MS FFB2 or CH Fighterstick

Tag

Hi everyone – I recently bought the UH1 pack for DCS and have been looking at upgrading to a joystick since I enjoy the game a lot. Now I was set on a CH fighterstick but keep reading praises on the MS FFB2. I'd like to fly exclusively helicopters so I was wondering what I should be getting. Is the MS FFB2 recommended because it doesn't auto center?

Opening it would probably void the warranty. And considering that I was born with two left hands... Probably not a good idea :music_whistling:

How does the fighterstick feel when flying choppers? Is it manageable?

I have a fighterstick. I wonder if you could open it up and take out the centering springs?

you can take the springs out, but the stick won't stay in the position you leave it in. it will just be loose stick.

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx

That would be good for a helicopter

you will not be able to take your hand off the stick, that is not right, i think. heli will dive hard )))

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx

after friends suggestion in this forum, I got my first FF stick, FFB2.

and FFB2 is the only FF stick I have.

About auto center, after i try FFB stick, I think nonFF sticks' auto center function is the biggest barrier to fly heli smoothly. and FFB2 has auto center force but different.

all I can say is my heli skill is suddenly improved by the FFB2, I fly heli in FSX and many other games, but when I fly HU-1DCS , I found I don't really know how to fly a heli, because this Huey is so great. With nonFF stick, it is really hard, almost impossible, for me to fly Huey as smooth as tuitor did in training video, but after FFB2, Woooh, suddenly it became so easy, I mean, touchable to reach a smooth fly.

And, you can feel the air, at least I smile like a child.

year before, when FF stick appear, I thought it is just for those gamer who like enjoy the gun shooting and I turn a cold should to it.

After I try FFB2 alone, I regret that I miss so many years to fly with FF stick.

I have to say, FFB2 is the only one I tried, I not qualify to say good or not. ATAG Lewis is expert.

Talk about Huey fly, the only weird thing I met with FFB2 is:

for instance, to stablize the horizon, I hole stick 5 degree left to the center, then I press trimmer, but the stick will suddenly move to 5 degree right, the opposite dirction. So now if I want bank 5 degree left to stay horizon, I need tilt stick 5 to the right and press trimmer on cyclic. So it is really hard to trim it precisely. That only happen on X roll Axis. Y Axis is fine and good.

I don't know why? any friend can illuminate?

IF this problem can be resolved for my stick, FFB2 is much better than nonFF stick for heli flight.

Anyway, DON't buy FFB2! don't forget!

because I want to buy one more, as backup HAHAHA

hope helpful

Edited by bin801

IIRC this has been talked about before, try reversing the X axis was the fix if I again recall correctly.

I have that stick too but don't use it much, only as a backup if the other 2 fail LoL.

I didn't know MS still makes the FFB2 stick, thought they stopped years ago selling game hardware other than for their consoles.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

after friends suggestion in this forum, I got my first FF stick, FFB2.

and FFB2 is the only FF stick I have.

About auto center, after i try FFB stick, I think nonFF sticks' auto center function is the biggest barrier to fly heli smoothly. and FFB2 has auto center force but different.

all I can say is my heli skill is suddenly improved by the FFB2, I fly heli in FSX and many other games, but when I fly HU-1DCS , I found I don't really know how to fly a heli, because this Huey is so great. With nonFF stick, it is really hard, almost impossible, for me to fly Huey as smooth as tuitor did in training video, but after FFB2, Woooh, suddenly it became so easy, I mean, touchable to reach a smooth fly.

And, you can feel the air, at least I smile like a child.

year before, when FF stick appear, I thought it is just for those gamer who like enjoy the gun shooting and I turn a cold should to it.

After I try FFB2 alone, I regret that I miss so many years to fly with FF stick.

I have to say, FFB2 is the only one I tried, I not qualify to say good or not. ATAG Lewis is expert.

Talk about Huey fly, the only weird thing I met with FFB2 is:

for instance, to stablize the horizon, I hole stick 5 degree left to the center, then I press trimmer, but the stick will suddenly move to 5 degree right, the opposite dirction. So now if I want bank 5 degree left to stay horizon, I need tilt stick 5 to the right and press trimmer on cyclic. So it is really hard to trim it precisely. That only happen on X roll Axis. Y Axis is fine and good.

I don't know why? any friend can illuminate?

IF this problem can be resolved for my stick, FFB2 is much better than nonFF stick for heli flight.

Anyway, DON't buy FFB2! don't forget!

because I want to buy one more, as backup HAHAHA

hope helpful

This is super useful, thanks for taking the time to write your impressions. I have also read a lot of good things about the MS FFB2 but was always left skeptical because of how old the technology is. It seems the FFB is really useful for flying helicopters specifically.

IIRC this has been talked about before, try reversing the X axis was the fix if I again recall correctly.

I have that stick too but don't use it much, only as a backup if the other 2 fail LoL.

I didn't know MS still makes the FFB2 stick, thought they stopped years ago selling game hardware other than for their consoles.

Bit

What are the other sticks that you use?

The main reason why the FFB2 is great for helos seems to be the complete lack of static friction, it's completely effortless to make tiny movements. It also has a rather loose center position without harsh transitions.

The one big issue for me was the grip being too small and causing my hand to cramp after a while, i ended up modding it with a grip for an old Thrustmaster x-fighter stick.

At this point i prefer it to the Warthog unless i really need a lot of buttons.

Bit

To make sure,

are you talking about reversing FFB2 X axis to resolve the problem I met said in #10?

Reversing in DCS option/control setting?

if yes, that willresolve the trimming problem, but the movment other than trim will be reversed, right? I'll try

if not in option/control setting, how to? where is the thread link?

Appreciate

There's a specific FFB button when you're in the control mapping screen that opens a popup and it's in there you need to reverse the settings. I know because I ran into the same issue as you when I first started using my FFB2 :)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

To clarify, the only thing you need to check in the 'FF Tune' menu is 'swap axis'.

Also make sure to not set any curves or deadzones on the stick, leave everything linear otherwise it gets out of sync.

Thank you sooooo much !!!

I'v tried, my FFB stick finally work perfectly.

So, "swap axis" is the key

and the huey X axis reverse problem I met is because in my DCS "FF tune", as default, X axis is inverted, don't know why.

Deeply appreciate!!!

Edited by bin801

There's a specific FFB button when you're in the control mapping screen that opens a popup and it's in there you need to reverse the settings. I know because I ran into the same issue as you when I first started using my FFB2 :)

Thank you so much!!

Now I enjoy FFB stick without any doubt in my mind:D:pilotfly:

The main reason why the FFB2 is great for helos seems to be the complete lack of static friction, it's completely effortless to make tiny movements. It also has a rather loose center position without harsh transitions.

The one big issue for me was the grip being too small and causing my hand to cramp after a while, i ended up modding it with a grip for an old Thrustmaster x-fighter stick.

At this point i prefer it to the Warthog unless i really need a lot of buttons.

Agree, now, I like FFB stick more than warthog.

unless I need many buttons.

What are the other sticks that you use?

Logitech 2.4 Cordless

Thrustmaster Hotas + Saitek Combat Rudders

I don't like the MS FFB2 as it has a huge dead center play and just misses a few buttons.

The Logitech has a few buttons more and is half the size on the base but a lot bigger on the handle, I prefer that one over the MS.

The Thrustmaster is another league, you cannot compare the above two with the TM Gear.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X