How do you unlock IRMAV target

epokha

Hey all,

Is there any way to unlock IRMAV target without losing the designation with the TPOD? I keep locking on to power poles.

AMD 3600X- 32GB RAM - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080Ti - 512GB NVme Samsung 830 256Gb 840 256Gb SSD - Track IR 4.0 + TrackClip Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - WarBRD base mount and extention - Simped F16/USB (Stolen!) - Thrustmaster T-flight pedals (spew)

DCS KA-50 Blackshark 1 & 2; DCS P-51 Mustang; DCS A-10C Warthog; DCS UH-1 Huey; DCS F-86F; DCS Mi-8MTV2; DCS Mig-21bis; DCS: AV-8b; DCS: Spitfire IX; DCS: NS430; DCS: Combined Arms; Lock On Flaming Cliffs 3; Rise of Flight; IL2:1946;

I think you're confused about a number of things at once. The targeting pod is the targeting pod, and the IRMV is the IRMV. Don't mix them together.

So you have the TPOD displayed on your right MPCD and out of standby. You slew is controlling the TPOD's carrot. Slew it to your target. If the target is a vehicle, the TPOD ought to automatically lock onto the vehicle and PNT will be underlined at OSB 20. Sometimes you have to press OSB 20 though.

Once the TPOD is locked on the target you uncage the IRMV, which will bring it's IR display on to the left MFCD with it pointing to the exact same point as the TPOD, if the target is within the IRMV's FOV. Press SSS-Aft to move the Sensor Selector Switch focus to the IRMV. Starting now the slew will control the IRMV's camera, but you should already be on target. Press the slew down to confirm the target, which will have the target reticle lines close in on the target (about one pixel will be missing from the lines touching the target). The IRMV has now locked the target as well. Now just press the pickel when you are ready to fire.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I think you're confused about a number of things at once. The targeting pod is the targeting pod, and the IRMV is the IRMV. Don't mix them together.

So you have the TPOD displayed on your right MPCD and out of standby. You slew is controlling the TPOD's carrot. Slew it to your target. If the target is a vehicle, the TPOD ought to automatically lock onto the vehicle and PNT will be underlined at OSB 20. Sometimes you have to press OSB 20 though.

Once the TPOD is locked on the target you uncage the IRMV, which will bring it's IR display on to the left MFCD with it pointing to the exact same point as the TPOD, if the target is within the IRMV's FOV. Press SSS-Aft to move the Sensor Selector Switch focus to the IRMV. Starting now the slew will control the IRMV's camera, but you should already be on target. Press the slew down to confirm the target, which will have the target reticle lines close in on the target (about one pixel will be missing from the lines touching the target). The IRMV has now locked the target as well. Now just press the pickel when you are ready to fire.

Sorry, I think you have misunderstood what I'm asking. If the MAV locks on to something close by your target, how to you break the lock? You can do it in the A10C. The MAV feed through the DMT is a lower zoom level, so its easy to lock on to the wrong target, even though the TPOD is tracking correctly.

I have the correct target in point track in the targeting pod, switch to IRMV in the DMT. The sensor hasn't got the same amount of zoom, the IRMV locks to a power pole right next to my target. I don't know how to break the lock with the IRMV display. I can boresight everything, but then i have to reacquire the target again with the TPOD.

Edited by epokha

AMD 3600X- 32GB RAM - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080Ti - 512GB NVme Samsung 830 256Gb 840 256Gb SSD - Track IR 4.0 + TrackClip Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - WarBRD base mount and extention - Simped F16/USB (Stolen!) - Thrustmaster T-flight pedals (spew)

DCS KA-50 Blackshark 1 & 2; DCS P-51 Mustang; DCS A-10C Warthog; DCS UH-1 Huey; DCS F-86F; DCS Mi-8MTV2; DCS Mig-21bis; DCS: AV-8b; DCS: Spitfire IX; DCS: NS430; DCS: Combined Arms; Lock On Flaming Cliffs 3; Rise of Flight; IL2:1946;

It use to break the lock with a long enough press of the slew in one direction, but since the IRMV should lock onto what the TPOD was locked on to, I never have the IRMV locked onto the wrong target. I mean, maybe of your have a long line of tanks and are flying directy at them at low altitude so that their silhouettes overlap each other...

I don't think I've ever seen a lock on an electrical mast.

Slewing the IRMV should not alter the TPOD IIRC. The IRMV slaves to the TPOD, but I don't think it works the other way around, although I might be wrong. If I am wrong, then there's nothing you can do against it AFAIK

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I do see this happening as the OP describes.

And even with IRMV selected, slewing the mav view slews the TPOD view simultaneously.

I agree that the only way I've found to 'break lock' without boresighting is to slew away long enough, and then back.

Instead, when this happens I turn off dry, extend, and then line up again (without ever changing the TPOD). Preferably from a better angle. Then uncage mav, confirm good lock, and rifle.

i7 9700k | GTX 1080 | 32 gb | X55 + ProFlight pedals | TrackIR | Win10

Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria

A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-16C | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | Ka50 | FC3 | CA | SC | Kiowa