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,            up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,            cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,        value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'),                        category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

In this line it should be value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0 (or if that's doing backward to what you want, -1 and 1 -- that's the way I have mine). You want 1.0 and -1.0, not having 0 as one of the option.

Also note that I add this to this file: Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Open Beta\Config\Input\Aircrafts\common_joystick_binding.lua

Edited by rob10
added file I change

Here is the original line of code:

{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,			cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

When I change it to:

{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,			cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0, value_up = -1.0, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

which is just replacing the 0.0 by -1.0, the control in the DCS GUI turns organge and I cannot assign anything. That is my issue. Any number would cause this problem.

I also saw that the Hook Bypass and Fuel Dump switch work properly on the ground, but in the air, they have a different behavior. That is weird too.

Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus Wifi D4 ** Intel i9-12900K ** RTX3090 Gigabyte Gaming OC ** 64 GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws ** Samsung 980 Pro M.2 ** Windows 11

Did you simply modify the original line?

Did you copy the original line to a new line and then modify the new line?

Did you comment out the old line using 2 dashes (--) without parenthesis?

Did you do all this while DCS was shut down?

Did you edit the default.lua file in place; in other words, did you edit the original file within the 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World...' folder structure and then save the changes without choosing a new save location?

Personally I used OMM (Open Mod Manager) to implement mods, but until very recently I used OvGME, which works just as well.

I left the original line untouched and simply added my new line in, with only the 'value_down', 'value_up', and 'name' parameters having been changed.

{	down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - EXTEND else RETRACT'),						category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

Of course under CONTROLS I bind only the new 'name', instead of the old.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

...the control in the DCS GUI turns organge and I cannot assign anything. That is my issue. Any number would cause this problem...

Based on this it seems to me that you have added a new line with the changed value, but the same name, and the original line is still there. Command names must be unique. Therefore any added line must have a different name.

If that's not it, then it would be easier to discuss by voice via Skype or whatever.

PS: my line for the launch bar switch:

{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  -1.0, value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control 2-Pos Switch RETRACT/EXTEND'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes, I modified the original line in the default.lua file.

Yes, I of course use -- for comments ;)

However, I added a new line with the code LeCuvier posted and that did the trick. Now I have a properly working launchbar switch. :)

Thanks a lot guys!

Edited by Pixar
Typo