The Motion Integrated G-Seat

Hi everyone!

I came up with a new method to induce the sensation of motion and acceleration in seat-based simulators!

I call it the Motion Integrated G-Seat as it combines the strengths of a motion platform with those of a G-Seat and integrates them into one single system.

It is able to deliver an unprecedented sensation of intense, swiftly reversible and sustainable feeling of motion and acceleration in all axes.

Find out more about the seat on my website: https://bergisons.simpit.info/motion-integrated-g-seat.

motion-integrated-g-seat_web.jpg

There are some youtube videos I made so far to show the seat in action:

*NEW* (14.05.2020) Teaser:

part 1: Introduction

part 2: Racing Rars

part 3: Flight Simulators

Enjoy, Bergison

UPDATE 24.10.2022

Dear follower of the Motion Integrated G-Seat project,

after many struggles and countless hours of work put into this project, I am happy to announce the release of the non-commercial DIY license.
Individuals will finally be able to build their own copy of the seat for their private use.

Please visit https://makers.bergison.com for more information.
Thanks for your patience and determination up to this moment!

Best regards,
Chris

Edited by Bergison
update
  • Like 1

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

Clever design, I like it.

The one thing that does rather stand out is the mounts for your pedals and HOTAS, which I assume would need to somehow also be mounted to the seat.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

That's brilliant. I would definitely be interested in purchasing that once available. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

My Questions are:

1). Can you do a uh-1 seat?

2). Can you do one that will replace the seat in a speedmaster flight cockpit frame?

3). As above. What about hotas and pedals?

4). Cost, how much?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thanks for your nice comments and also your questions!

Mounting a stick and throttle to the moving part should be no problem. Rudders would cause too large a lever and would also be moved too much for a fixed cockpit. However, using the seat with fixed controls (not mounted to the moving part) feels good and natural, as the shifting of the body corresponds to the shifting one would get under real accelerations!

In video #2 I use a fixed steering wheel and I didn't find that distracting, despite me being moved relative to it - it felt just like in a real car.

@ BlacleyCole, the seat could be built in any other layout I guess, be it car or helicopter seats, so UH-1s too. I just built it like an ejection seat because I want to use it in my F-18 sim. Regarding space requirements: the seat needs only about 2,5 cm / 1 in to the left and right, so not that much. It should fit easily in any cockpit or car simulator.

Costs: do you mean what it cost me to build, or for how much I would sell it? Well, due to A LOT of trial and error during development (mainly finding suitable motors and drivers), I did had some costs. The sole components finally used in the prototype as shown cost me about 1400 €.

As I also state on my website, I neither possess the resources nor the time currently to produce the seat for others to buy, so it is not for sale at the moment - sorry!

If there is demand for such a system, I might consider selling the design/patent to a company willing to produce it.

Very nice work!

I would think that any noise from the seat would be drowned out by the roar of the ECS and the jet engines behind the pilot :)

How are the VR goggles treating you in the cockpit? Can you see the controls well enough under the face seal to operate the switches and stuff?

Great design concept which would be a fantastic product offering to the serious flight simmer and, car driving enthusiasts, alike. I'd also be one of the first in line to purchase - whether it be as a patented/design plan single-user sale (for the user to independently build) or, through a manufacturer selling the finished product to the masses. Either way, in my view, you should move forward with getting your integrated-g-seat into the market at your earliest possible convenience. Again, a great product. BTW, also love your Hornet Pit.

Best wishes and luck,

Mike "Mad Max" (DCS F/A-18 Novice Driver)

Very cool! But sounds very expensive... If parts only cost you 1500 euros, by the time there is commission to be made etc, you're looking at a 2000 USD plus seat.

Whether that's a bargain or not in the world of moving sim seats, that's out of reach for most of us I think.

just my humble opinion. What a great concept though!

Thank you guys!

(*quieter operation for sure, and smoother, more fluid movements, software?)
The motors in the prototype are not acoustically screened at the moment, which could reduce the noise level. But like DeatMeat already wrote, any noise from the seat is easily drowned out by any simulated motor, jet-engine or whatever other sound source.

As for smoother movements, that is solely a software setting. For the 2nd video, I had a 1:1 acceleration pass-through from the ralley car without any damping. If that felt too rough, a smoother tuning with more damping or spike-cancellation would of course be possible.

Can you see the controls well enough under the face seal ...
I can: the limited view of the real cockpit with a VR headset on was annoying to me when I first tried VR. I solved this by cutting away the plastic on the lower side of the rift to just short of the lenses. With the headset on, I can now see my real cockpit right up to the glareshield, from where on I see the VR world through the lenses. For me, that is the best combination achievable until a suitable solution with augmented reality gets available.

Very cool! But sounds very expensive... If parts only cost you 1500 euros, by the time there is commission to be made etc, you're looking at a 2000 USD plus seat.

Whether that's a bargain or not in the world of moving sim seats, that's out of reach for most of us I think.

just my humble opinion. What a great concept though!

You mean 500$ more than my graphic card ? The horror :D

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

• 2 weeks later...

DigitalEngine, a do-it yourself kit is certainly an option if a market launch of the full system should turn out unfeasible. I doubt however, that any available chair could be fitted to the system, as the seat needs to change it's geometry and is therefore closely linked to (is rather a part of) the force distributing mechanism.

Unbelievable. I think that's the best implementation of motion for flight I've ever seen. Thanks for this last video - this really brings it all home for me.

I think I need this to be part of my life - right now. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

wow

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

As promised, the 3rd video of the Motion Integrated G-Seat, where I take it for a ride in my F/A-18 Super Hornet flight simulator, is now online. Enjoy!

Fantastic work. I hope you can bring this to the market as a kit or plans or whatever. It really looks like it brings the experience to the next level

I love this device...

Great work! Hope can be bought/built sometime...

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...

Next level Genosse, good work. I'd pay up to 1800 to 2000€ for one. As far as I could see there is no need to attach the seat to the floor with screws or similar since it has enough mass of its own. So you could reposition it quickly whenever and whereever correct? How much is its weight?

Edited by Der Hirte

Simxperience is coming out with a renewed version of their G-seat, the GS-5. Price $2999.

So I guess that's about the price point where it would be profitable for a company. I'd be willing to pay that, good construction quality, and high quality motors ... Anyway, fantastic piece of kit, and I hope it'll be available for others sometime in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, I plan to shoot a video showing the seat in DCS. What would you like to see preferably?

If you ask me it wouldn't matter which module you're displaying as long as you can see what the seat itself is doing, like you did with the hornet video. I'm sure the best would be a 10 minute or so compilation of different modules for marketing purposes.

Would you tell me how much its weight is, also for shipping purposes? With this seat you don't even need a dedicated "hardcore" simpit but you can relocate the seat to your desktop whenever you want to fly. Much better flexibility than a fullblown simpit. I love it.

Edited by Der Hirte

• 1 month later...